Deathfire - Horus Heresy 32 - Page 5 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Black Library Fiction Here is where you can discuss your favourite Black Library publications and graphic novels. If it's published by Black Library it goes here.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-14-15, 01:39 AM
The Emperor Protects
 
Angel of Blood's Avatar
Angel of Blood's Flag is: Wales
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 5,262
Reputation: 41
Default

Yeah I'm getting really tired of all the Shattered Legion novels. To date the three decimated Legions seem to have contributed more to the fight against the traitors than anyone else.

Blood Angels - Ambushed at Signus, jumped to Ultramar. Fuck all since.
Space Wolves - Burning of Prospero, not actually part of the Heresy at that point technically. Ambushed by the Alpha Legion, escaped to Terra. Fuck all since.
White Scare - Stuck at Chondax, pushed past Alpha Legion and went to Prospero. Promptly ambushed by the Death Guard - Sensing a fucking pattern here aren't we? - made for Terra. Small bands of the 'traitor' White Scars sent out by the Khan, but the Legions and Primarch? Fuck all since.
Imperial Fists - Stuck on Terra, but we'll forgive this one as that's their deal. Went to the Phall system though and a brief trip to Mars. Fuck all since.
Ultramarines - Ambushed (AGAIN with the ambushes) by the World Eaters and Word Bearers. Stuck in Ultramar, fuck all contribution to the Heresy by merit of being stuck.

Dark Angels - The only other loyalist Legion not at Istvaan V to be doing stuff, fought a long crusade in the Thramas system. The Lion went to Ultramar to get the Ultramarines into the fight (promptly stuck though I guess), a large portion of his Legion continuing to fight the traitors under the command of Corswain.

The 'Shattered' Legion on the other hand.
Corax and the Raven Guard are trolling the traitors everywhere they go.
The Salamanders and Iron Hands seem to be just about everywhere causing problems for the traitors wherever they go.

Seriously. What the fuck. Fuck off with the Shattered Legions and actually get the full strength loyalists into the god damned fight already.
Angel of Blood is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #42 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-14-15, 06:13 AM
Craw-Daddy
 
ckcrawford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,416
Reputation: 29
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel of Blood View Post
Yeah I'm getting really tired of all the Shattered Legion novels. To date the three decimated Legions seem to have contributed more to the fight against the traitors than anyone else.

Blood Angels - Ambushed at Signus, jumped to Ultramar. Fuck all since.
Space Wolves - Burning of Prospero, not actually part of the Heresy at that point technically. Ambushed by the Alpha Legion, escaped to Terra. Fuck all since.
White Scare - Stuck at Chondax, pushed past Alpha Legion and went to Prospero. Promptly ambushed by the Death Guard - Sensing a fucking pattern here aren't we? - made for Terra. Small bands of the 'traitor' White Scars sent out by the Khan, but the Legions and Primarch? Fuck all since.
Imperial Fists - Stuck on Terra, but we'll forgive this one as that's their deal. Went to the Phall system though and a brief trip to Mars. Fuck all since.
Ultramarines - Ambushed (AGAIN with the ambushes) by the World Eaters and Word Bearers. Stuck in Ultramar, fuck all contribution to the Heresy by merit of being stuck.

Dark Angels - The only other loyalist Legion not at Istvaan V to be doing stuff, fought a long crusade in the Thramas system. The Lion went to Ultramar to get the Ultramarines into the fight (promptly stuck though I guess), a large portion of his Legion continuing to fight the traitors under the command of Corswain.

The 'Shattered' Legion on the other hand.
Corax and the Raven Guard are trolling the traitors everywhere they go.
The Salamanders and Iron Hands seem to be just about everywhere causing problems for the traitors wherever they go.

Seriously. What the fuck. Fuck off with the Shattered Legions and actually get the full strength loyalists into the god damned fight already.
I don't see how anyone can ignore these facts. They could just make a soap opera with all this shattered legion run time.

I wonder if the good authors have stepped away from the series because of all this stupid shit.
ckcrawford is offline  
post #43 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-14-15, 06:20 AM
Senior Member
 
Garviel loken.'s Avatar
Garviel loken.'s Flag is: Canada
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 279
Reputation: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckcrawford View Post
I don't see how anyone can ignore these facts. They could just make a soap opera with all this shattered legion run time.

I wonder if the good authors have stepped away from the series because of all this stupid shit.
ADB said a while back he is taking a break from the series. Dan abnett is busy with other commitments.

The two "best" authors seem to be gone for a while anyways, hopefully the "weaker" authors can pick up the slack.(Not to use weaker as a derogatory term, they are all good in their own right, but ADB and abnett are just superior.)

Today, I march for Calth
Garviel loken. is offline  
 
post #44 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-14-15, 06:44 AM
Craw-Daddy
 
ckcrawford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,416
Reputation: 29
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garviel loken. View Post
ADB said a while back he is taking a break from the series. Dan abnett is busy with other commitments.

The two "best" authors seem to be gone for a while anyways, hopefully the "weaker" authors can pick up the slack.(Not to use weaker as a derogatory term, they are all good in their own right, but ADB and abnett are just superior.)
I wish them the best. I'm not sure they will come back to the series as strong as before. I really don't know how they feel about people pissing on their legacy. Some of the novels were really written well with lots of creativity, and I feel that some of the authors could potentially be demoralized by some of the crap the series has pulled. I wonder how Abnett feels about having his best character turned into a mockery.
ckcrawford is offline  
post #45 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-14-15, 08:40 AM
Senior Member
 
forkmaster's Avatar
forkmaster's Flag is: Sweden
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Eye of Terror!
Posts: 2,321
Reputation: 15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckcrawford View Post
Essentially making something out of nothing? Perhaps. Its funny how a legion which initially contributed very limited contribution to the Heresy has more novels and short stories than most legions.

That goes for the stupid Raven stories as well.
Well Kyme should be given credit that he tries to make them important, but most Shattered Legions-stories haven't lived up any higher importance with the exception of Deliverence Lost which tapped into the old background of the Raven Guards gene-seed being ruined. But it was poorly executed.

I've said in the past that the Salamanders could have been a interesting light-theme of "good guys" as opposed to the dark-theme of the Night Lords "bad guys". But none of the characters have been interesting and much of the Legion is silly.

Now that we are being overflodded by Shattered Legions story which removes the tragic impact of Isstvan V which happened in Fulgrim and The First Heretic.
forkmaster is offline  
post #46 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-14-15, 02:30 PM
Senior Member
 
mal310's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 327
Reputation: 4
Default

Medusan is a full sized anthology and Dan Abnett is one of the authors. Not sure what legion he's writting about but it will be interesting to see his take on them.
mal310 is offline  
post #47 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-14-15, 06:04 PM
Senior Member
 
Garviel loken.'s Avatar
Garviel loken.'s Flag is: Canada
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 279
Reputation: 2
Default

I personally think kyme should stick with the audio dramas. I love his work so far on thiel(Censure, Strategem) and am very excited for The Red Marked.

Today, I march for Calth
Garviel loken. is offline  
post #48 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-15-15, 08:17 AM
Senior Member
 
forkmaster's Avatar
forkmaster's Flag is: Sweden
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Eye of Terror!
Posts: 2,321
Reputation: 15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garviel loken. View Post
I personally think kyme should stick with the audio dramas. I love his work so far on thiel(Censure, Strategem) and am very excited for The Red Marked.
That or short stories. His EC-work was really good.
forkmaster is offline  
post #49 of 69 (permalink) Old 09-30-15, 10:24 PM
Senior Member
 
Kharn The Complainer's Avatar
Kharn The Complainer's Flag is: Former Soviet Union
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Terra
Posts: 455
Reputation: 18
Default

I have just finished reading Deathfire and was actually amazed. The last few novels and short stories I have read have been average, but this one really impressed me.
It felt like things were actually progressing in the Heresy world and we were not just being presented with some meaningless throw away encounters between characters we neither cared about nor were memerable.

Deathfire expands on where things left off after The Unremembered Empire. I actually really enjoyed the novel, which was a surprise since I care little for the drakes.
In my opinion (which is all that matters) it's the best novel since TUE and Vengeful Spirit. It's nice to see the series moving forwards again.

Oh...and an open letter to ALL the BL writers. (I'm looking at you Nick Kyne since you mentioned in Deathfire that crew were instantly freezing in the vacuum of space)

YOU DO NOT INSTANTLY FREEZE WHEN EXPOSED TO THE VACUUM OF SPACE!

I thought it was common knowledge, or at least should be for people writing a great deal about space battles.

I hope this will help future writers...

Quote:
The other things, you can't really do much about. After about 10 seconds or so, your skin and the tissue underneath will begin to swell as the water in your body starts to vaporise in the absence of atmospheric pressure. You won't balloon to the point of exploding, though, since human skin is strong enough to keep from bursting; and, if you're brought back to atmospheric pressure, your skin and tissue will return to normal.
It also won't affect your blood, since your circulatory system is able to keep your blood pressure regulated, unless you go into shock. The moisture on your tongue may begin to boil, though, as reported by Jim LeBlanc who was exposed to near vacuum in a test chamber in 1965. LeBlanc's suit sprung a leak, and he remained conscious for about 14 seconds; his last sensation was bubbling on his tongue (he was safely revived, as the researchers began repressurising the chamber almost immediately -- after about 15 seconds).
Because you will be exposed to unfiltered cosmic radiation, you can expect some nasty sunburn, and you'll probably also get a case of decompression sickness.You would not, however, freeze straight away, despite the extremely cold temperatures; heat does not leave the body quickly enough for you to freeze before you suffocate, due to the lack of both convection and conduction.
If you do die in space, your body will not decompose in the normal way, since there is no oxygen. If you were near a source of heat, your body would mummify; if you were not, it would freeze. If your body was sealed in a space suit, it would decompose, but only for as long as the oxygen lasted. Whichever the condition, though, your body would last for a very, very long time without air to facilitate weathering and degradation. Your corpse could drift in the vast expanse of space for millions of years.

Basically, if you've seen what happens when the guy gets decompressed in the film Event Horizon, you're not far off. I've been decompressed several times and I have never frozen. Of course, I have my transhuman biology to thank for that, but the same also goes for normal humans.
I do wonder if the writers are aware, but since the mistake has been made severals times in earlier books, they just keep consistency, even if it is consistently WRONG.
Kharn The Complainer is offline  
post #50 of 69 (permalink) Old 09-30-15, 10:47 PM
Member
 
Sevatar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 75
Reputation: 1
Default

There are a ton of these scientific/technical mistakes when it comes to 40k books. But most science-fiction literature has these as well, so I'm inclined to give them a pass on that one.
Sevatar is offline  
Reply

  Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Black Library Fiction

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome