Bowing Out of the Horus Heresy Series - Page 7 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Black Library Fiction Here is where you can discuss your favourite Black Library publications and graphic novels. If it's published by Black Library it goes here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 205 (permalink) Old 03-04-15, 01:32 PM
nice boy, daft though !

bitsandkits's Flag is: United Kingdom

im quite shocked how many people have turned away from the series in just our little forum to be honest, if a similar thing is reflected across the board then sales must have seriously dropped off for BL, still it serves them right, how many books can you honestly say the story needed? 20?30? 40? someone at BL must have thought of a number at the start, personally i just wanted to read one story arc, that of horus himself, like we did at the start of the series, other cameos from his brothers, but generally i wanted to read his story up until his demise, many be chuck in a few other related arcs that were fundamental to the Horus story, then at the end when the dust settles, they could have chucked out "other Horus Heresy tales" which featured totally unrelated shit that was happeneing because of the Heresy but didnt involve Horus.
thats was my expectation anyway

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

HUGE BITZ RESTOCK NOW ON
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 205 (permalink) Old 03-04-15, 02:03 PM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

Ah! That might just be the key to disappointment in GW/BL: expectations without any word or guarantee from the company.

Would any of you who are disappointed in the series be more or less disappointed if it just never had happened? I mean would this be the opposite thread otherwise, 'Why Can't We Get HH Books', or are we just doomed to forever bitch about things (like GW/BL) we have no control over based on perceived expectations of quality?

Not trying to be a jerk, I do my fair share of bitching as well. Just curious.

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP
post #63 of 205 (permalink) Old 03-04-15, 07:32 PM

im disappointed in all of the limited editions and some of the stories resembling hack

stories, rather than any real thought put into them. Also the change to different

formats pissed/pisses me off quite a bit, they used to come in masspaperback, but

lately a lot of books have come out in larger formats which cost more.

post #64 of 205 (permalink) Old 03-04-15, 08:48 PM

March of Time's Flag is: Great Britain

Quote:
Originally Posted by doofyoofy View Post
im disappointed in all of the limited editions and some of the stories resembling hack

stories, rather than any real thought put into them. Also the change to different

formats pissed/pisses me off quite a bit, they used to come in masspaperback, but

lately a lot of books have come out in larger formats which cost more.
The small paperback is released six months after the large paperback.
post #65 of 205 (permalink) Old 03-04-15, 09:08 PM

Lately the new books sucks so I haven't brought anything . Not saying I gave up but waiting for something that is good to come out. Plus I think those limited edition are horrible. Just don't but it and maybe GW realize they are making a mistake and get rid of it.

I remember the heresy series in the beginning was Ok and producing new books at a decent pace but lately it's just gone down the toilet. I mean there are so many stories to tell in the war hammer 40 k but GW is just doing something stupid.

I don't know if it's because the writers cannot get their act together or it's because GW is controlling too much of the creative direction.
post #66 of 205 (permalink) Old 03-04-15, 09:39 PM

forkmaster's Flag is: Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by March of Time View Post
The small paperback is released six months after the large paperback.
And usually by the 3rd month, you're spoiled on the big ending. I miss the days when everyone got them roughly the same time, just had to avoid the internet for about a week and then you could join in on the discussions. I remember the speculations and theories about around the time for the release of A Thousand Sons and Prospero Burns. You dont get those types of discussions these days as everyone read them anywhere in between 6 months apart. Only Talon of Horus has raised equal discussions when it comes to content.
post #67 of 205 (permalink) Old 03-05-15, 03:02 AM
Craw-Daddy

I think the biggest crime of the series is the fact that the actual story behind the Heresy and before the books was a potential shine in the scifi genre. There are several books that really showed what could be done with such a story, however, lots of crap.
post #68 of 205 (permalink) Old 03-05-15, 05:24 AM
Grand Lord Munchkin

gen.ahab's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count_the_Seven View Post
Sadly, I'm out.

CtS
Same. The entire series took a header after Know No Fear, and since then it has been one heap of crap after the next. Well, Betrayer was halfway decent; however, other than that one, they've all been fairly turd-y.
post #69 of 205 (permalink) Old 03-05-15, 05:53 AM
Jeepers

Loli's Flag is: United Kingdom

I dropped off a couple of years ago. I think Angel Exterminartus was my last one. When it got format changes and became full of limited editions, novella and anthologies, that combined with the cost of it just became, to me at least, absurd. I donated my HH books to a charity shop during a clean out about half a year ago now since I realised I was never going to buy the books I missed and it doesn't seem like ending anytime soon.

I've switched my books now to digital anyway, but a few months ago or so I brought Horus Rising digitally and I got to reread it and I did enjoy it, so I've decided to buy each full book at the end of each month, currently I'm up to Legion and I'm enjoying doing it this way, but I'll never go back to buying them as they come out, nor will be excitement for the series be anywhere near what it was when I started.

But what I perceive the series to be has changed now too, when I started I viewed it as a somewhat solid Sci Fi ongoing story - even if it's end was predetermined -, but now with how much it's dragging, getting sidetracked, milked etc, I've come to view the series unfortunately now as background for a miniatures game that I play nothing more.

*sigh*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawa View Post
"Bubbles"....?

The Old World just became a fart in the bath.....
post #70 of 205 (permalink) Old 03-05-15, 01:58 PM
Warsmith

Uveron's Flag is: Great Britain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loli View Post
I've come to view the series unfortunately now as background for a miniatures game that I play nothing more.
The Black Libary open Days that focus on this Series, shows at least to me that that's what it has become, it is a hobby to itself, which I understand and enjoy (Iam reading the series very slowly lisstening to the Pod Case After Ullanor along with me) But I do not plan on owning them all.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Black Library Fiction

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode