Lemartes: Guardian of the Lost - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Black Library Fiction Here is where you can discuss your favourite Black Library publications and graphic novels. If it's published by Black Library it goes here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-11-15, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Chaos God of Old Night

Lord of the Night's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default Lemartes: Guardian of the Lost

So with the deadline approaching, who here has completed the service stud challenge and earned themselves a copy of Lemartes: Guardian of the Lost, and what purchases did you make to earn a copy??

I earned my sixth stud today, these were my purchases in the challenge;

G&F Kinslayer and Rebirth: First Edition (1st)
The Fall of Altdorf, Wolf Hunt (CD) and Sagas of the Wolf (CD) (2nd)
The Lord of the End Times, Knights of the Imperium and Heart of Rage (CD) (3rd)
G&F Slayer, The Shape of the Hunt (CD) and Masque of Vyle (4th)
Adeptus Mechanicus: Skitarius (5th)
Archaon: Lord of Chaos, Kharn: Eater of Worlds and Howl of the Banshee/The Path Forsaken (6th)

So in the end I have not bought anything that I wouldn't have bought eventually, apart from maybe Sagas of the Wolf and (though only after listening to it) The Shape of the Hunt which was rather poor. But that's a moot point now, Lemartes will be shipped out next week and I am quite looking forward to reading it. That said though, if this thing turns out to be a novella that has been improperly labelled as a novel (like Tallarn: Ironclad) I will be livid.

LotN

https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...red-souls.html - The Kabal of Shattered Souls Project Log
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/...Book%20Reviews - Check out Talk Wargaming for reviews by Lord of the Night.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-11-15, 05:29 PM
serghe's Flag is: Australia

Since I live in Australia, it usually takes 2-3 weeks to get anything from UK. And I buy BL books from Book Depository(It still takes 2-3 weeks to get my books, but with lower prices, who cares.) Therefore with the money I saved, I only buy limited editions from BL.
I think I earned 9 studs in total.
My orders based on my BL accounts with value greater than $90 AUD are:
1. Sons of Wrath (First Edition) $100AUD
2. Visions of War (Limited Edition) & The Horus Heresy: Death and Defiance (Hardback) $117AUD
3. Honour of the Space Marines & Arjac Rockfist: Anvil of Fenris Limited Edition $105 AUD
4. Tempestus (Novella), Trial by Blood (Hardback) & The Horus Heresy: The Purge (Limited Edition) $122 AUD
5. Sabbat Crusade (First Edition) $100 AUD
6. The Horus Heresy: The Seventh Serpent (Limited Edition) & The Bloody Handed $160 AUD
7. Necromunda Omnibus 2, The Complete Kal Jerico, Titan: The Graphic Nove, Renegades of the Dark Millenniu, Catechism of Hate & Wolves of Fenris $212 AUD
8. Rebirth (First Edition) ($90AUD)
9. Rebirth (First Edition) ($90AUD) due to internet issue, I ordered Rebirth twice, BL helped me cancel the extra order.
10.The Horus Heresy: Tallarn - Ironclad (Limited Edition) ($90AUD)
In the BL website it states: order with more than $100AUD will give you a stud. But I think you will get a stud for order a First Edition like Rebirth($90AUD) and Ironclad($90AUD). Otherwise I won't get 9 studs.

Last edited by serghe; 04-11-15 at 05:53 PM.
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-12-15, 01:49 AM
I am Alpharius.

Doelago's Flag is: Finland

18 service studs, so 3 copies in total.

Won‘t list all my orders here, but basically every WH40K and HH novel released since the promotion started, along with picking up a few of the Direct Exclusive books I did not have when they got rid of them.

[Flerden] 9:05 pm: Why the hell can't he just go offline if he goes to watc tv?
[dark angel] 9:06 pm: It is Doelago, we will never know

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-12-15, 02:00 AM
Brother Lucian's Flag is: Denmark

Dont remember what I ordered. But after learning of the promotion, I willfully held back on buying ebooks. Waiting until the bundles had amassed to the 60e mark to buy them.

Only the End Times I couldnt hold back on and bought them immediately as they came out. But I earned the 6 studs about a month ago.
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-12-15, 09:26 AM

evanswolves's Flag is: England

1. Sons of wrath first edition
2. Corax soulforge and scorched earth limited edition novellas
3. Sons of lupercal and trial by blood gallery prints
4. Seventh serpent and legacies of betrayal
5. Seditions gate and death and defiance
6. Tallarn ironclad and trial by blood

So didn't go out of the way to buy anything just to get a stud
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-12-15, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of the Night View Post
That said though, if this thing turns out to be a novella that has been improperly labelled as a novel (like Tallarn: Ironclad) I will be livid.

LotN
Hmmm never realised they had said this was a novel (just checked and they do indeed) was expecting it to be like the other Lords Of The Space marine releases (mephiston and arjac rockfist) and to be novellas. Iv just asked David annandale on twitter for the page count.
Iam hoping the slipcase is better than the one for Arjac Rockfist as getting the book out of that thing is a royal pain in the bum
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-12-15, 01:33 PM

Hmmm you won't be happy lotn.. Around 173 pages not including the short stories
https://twitter.com/David_Annandale/...31628021239809
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-12-15, 01:39 PM
Brother Lucian's Flag is: Denmark

......173 pages?! Are they fething kidding us? This is no novel at all.
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-12-15, 05:37 PM
Deathwing Commissar

Phoebus's Flag is: USA

Look, no offense, but should anyone really be surprised by the length of Mephiston? As someone else mentioned, the preceding two entries in the same series were of considerably shorter length than most Black Library novels. You have to take that into consideration when making a financial commitment that probably exceeded 300/$400.

If you were going to spend that money on Black Library products anyways, then Lemartes is pure bonus and any disappointment as to its length has to take that into consideration. If you spent more than you normally would have, though, then I would argue you needed to do more research.

The Talon of Horus, for instance, was the first novel in an upcoming series; Sabbat Crusade was an anthology billed as a sequel to another Gaunt's Ghosts anthology, which itself was the same length as a novel. In both cases, there was reason to expect something with substantial word count. Lemartes, though?
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-12-15, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Chaos God of Old Night

Lord of the Night's Flag is: United Kingdom

F*ck!! I am pissed about this, seriously. This is pathetic on Black Librarys part. In fact I dare say it's false advertising. They knew that nobody would give a toss if this were another LE novella, so they bill it as a novel to boost sales. Lemartes is NOT a novel, it is a novella.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoebus View Post
Look, no offense, but should anyone really be surprised by the length of Mephiston?
Yes we should. Why? Because when both Mephiston and Arjac came out they were billed as "novellas". Lemartes has been billed as a "novel". Hell Deathstorm is the exact same wordcount and even that was billed as a "novella". Black Library don't make sense anymore. They need to sort out what the hell is a novel and a novella to the, because this is a sad joke.

I regret some of my purchases now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoebus View Post
In both cases, there was reason to expect something with substantial word count. Lemartes, though?
Why not? Lemartes is a fascinating character. He is afflicted by a condition that has driven everybody who suffers from it but him, and one notable exception, insane. Even that one exception doesn't suffer from it anymore but Lemartes does, he is constantly battling the Black Rage in his own mind while at the same time guiding his fellow Death Company into battle and making sure that they have every chance to earn their own glorious deaths. And he is cryo-frozen in-between battles so every time he wakes up it's to go to battle, and since cryo feels like an instant of time passing, it means that for Lemartes the war literally never ends, and as he enters another warzone he sees more and more of his brothers fallen while he still stands, and sees that those he knew are gone and new faces have taken their place. And yet his will has never faltered, he has never given into despair or apathy, and he still believes in his Chapter.

Why can't we expect a substantial wordcount about such a character?

LotN

https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...red-souls.html - The Kabal of Shattered Souls Project Log
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/...Book%20Reviews - Check out Talk Wargaming for reviews by Lord of the Night.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Black Library Fiction

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode