Rant about Graham MacNeil... - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Black Library Fiction Here is where you can discuss your favourite Black Library publications and graphic novels. If it's published by Black Library it goes here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-09-15, 07:30 PM

forkmaster's Flag is: Sweden

I did a review on The Outcast Dead and Wolf Hunt on my Youtube-channel for you who want to check it out, but overall problem is that McNeill tried to jam in enough material to feed 4 separate novellas. Only 1 of them were good, which was the stuff about the Astrotelepathica. The main-characters the Outcast didn't show up until after half the book and well they didn't leave any proper impression (1 even didn't even get a feature in the personae). I gave the tips that McNeill should have done a novella about the Astrotelepathica and explain the organisation just like he did with Mechanicum. Then it would lead up until the culimnation of Magnus coming to Terra.

Then the novel The Outcast Dead would pick up right from there, it would skip the whole Thunder Warriors-plot and it would integrate Wolf Hunt into the story. In that way it would explore the Astrotelepathica and then get the proper chance to develop the Outcast-characters fully beyond just mere stereotypes.

I'm currently working on Angel Exterminatus on how to fix that novel as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-13-15, 06:45 PM
Craw-Daddy

Not sure what to think about the guy honestly.

The Heresy Series really gave McNeill a chance to develop himself as a writer. And for a while it did. He had an excellent opportunity with A Thousand Sons to really study his characters and add their flaws. The debates we have had on these forums about whether Magnus was a piece of shit or a loyal son have been such great debates. And its because of the fact that McNeill was able to show both sides well and let the reader chose what to think.

McNeill's most masterful line was when he makes Magnus say something along the lines of, "They were going to destroy the library... and I stopped them." So many readers pretty much leave this book thinking the Thousand Sons and Magnus were picked on and didn't start anything. McNeill allowed reader to absorb everything else and avoid the little hints. It made the story beautiful.

The reason I mention A Thousand Sons is because it just seems so strange how bad he displays the villains in most of his novels. With Angel Exterminates, I feel he tried to display this, by making Perturabo look like a bro and his legion a bunch of crazy incompetent idiots. If an Imperial Guard regiment was depicted like that I wouldn't have taken the novel seriously.

Its that stereotypical villain that Mr. McNeill has fallen back on like a bad habit. Its absolutely disgusting, when considering how authors including himself have worked really hard on their novels to display the fallen legions with different aspects of evil and good. Its what I've said countless times, which is the fall of the legions was a folly well beyond simply the Imperium losing half of itself, but an Imperium fighting half of itself. How many times before the heresy and even a bit after have we heard, a war where brother fought brother and killed because of different beliefs. The emotion and true drama in the series is that the legions had fought side by side like brothers to make something beautiful and then tore each other apart.

Instead we have authors that do this stereotypical villainous horse shit. Evil laughter, curling their mustache and plotting to defeat the true good which is the Imperium. Its fucking dog shit.

Unfortunately, McNeill really puts himself in the middle between success and shit that has seriously damaged the series.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-24-15, 12:05 PM

Roninman's Flag is: Finland

Seems that Graham has been offered job at Riot games.

If you donít want to read to the end, the short version is this: Iíve been offered Ė and have accepted Ė a job with Riot Games, the producer of the phenomenally successful League of Legends. Clan McNeill is moving to Los Angeles.
Iíve been chatting with Riot for a little while and now theyíve offered me the position of Senior Narrative Writer in their Los Angeles offices. So, yeah, in the summer weíre leaving Nottingham and the UK and relocating to sunny California in the US of A.
This wasnít a decision we took lightly. I enjoyed the work I was doing, where I was doing it and the way life revolved around our kids, friends, family, work, school and all the usual happenings that make up the everyday. We had Evan and Amber to think of, our own jobs and our house, our friends and families. We liked having all that close, and the idea of making such a life-changing upheaval was very scary. Far easier just to maintain the status quo, eh? In short, we were comfortable, but sometimes you need to change things up, to step out of your comfort zone, and I think we were all at that stage.
I first spoke with Riot back in December. I went over for an informal chat, not really knowing what to expect, but going in with an open mind. The people I met there were fantastic; full of passion and enthusiasm for what they were doing, and I came away feeling Iíd had a real meeting of minds with the spirit of Riotís creative heart. These were people who thrived on the sheer joy of creativity, where every avenue could be explored to see where it went. I came away tremendously excited at the possibility of working within those teams.
We went back over to California as a family in February so everyone could see LA and Santa Monica, to find out if it was a place we could see ourselves living and working. It most definitely was. And my second meeting with the creative types in Riot more than confirmed my desire to work with them. Their attitude to the work and the potential for all it offers in the future is incredible, which makes me tremendously excited about being part of it.
After some long, serious, grown-up talks about making the move, Anita and I came to the conclusion that the opportunities for our family were too incredible to pass up. Itís a life-changing adventure thatís going to be exciting and challenging all at the same time. Itís the kind of chance we had to snatch with both hands, as itís the kind that doesnít come around more than once. And Iíd hate to look back in years to come with any kind of regret for the chances we didnít take. So with a mixture of giggling excitement and trepidation at the thought of stepping into this brave new world, weíre getting packed up and looking west to this fresh phase of our future.
Ah, but what does this mean for all things WarhammerÖ?
Well, first and foremost, Iím a writer, so Iím not going to stop writing books any more than Iím going to choose to stop breathing. Iím still working on my current Horus Heresy novel, The Crimson King (Iíve just handed in the first halfÖ) and will continue to write for the Black Library. Clearly my output will diminish, what with having a full time, salaried day job, but Iíll still be keeping my hand in. I have stories of Uriel Ventris yet to tell and the Battle for Macragge isnít going to write itself. And, having been involved with the Horus Heresy series since its very opening act, Iíll be damned if Iím not going to show up for its final dramas and its curtain calls. Expect the odd quick read or audio to pop up here and there too. In short, Iím still going to keep you entertained with grim tales from the 41st Millennium, the Horus Heresy and beyond.
So, there you have it. As the summer dawns, Clan McNeill will be living it in California. Wish us well, and Iíll continue to talk to you all on Twitter, Facebook and e-mail.
Cheers,
Graham

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-24-15, 02:44 PM
The Emperor Protects

Angel of Blood's Flag is: Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roninman View Post
Iíll be damned if Iím not going to show up for its final dramas and its curtain calls.
Balls.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Black Library Fiction

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode