HH Deathfire comming Sat 27th june - Page 4 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Black Library Fiction Here is where you can discuss your favourite Black Library publications and graphic novels. If it's published by Black Library it goes here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-30-15, 07:09 AM
Chaos God of Old Night

Lord of the Night's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anakwanar View Post
- We are the Fire - repeated 100 times
- Vulkan Lives! - repeated 500 times
Somehow, I doubt this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brobaddon View Post
While some of the phrases used by Kyme can get repetitive, what do you exactly expect from a chapter that's entirely based on fire and earth, lol.
Exactly. I personally like the "Vulkan Lives" mantra because it is a window into how damaged the Salamander psyche is at the moment in the Heresy. The mantra is an attempt to deny a reality that their pragmatism demands they accept and deal with, but like all the other Legions they simply cannot process the fact that their Primarch is dead. The Night Lords broke down weeping and begging when they thought Curze was dying (Prince of Crows) and the Iron Hands went berserk (Fulgrim), the Salamanders have chosen Denial rather than Anger or Depression.

LotN

https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...red-souls.html - The Kabal of Shattered Souls Project Log
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/...Book%20Reviews - Check out Talk Wargaming for reviews by Lord of the Night.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-30-15, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
Brother Lucian's Flag is: Denmark

For those still on the fence about Deathfire, I came across this indepth review. But which is still light on spoilers.
http://www.corehammer.com/horus-here...-by-nick-kyme/
post #33 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-30-15, 06:34 PM
Mob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of the Night View Post
Exactly. I personally like the "Vulkan Lives" mantra because it is a window into how damaged the Salamander psyche is at the moment in the Heresy. The mantra is an attempt to deny a reality that their pragmatism demands they accept and deal with, but like all the other Legions they simply cannot process the fact that their Primarch is dead.
You're going to like this then, as this is pretty much what the novel is actually about. Mostly.

They do say "Vulkan Lives" a lot. An awful lot. It's well into double figures, I wouldn't be surprised if we're over twenty, and I'm 3/4 of the way through the book. Puts "wet leopard growls" to shame. But he has dialled down on his other empty imagery a lot and tried to make what is there have meaning for a change. There's really only stuff about ash and 'staring into the fire' if his usual window-dressing gumpf about ouch burny words bothers people, and there is actually a point to both.
Though if anyone here is in the 'I hate his obvious naming habits' group you're going to love that the ship they take their Odyssey upon is called the Charybdis and the Navigator is called Circe. Oh, and that the Really Angry Smashy Shouty Sallie is called Wrecker. Sorry, I mean, Rek'or.

So far, I think it might be the least objectionable Kyme book I've read, though.

post #34 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-30-15, 07:42 PM
piemelke's Flag is: Belgium

actually I did not dislike Rebirth, the sallies came across as the ultimate naive and hammer-anvil strategy chapter, no deus ex-machina da' kir persons this time,
actually i was wondering if da' kir was a similar psyker as the sudden space wolf psyker in the stormcaller book ?
post #35 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-01-15, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Lucian View Post
For those still on the fence about Deathfire, I came across this indepth review. But which is still light on spoilers.
http://www.corehammer.com/horus-here...-by-nick-kyme/
"Which I believe include Rob Sanders continuing the story on Mars, Graham McNeill tackling The Crimson King, ADB taking up the mantle of the webway project on Terra, Gav Thorpe handling the Dark Angels and events Caliban, Chris Wraight with a sequel to the excellent Scars and Dan Abnett carrying Imperium Secundus forward."

I'm having my doubts about whether the above projects are ever going to bear fruit
post #36 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-01-15, 01:47 PM

As far as we know ADB's Master of Mankind is just on hold while he works on the Black Legion stuff so that should still come out eventually.

Chris has been all quiet on the Black library front for a while but seeing as the Age of Sigmar novella has been written by him I assume he is still writing something 40k related and a Scars sequel would make sense.

The only one you highlighted that seems unlikely is Dan's as he has been working on so many other projects everywhere else him finding time to write HH, Warmaster, Penitent and the mysterious I am Slaughter alongside his comic, game, film and other novel work. but from what I heard he was pretty passionate about the Dreadwing project so it may see the light of day... eventually. With Angels of Caliban setting up the events with Corswain and Caliban's fall just on the horizon, having Dreadwing explain how the Lion got out of Ultramar and to Caliban after Angels of Caliban makes sense. So Dreadwing could just have been pushed back for that reason.

The one I'm most curious about is Rob Saunders Martian stuff. Wasn't cybernetica announced years ago then... poof! Nothing. Sounds like the most likely one to have been cancelled/ not happening.

And on a similar point, what happened to James Swallow? Do we know if hes doing anything Heresy related since the last Garro story? I know Death Guard was floating around a while back but has there been any news on that front?
post #37 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-02-15, 10:20 AM

forkmaster's Flag is: Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamingharry View Post
Chris has been all quiet on the Black library front for a while but seeing as the Age of Sigmar novella has been written by him I assume he is still writing something 40k related and a Scars sequel would make sense.

The one I'm most curious about is Rob Saunders Martian stuff. Wasn't cybernetica announced years ago then... poof! Nothing. Sounds like the most likely one to have been cancelled/ not happening.

And on a similar point, what happened to James Swallow? Do we know if he’s doing anything Heresy related since the last Garro story? I know Death Guard was floating around a while back but has there been any news on that front?
I tweeted Chris and it could be hinted at that he is working on more SW and Scars, but he wouldn't say exactly what. Rob Saunders only writes part-time, and works at a school which takes a lot of time (if I got it correctly). He pops up, writes something aweome (most of the time) then goes under the radar. Rumors are that after FTT, Swallow was demoted from writing anything other than Garro-audios. Heck I wouldn't be surprised if Chris got to write the Death Guard-story since he did a good job in Daemonology.
post #38 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-02-15, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forkmaster View Post
Rumors are that after FTT, Swallow was demoted from writing anything other than Garro-audios. Heck I wouldn't be surprised if Chris got to write the Death Guard-story since he did a good job in Daemonology.
Did people really think Fear to Tread was that bad? I only recently read it and thought it was great! Plus wasn't it the best selling book in the series so far? If that is the case that's a real shame, really enjoyed James' stuff and was hoping for something from him beyond knights errant.
post #39 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-02-15, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
Brother Lucian's Flag is: Denmark

Andy Smilie would probably do a better job of Blood Angels, given how good he is with the Flesh Tearers. FTT wasnt bad, but most blood angels came off as rather flat. But som epic scenes for sure.
post #40 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-02-15, 11:54 AM
csw

So Swallow gets "demoted" but Kyme gets a trilogy after Vulkan Lives?

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Black Library Fiction

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode