Bowing Out of the Horus Heresy Series - Page 8 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Black Library Fiction Here is where you can discuss your favourite Black Library publications and graphic novels. If it's published by Black Library it goes here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #71 of 205 (permalink) Old 03-06-15, 10:54 AM
nice boy, daft though !

bitsandkits's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntaw View Post

Would any of you who are disappointed in the series be more or less disappointed if it just never had happened? I mean would this be the opposite thread otherwise, 'Why Can't We Get HH Books', or are we just doomed to forever bitch about things (like GW/BL) we have no control over based on perceived expectations of quality?

Not trying to be a jerk, I do my fair share of bitching as well. Just curious.
well speaking from the point of view of someone whos been kicking around since before black libary existed i would say i wouldnt have been bothered had they not released the series as the story was already a very large and significant amount of the fluff for 40k and in all honesty it was kinda a shock that such a significant part of the back story was chosen to be fleshed out as a series of novels, i suppose that is also one of the reasons i feel they are stringing this out for far too long, we already know the story, the story itself is so intertwined with everything 40k , it is the very foundation of 40k, and as such cant really be changed as at some point Horus has to get slapped by the big E and Sanginus goes down like a five dollar hooker, the legions get divided up and the traitors flee into the ye of terror blah blah etc etc, now granted BL never at any point said we aim to complete the series within 10,20,30,40 books, but realistically speaking as a reader i never for one second thought they could produce this many stories and realistically expect the reader to continue buying the books and be knowhere near the conclusion.

Just to point something out, i think the heresy series has about 29 novels up to press, Terry pratchetts discworld series has 41 books , thats 12 more and he started in 1983 !! BL started HH in 2006.

2006 shocks me a little too, if we put the number of novels aside for a second and just concentrate on the story, April 2006(the first book was released) is almost 9 years ago, now considering they were writing a story about which we already had a significant part of and know the conclusion, how the actual fuck have they managed to spin this stuff out for 9 years ???? and again with no sign of the concluding book in sight? and more to the point if we have already been reading for 9 years to get to this point how many more years are we expected to wait to conclude the story(assuming they ever do)?

and on a related note , if the number of people who have dropped out on this forum alone is reflected in the wider audience will there come a point where the numbers of sales drops to the point where it is financially unwise to carry on the series ?

Something i also wanted to point out that i totally forgot until my wife reminded me yesterday, the HH lack of progress stopped me from purchasing other BL titles, i was really looking forward to reading Gav Thorpes Path of the warrior and other Eldar titles , but having been milked with the HH i decided against it and moved on to Auto Biographies of comedians of all things.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

HUGE BITZ RESTOCK NOW ON
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 205 (permalink) Old 03-06-15, 03:52 PM
The Emperor Protects

Angel of Blood's Flag is: Wales

I'm sure a few books or so ago, it was mentioned somewhere that they were at the halfway point.........
post #73 of 205 (permalink) Old 03-06-15, 04:14 PM
Dazed and confused.

Khorne's Fist's Flag is: Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel of Blood View Post
I'm sure a few books or so ago, it was mentioned somewhere that they were at the halfway point...
It's a shame it looks like they are going to do the second half of the series in LE novellas and 25 page short stories.

post #74 of 205 (permalink) Old 03-06-15, 06:51 PM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

^ maybe because they aren't making money off their full books anymore?

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP
post #75 of 205 (permalink) Old 03-06-15, 08:53 PM

forkmaster's Flag is: Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khorne's Fist View Post
It's a shame it looks like they are going to do the second half of the series in LE novellas and 25 page short stories.
Spot on and couldn't agree more!
post #76 of 205 (permalink) Old 03-06-15, 08:54 PM

Paceyjg's Flag is: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitsandkits View Post
i was really looking forward to reading Gav Thorpes Path of the warrior and other Eldar titles ,
Path of the Warrior and the Dark Elf Path books are excellent reads!
post #77 of 205 (permalink) Old 03-06-15, 08:54 PM
Vaz

Vaz's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntaw View Post
^ maybe because they aren't making money off their full books anymore?
Surely that's their own fault for turning out dogshit?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi Baji View Post
It's not a black and white question really, there are different shades of anal probing,
a rectum spectrum, if you will
post #78 of 205 (permalink) Old 03-06-15, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

Count_the_Seven's Flag is: Scotland

I thought this thread would die a death after around 50 posts...

Bits has a similar outlook to mine. I'm also amazed at how many have become ambivalent to, or dropped, the HH series.

Black Library really do seem to have dropped the ball with this series - a complete arc with follow up stories would have worked better IMO. Now they'll get no more of my lucre.

Two weeks after release,there are still 400 copies of the latest Tallarn left: that tells its own story.

CtS
post #79 of 205 (permalink) Old 03-06-15, 09:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Mind you I have no connection with GW and don't write for Black Library but:

Quote:
it was kinda a shock that such a significant part of the back story was chosen to be fleshed out as a series of novels,
Why? Ever since I've been on Heresy I've seen people wanting more on what happened during the years of the Horus Heresy. How figures like the Despoiler or Ahriman or Typhus became the figures they are; what the Imperium was like at its peak, how the Imperium could justify unleashing the wolves on Prospero.

Quote:
i suppose that is also one of the reasons i feel they are stringing this out for far too long, we already know the story, the story itself is so intertwined with everything 40k , it is the very foundation of 40k, and as such cant really be changed as at some point Horus has to get slapped by the big E and Sanginus goes down like a five dollar hooker, the legions get divided up and the traitors flee into the ye of terror blah blah etc etc,
This is both true and false. We know what generally happened, that something happened to Horus and he aligned with the chaos gods, that he and three of his brothers purged their legions of those loyal to the Emperor and laid a trap on Istvaan V. We know nearly a decade went by before the traitor legions reached Terra and that in that time Prospero was destroyed, Ferrus Manus killed, Typhus caused his legion to align with Nurgle by having all the navigators in the Death Guard fleet slaughtered while in the warp, and the siege of Terra ended with the death of Horus by a mortally wounded Emperor.

We didn't know what exactly happened to Horus that caused his fall, how much of the Iron Hands, Salamanders, and Raven Guard survived the Massacre, what happened to Corax and Vulkan during the Heresy, why Guilliman, Russ, and the Lion were so waylaid during the Heresy, why the Khan remained loyal, and other things (both relavent and not relavent.)

Quote:
Just to point something out, i think the heresy series has about 29 novels up to press, Terry pratchetts discworld series has 41 books , thats 12 more and he started in 1983 !! BL started HH in 2006.
Discworld is a series written by one author over the course of 32 years. Thats just over a book a year.

The Heresy series has between five and ten authors, thats about half a book per author per year. And when you consider that some of these authors have been writing other novels or have been meeting other commitments (I believe Abnett also does comics?) that number means much less in my opinion.

Quote:
how the actual fuck have they managed to spin this stuff out for 9 years ???? and again with no sign of the concluding book in sight?
I think authors having other commitments is the best answer for that first bit (remember ADB was writing at least one of his Night Lord novels and Talon of Horus while also writing for the Heresy series and Abnett was unable to work on Prospero Burns for a while due to medical reasons.)

And personally I wouldn't say no end in sight; look at what we have that was previously known and whats left. Theres not all that much: the silent war, the changing of the Death Guard, Magnus making his choice, the Siege itself.

Quote:
and on a related note , if the number of people who have dropped out on this forum alone is reflected in the wider audience will there come a point where the numbers of sales drops to the point where it is financially unwise to carry on the series ?
I doubt we are indicative of the wider audience, and I doubt the authors wouldn't fight to end the series if it looks like things are going to shut down. Just because some of us like to say they are milking all of us doesn't mean its 100% true.

Damnation is paved on good intentions; subtle and sugar coated or blunt and honest
A hero is someone who steps up when everyone else backs down.
Popularity is what people strive for when they lack the strength to be themselves.

Seriously, is it really that hard to write reviews without spoilers?

Reporting Posts - read this
post #80 of 205 (permalink) Old 03-07-15, 12:11 AM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
Surely that's their own fault for turning out dogshit?
Wrong turn after wrong turn for BL. People aren't buying the books because they stretched the series out too much, so they switch to novellas to entice smaller buys and reads only to find out their fan base hate that shit too.

I wonder if this company even does market research.

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Black Library Fiction

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode