What the hell is going on with BL? - Page 4 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Black Library Fiction Here is where you can discuss your favourite Black Library publications and graphic novels. If it's published by Black Library it goes here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-03-15, 12:33 AM

Scrad's Flag is: Australia

Not to mention that carving out an empire in the stars would take a bit of time if it were 20 planets at a time.. Plenty of battles and compliances that didn't require a primarch but did require a well trained army or force.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-06-15, 02:13 AM

Goochman70's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrad View Post
Not to mention that carving out an empire in the stars would take a bit of time if it were 20 planets at a time.. Plenty of battles and compliances that didn't require a primarch but did require a well trained army or force.
Yeah and please don't forget that Rogal Dorn didn't get to live in a single incursion against a battle barge of the iron hands I believed, he made it all the way to the bride but got waxed there.
WTFO. Kunrad can kill thousands of Dark Angeles and survived but Dorn gets killed! !!! And he was accompanied by his best.
WTFO!
Can we say bullshit!!!!
Black Library has a very sick sense of humor and it's been showing up on this novels. They have changed the Heresy how they see fit and sometimes I feel it's not fitting well.
I really hope it doesn't come and bite them in the ass at the end result.
Brother G

Remember the Fallen at Rynns World
post #33 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-08-15, 05:56 PM

Goochman70's Flag is: USA

The only loyalist primarch that has any kind of godlike power that BL has shown is Vulkan, he can't die but the mo'fo is crazier than a mountain goat.

Brother G

Remember the Fallen at Rynns World

post #34 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-03-15, 03:04 PM
visit roleplay threads!

unxpekted22's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goochman70 View Post
The only loyalist primarch that has any kind of godlike power that BL has shown is Vulkan, he can't die but the mo'fo is crazier than a mountain goat.

Brother G

Guilliman survived in the vacuum of space for an incredible amount of time in 'Know No Fear" as one other example.

And his mental abilities displayed in both that and The Unremembered Empire are incredible as well, definitely far beyond normal human range. I did think the fight with Curze got pretty carried away though. He seemed OP, for sure. I'm sure Guilliman, the Lion, AND a crazed Vulkan could have taken him out just fine....especially since a squad of legionaries put Guilliman in the hospital for a couple days with some bolter fire... Some discrepancies for sure. But if you consider the size and scope of the project these authors have embarked upon, it is easy to see why some things don't always stay as consistent as we would like.

Also, I don't think it has ever been said what, exactly, happened to Dorn. All they know is that he went missing, and parts of his armor and body were found, but nothing close to the whole thing. I believe it is widely suspected, and accepted, that something much worse than a Bridge's honor guard or some such took him out.

Continuing off of Khorne's last comment about why the legions were needed, 20 Primarchs would not have been able to hold the same kind of formidable garrison on conquered worlds, either. They needed armies, even with demi-god leaders. It was because of their power and awe that the Legions revered them so highly, looked up to them so much.

-----

Anyway, I am glad to see re-releases, but not fi they are more expensive than before. That seems kind of weird. They have been producing a lot of books in recent years but I have only been reading the novels on a regular basis for about that time so I'm not sure if it has been significantly less than prior times. We don't know GW's ultimate goals since they don't like to communicate with us for some reason. They may purposefully be trying to create a smaller more niche consumer base than one that is as big as possible. the quality of their stuff has become vastly better recently, but indeed too expensive for most. They have released a lot of those 'space marines battles' novels than I thought they would do, the horus hersy novels I think have been coming out the same pace as usual? How many of those usually come out each year since it began? I suppose I could look it up.

The point being, maybe they are focusing on quality over quantity, even in the BL sector. Quality in stories is of course, very subjective though, as we can see by this thread. There's always been varying degrees of BL novels.

I know some of the big BL authors have been doing other projects lately. Abnett especially, with his screenplays and such.

Perhaps it also has something to do with this whole changing of Warhammer fantasy thing? I do not keep up with Fantasy much but Age of Sigmar definitely seems to involve a lot of fluff changes, and this may have put a damper on the number of releases for that section this year.

You can never be prepared for the unexpected

Last edited by unxpekted22; 08-03-15 at 03:07 PM.
post #35 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-03-15, 08:06 PM
Mob

Stack 'em low, sell 'em high. Synergise with the models. Create the idea that the novels have inherent value as objects well above any reasonable price. Make higher profit on lower overall sales, which also brings down your overheads even as you increase the 'quality' of the novels by making them hardcover and adding four drawings.
post #36 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-04-15, 10:27 AM

I can't wait for the first Ruinous Edition to come out. That'll be a $100 novella, but it'll have blood and shit on the cover, so well worth it.

And the ultimate: The Imperial Edition. A $100 Quick Read with "I'm the Emperor of Mankind, and I approve of this story." on the cover. I mean, how can you argue with the Emperor???
post #37 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-04-15, 01:31 PM
visit roleplay threads!

unxpekted22's Flag is: USA

I thought about this some more. The BL forums don't have near the traffic they used to a year or two ago. I think videogames might be killing tabletop soon. You can be just as creative with many of them now, and they cost way less. And you can find people to play the same game with much easier thanks to online gaming. Since GW and BL budgets are tied together, and their core authors are busy with other projects, it makes sense for fewer releases.
post #38 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-06-15, 03:30 AM
Mob

I doubt they'll let tabletop die, they're a model company. And they spent a year or two there wrecking all their video game rep in pursuit of quick cashflow. Credibility in that sector is only now just starting to show any glimmer of showing up again, and there's still a few hurdles to clear (and stinkers to come out).

If the pattern of user interest on the Lex has any anecdotal bearing, the DoW games brought a load of people into the community.

I think we've gotten as close as we can get to working out what's going on with the current info we have. Consensus seems to be that increasing mandate from on high about content synergy and the pursuit of the 'as much profit for as little outlay' strategy is responsible for all the nonsense.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Black Library Fiction

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode