Bowing Out of the Horus Heresy Series - Page 6 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Black Library Fiction Here is where you can discuss your favourite Black Library publications and graphic novels. If it's published by Black Library it goes here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #51 of 205 (permalink) Old 02-23-15, 08:58 PM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

Everyone here needs to take a break (so BL can sort out their shit, apparently) and read the Dune series if you're in to sci-fi or the Wheel of Time series if you're into fantasy.

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 205 (permalink) Old 02-23-15, 10:31 PM

I don't have anything against short stories or novellas per se. As long as they get included in some kind of anthology within a reasonable timeframe. The (probably related) issue is that the release of new novel-length books takes forever now. The books itself were always hit-and-miss for me.
post #53 of 205 (permalink) Old 02-23-15, 11:11 PM
Heresy Online's Pet Furby

Tawa's Flag is: Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paceyjg View Post
I've just started reading Vengeful Spirit (I also wait for the Mass market paperbacks so I can continue my collection) and this is the first time thinking to myself 'hang on, where/when/who did that happen?
Waiting for those MM Paperbacks is another thing killing it for me, so, um, yeah.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntaw View Post
Everyone here needs to take a break (so BL can sort out their shit, apparently) and read the Dune series if you're in to sci-fi or the Wheel of Time series if you're into fantasy.
Be warned! Dune can be very heavy going in places, but are awesome novels!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace of Ultramar View Post
I think Tawa is a temporal entity that exists outside of the hobby/modeling timeline. Essentially, he's the Heresy Online equivalent of a Time Lord... which is kinda hilarious and frightening all at the same time.
"God-Emperor? Calling him a god was how all this mess started."

post #54 of 205 (permalink) Old 02-24-15, 05:18 AM

Scrad's Flag is: Australia

Dune and Frank Herbert forever.
post #55 of 205 (permalink) Old 02-25-15, 05:59 AM
Craw-Daddy

1000 copies left. I hope BL sees how much they limited their fan base. Its a disgrace. I remember when ADB's Limited Novela was sold out and their website froze.

This was a book I would have bought because I'm such a fan, but after seeing what happened to the first novel and then looking at Ebay at how people were desperately trying to get rid of the extra copies they bought in mass, it was pretty obvious the first really didn't leave an impression.
post #56 of 205 (permalink) Old 02-28-15, 10:39 PM

I stopped getting everything published by Black Library after Vulkan Lives and stopped reading BL pubs altogether a little while afterward. The only thing I've read to break that drought was The Talon of Horus, and that's because ADB wrote it. At this point the only worthwhile authors whose works I'll buy are Aaron Dembski-Bowden (for obvious reasons), Chris Wraight (also for obvious reasons) and Dan Abnett (who hasn't released a 40K or HH piece in what feels like forever). To me every other author reads like polished fan fiction.

Just a few minutes ago I checked out BL's web page to see if anything new had come out or been announced after not checking up in months. What I found was that everything released since Vengeful Spirit (almost a year ago!) was pretty much rubbish.

So I'm officially done with BL aside from stuff by Abnett (still waiting for book two in the Bequin Trilogy, unless I missed an announcement or something), ADB (definitely looking forward to Master of Mankind) and Wraight (I'm sad to say I have no idea what his next book is but I'll probably give it a read).

Until then I'll be rereading the Dune series and eagerly anticipating the next installment in James S. A. Corey's amazing Expanse series. Seriously, if you're looking for excellently written space opera grounded in hard science fiction, you can't do much better.

Tl;dr: Check out The Expanse series by James S. A. Corey if you're burnt out on HH.
post #57 of 205 (permalink) Old 03-01-15, 12:05 AM
Dazed and confused.

Khorne's Fist's Flag is: Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottrelli View Post
At this point the only worthwhile authors whose works I'll buy are Aaron Dembski-Bowden (for obvious reasons), Chris Wraight (also for obvious reasons) and Dan Abnett (who hasn't released a 40K or HH piece in what feels like forever). To me every other author reads like polished fan fiction.
French is beginning to creep up on these guys. Might be worth checking out his Ahriman series. Excellent so far.
post #58 of 205 (permalink) Old 03-01-15, 01:48 PM

forkmaster's Flag is: Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
There are alternative sources. If GW/BL want to be cunts about cashcowing substandard bollocks, then I won't pay it.
"The friend on the internet."

I've been against this in the past, trying to support the authors. I think when they make LE that doesn't mean anything if you get them or not for the overall story, then I can live with that like Promethean Sun and Corax Soulforge. Then that these 2 lacked seriously in not only the content but also in the writing, that's another story. But now that they ship out small digital shorts, audios to fill out in between and the LE crap. I think for instance Tallarn should just have been one proper novel, showing us both the Tallarn and Iron Warriors side. Instead it has been split up in 1 novella and 2 novellas bunched together and called a "full" novel, a shitload of shorts and 2 audio dramas. I only buy those worth getting these days, and there haven't been many of those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garviel loken. View Post
I don't understand your mindset at all. We already know the conclusion to this story, so why rush it? Sure we could do without the limited editions, but the novels are going at a good pace
That is true, but it doesn't justify poor badly-written fillers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khorne's Fist View Post
French is beginning to creep up on these guys. Might be worth checking out his Ahriman series. Excellent so far.
I would say the first story was decent, the 2nd book was terrible. However his Imperial Fists are forming neatly in the HH-series. I like The Crimson Fist and Templar.
post #59 of 205 (permalink) Old 03-01-15, 11:44 PM
Angryman

shaantitus's Flag is: Australia

Location: A wretched hive of scum and villany. Actually PNG. Goddamn this place is a shithole.

I have to admit I took a sizeable step back from the HH about 2 years ago. After I bought betrayer and angel exterminatus and realised they were only available in the large format that I needed a break. I have decided I will be less slavish. I still want to complete the series in the small format paperbacks, so I just disconnect for a year or so at a time and then grab the small format ones that have come out. No more letting the anticipation drive my purchases. In fact it was finding several books to add to the series that brought me back here to post. So there is an upside.

Sanity is for the weak.
'Evil will triumph because good is dumb.' Dark Helmet,Spaceballs
According to LUKEVALENTINE's test i am a diciple of khorne. Figures really.
post #60 of 205 (permalink) Old 03-04-15, 11:13 AM

Brother Emund's Flag is: United Kingdom

I do not read the HH books any more. It is a shame as a was enjoying them. Unfortunateky, cost does come into it, but also, I want to read about the so-called 'lesser-legions' and not all about the poster boys!

"Death occurs when a lethal projectile comes together in time and space with a suitable target, in the absence of appropriate armour or protection”

Check out my 40K 'Epic' about the Hunted verses the Inquisition: https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...98#post2184698

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Black Library Fiction

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode