What the hell is going on with BL? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Black Library Fiction Here is where you can discuss your favourite Black Library publications and graphic novels. If it's published by Black Library it goes here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-11-15, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
Dazed and confused.

Khorne's Fist's Flag is: Ireland

Default What the hell is going on with BL?

Had a look at the New Release page over on BL. Of the 24 books on the first page, there are only three new titles, of which only one appears to be a full novel, Tech-Priest. Some of these re-releases are not even that old. Even on the second page most of them are shorts, collections of older stories, or wallpapers. Something is not right over there if all they can churn at the moment is re-releases.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-12-15, 12:56 AM

Freakytah's Flag is: USA

Yeah that whole site is getting very difficult to navigate. It's hard for me to tell what's new vs what's just repackaged shorts. The last HH novel I read was The Damnation of Pythos and I can't even tell if there's another actual HH novel to read.

There was a time I couldn't read the books fast enough, and they were all good. The quality level seems to have dropped very rapidly over the last few years, which is unfortunate to me because the books are what I enjoy most since I don't play the tabletop game.

post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-12-15, 01:42 AM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

Oh, another thread about the disappointment that is the Black Library?

EDIT: this is a sarcastic remark intended to further belittle BL's (failing) efforts.

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP

Last edited by ntaw; 06-12-15 at 02:06 AM.

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-12-15, 01:50 AM

Maybe if BL stopped being disappointing the threads about it would stop. :D
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-12-15, 03:48 AM

This is GW worlds business model, spam you with crap. Quantity not Quality is their tag line.
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-14-15, 08:00 PM
Rattlehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen74 View Post
This is GW worlds business model, spam you with crap. Quantity not Quality is their tag line.
Okay, find me a miniatures line with better quality models than GW that aren't 'spamming you with crap'.

Say what you like about GW, their quality of stuff is really high, it's just that the price for it is exponential rather than incremental which people would expect. I'd gladly, gladly pay more for GW models than any other models. Black Library, sure, I hear that it's gone to hell in a handbasket, but that's not enough to make sweeping statements about GW as a whole.

Sorry to drag the models into a BL thread, but the above statement is plain wrong.

Creator of Utilitarian Ultramarines Memes - join the XIII on Facebook (no XVII allowed).
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-14-15, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightSun View Post
Okay, find me a miniatures line with better quality models than GW that aren't 'spamming you with crap'.

Say what you like about GW, their quality of stuff is really high, it's just that the price for it is exponential rather than incremental which people would expect. I'd gladly, gladly pay more for GW models than any other models. Black Library, sure, I hear that it's gone to hell in a handbasket, but that's not enough to make sweeping statements about GW as a whole.

Sorry to drag the models into a BL thread, but the above statement is plain wrong.
No it isn't wrong.
I'll agree the models are high quality, but look at what else they do and you'll see they put a lot of stuff out there that isn't great, that doesn't stand the test of time, that is only designed to achieve one thing, a cash injection as all the fan boys buy up the latest offering and then a couple of years down the line, you never see it again except on some dusty shelf in a warehouse waiting for a troll to fill a once in a blue moon internet order.

Even with their good stuff it's spammed out. You barely get time to build an army before a new version of it is released these days and reinventing the rules all the damn time. How many versions of WHFB magic have there been now? Not to mention the massive price hikes. You lot are getting ripped off all the time but you refuse to see it.
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-14-15, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khorne's Fist View Post
Had a look at the New Release page over on BL. Of the 24 books on the first page, there are only three new titles, of which only one appears to be a full novel, Tech-Priest. Some of these re-releases are not even that old. Even on the second page most of them are shorts, collections of older stories, or wallpapers. Something is not right over there if all they can churn at the moment is re-releases.
My best guess is that the authors are getting burned out. Also I'd love to see the eisenhorn series re printed.
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-14-15, 11:56 PM

Squire's Flag is: Soth Korea

Some time ago I was in Waterstones looking out for a new HH book I'd heard was recently released, wondering if it was one of the ones on the shelf or they just didn't have it. I made the mistake of going to the BL site on my phone and stood there for ages getting more and more confused until I decided it mustn't have been released yet

When I got home later and looked it up it turned out the book was a limited edition novella so wouldn't have been there anyway. I wasn't impressed

www.communitycomp.org/

^ Balanced 40k!
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-15-15, 04:53 AM

I've said before that the BL website is shockingly bad.
They should have one point of reference for each title. You look up, for example, Horus Rising and it should return listing for that Title with all the various format options listed underneath. Not 3 listings with multiple options under each one.

They should also organise series better so people know what the hell goes with what because at the moment I doubt anyone, even BL, has a Scooby doos about what goes with what without having to look up some reference sheet.

Complete shambles.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Black Library Fiction

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode