Bowing Out of the Horus Heresy Series - Page 20 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Black Library Fiction Here is where you can discuss your favourite Black Library publications and graphic novels. If it's published by Black Library it goes here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #191 of 205 (permalink) Old 09-09-15, 12:00 AM

Default Thoughts

First Time Poster, long time reader...

First: I have read all the available HH novels, Shorts, and listened to the Audio shorts, aside from the LE event releases which are hard to obtain with me living in Canada. I agree with most, if not all of the points made regarding the length of the series overall.

Second: I feel as though BL has utilized the HH series as a "coming of age" for the 40K franchise. The Vulkan escapades in particular have more import in 40K than in the known 30K mythos. Bbobs eloquently expresses so many excellent points regarding the "overfilling" of the cup of knowledge as it relates to the core of the series. Truthfully, the series could have ended after Galaxy in Flames, as we see the initial heresy occur, the events that spawned such a massive upheaval in this far future Imperium of Man. The 40k stories are of course largely based upon the "developing" lore we are privy to as a result of the sheer obesity of the HH to this point.

Dark Angels

Salamandars

Dark Angels/GK/BL

Ultramarines

Night Lords

Black Templars

As you can see, so much of the HH "fluff" or "filler" which to our current knowledge impacts the overall story minimally seems to be geared solely on laying a foundation for 40k novels, which makes sense seeing as 40k was ripe with novels prior to the release of Horus Rising.

Anyway my two cents. It is becoming far to lengthy, but like many of you, I am still reading because I am invested. I want to see what happens, not all of it, but the significant events that surround the final climax when we get to Terra. That being said, there will likely be 6 or 9 novels about the siege proper, each from a different perspective, as was pointed out hilariously in the Istavaan Thread looking at BL marketing techniques and methodology.

I just shelled out for the new Ragnar Novel(la) and eagarly await its arrival. This is one of the longest series I have invested both time and money into, likely since R.A.Salavtore's examination of the drow way back when. While I am becoming wary of the time and money spent of these novels, I still enjoy the writing of almost all the BL HH team, lately the novels have just seemed to lack significance and import during the story arc of the HH.

Death to the False Emperor!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #192 of 205 (permalink) Old 09-09-15, 12:23 AM

Guilliman holds off Angron and Lorgar for a fair bit in Betrayer. Curze also ends up on the floor bleeding to death in the second duel between him and the Lion.
post #193 of 205 (permalink) Old 09-13-15, 07:33 PM

Kharn The Complainer's Flag is: Former Soviet Union

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Loken View Post

Also, I would love to know the story of Istvaan V, but I can't remember which books they were. I know someone told me before, but I forgot where I asked.
Get Out! I would assume that you were trolling had I not read other posts written by you. You seem quite 'new' with regards to HH Black Library and the HH game in general. I don't mean this in a disrespectful way, so don't be offended.

There are roughly over 9000 novels and short stories discussing the events of Istvaan V, so I really don't know how you've missed out on Istvaan information. OK, I may be exaggerating a little...

I'm sure other posters can correct me if I am wrong or have missed out anything, but if you want to read about Istvaan V you should read these books.

• Raven's Flight by Gav Thorpe
  • Fulgrim by Graham McNeill
  • The First Heretic by Aaron Dembski-Bowden
  • Aurelian by Aaron Demski-Bowden
  • The Outcast Dead by Graham McNeill
  • Deliverance Lost by Gav Thorpe
  • Any novel or short story featuring the Iron Hands (who whine incessantly about Istvaan V)
  • The Face of Treachery (if I remember correctly)
Fulgrim probably gives the most complete depiction with the other novels and short stories adding extra chunks of information.

Last edited by Tawa; 09-14-15 at 10:29 AM.

post #194 of 205 (permalink) Old 09-13-15, 08:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kharn The Complainer View Post
GET OUT!
Yeah..this isn't even aimed at me and I want to smack you in the head for it.

Quote:
  • The Outcast Dead by Graham McNeill
This has only a passing mention of Istvaan V, it hardly counts.

Quote:
  • Deliverance Lost by Gav Thorpe
Only the barest of mentions in the beginning really.

Quote:
Fulgrim probably gives the most complete depiction with the other novels and short stories adding extra chunks of information.
The First Heretic as well I would imagine

Damnation is paved on good intentions; subtle and sugar coated or blunt and honest
A hero is someone who steps up when everyone else backs down.
Popularity is what people strive for when they lack the strength to be themselves.

Seriously, is it really that hard to write reviews without spoilers?

Reporting Posts - read this
post #195 of 205 (permalink) Old 09-14-15, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkreever View Post
Yeah..this isn't even aimed at me and I want to smack you in the head for it.
Do I really need to put [/joke] at the end of every joke I make? I thought the emboldened text and exclamation mark at the end was enough.

Anyway, I am trying to help the guy out by giving him all the books I can think of which include mentions of Istvaan. Indeead, the Outcast Dead has only a small mention, but n my opinion it is certainly worth a read due to the powerful way it's presented. I have to admit that I actually got a little choaked up at the description of how the reports were coming in and the affect they had on those who were recieving them.

Last edited by Kharn The Complainer; 09-14-15 at 09:53 AM.
post #196 of 205 (permalink) Old 09-14-15, 10:30 AM
Heresy Online's Pet Furby

Tawa's Flag is: Scotland

Quote:
Do I really need to put [/joke] at the end of every joke I make?
Use Orange text.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace of Ultramar View Post
I think Tawa is a temporal entity that exists outside of the hobby/modeling timeline. Essentially, he's the Heresy Online equivalent of a Time Lord... which is kinda hilarious and frightening all at the same time.
"God-Emperor? Calling him a god was how all this mess started."
post #197 of 205 (permalink) Old 09-14-15, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillaCustodian View Post
First Time Poster, long time reader...

First: I have read all the available HH novels, Shorts, and listened to the Audio shorts, aside from the LE event releases which are hard to obtain with me living in Canada. I agree with most, if not all of the points made regarding the length of the series overall.

Second: I feel as though BL has utilized the HH series as a "coming of age" for the 40K franchise. The Vulkan escapades in particular have more import in 40K than in the known 30K mythos. Bbobs eloquently expresses so many excellent points regarding the "overfilling" of the cup of knowledge as it relates to the core of the series. Truthfully, the series could have ended after Galaxy in Flames, as we see the initial heresy occur, the events that spawned such a massive upheaval in this far future Imperium of Man. The 40k stories are of course largely based upon the "developing" lore we are privy to as a result of the sheer obesity of the HH to this point.

Dark Angels

Salamandars

Dark Angels/GK/BL

Ultramarines

Night Lords

Black Templars

As you can see, so much of the HH "fluff" or "filler" which to our current knowledge impacts the overall story minimally seems to be geared solely on laying a foundation for 40k novels, which makes sense seeing as 40k was ripe with novels prior to the release of Horus Rising.

Anyway my two cents. It is becoming far to lengthy, but like many of you, I am still reading because I am invested. I want to see what happens, not all of it, but the significant events that surround the final climax when we get to Terra. That being said, there will likely be 6 or 9 novels about the siege proper, each from a different perspective, as was pointed out hilariously in the Istavaan Thread looking at BL marketing techniques and methodology.

I just shelled out for the new Ragnar Novel(la) and eagarly await its arrival. This is one of the longest series I have invested both time and money into, likely since R.A.Salavtore's examination of the drow way back when. While I am becoming wary of the time and money spent of these novels, I still enjoy the writing of almost all the BL HH team, lately the novels have just seemed to lack significance and import during the story arc of the HH.

Death to the False Emperor!!

I hear what you are saying and respect your POV but really cannot agree. Of course the HH is setting up events for 40k. It is ALL about the lore. HH has been the single most important background event for The Imperium since about edition 2 of the game.

What I will say is that I have mixed feelings about the level to which the mystery of the background is being revealed. On the one hand I love reading about it but on the other a 10000 year old legend (after all for 40k citizens that is what the HH is, a legend) should have an air of mystery and misunderstanding about it.
post #198 of 205 (permalink) Old 09-14-15, 09:14 PM

Captain_Loken's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke_Leto View Post
I hear what you are saying and respect your POV but really cannot agree. Of course the HH is setting up events for 40k. It is ALL about the lore. HH has been the single most important background event for The Imperium since about edition 2 of the game.

What I will say is that I have mixed feelings about the level to which the mystery of the background is being revealed. On the one hand I love reading about it but on the other a 10000 year old legend (after all for 40k citizens that is what the HH is, a legend) should have an air of mystery and misunderstanding about it.

What is annoying is the end of the HH has already been revealed and they're supposedly only half way through the series. Literally read any Chaos legion book and you'll find out what happens.

My point being is that I don't see why they need all the smoke and mirrors when everyone knows the ending.

Also, I want to point out that it really depends on your definition of 'citizen'. If you mean anyone living in the 40k universe, well then that legend is truth to every single Chaos Space Marine. Many of which fought in it personally.

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR HIS SKULL THRONE!
post #199 of 205 (permalink) Old 09-14-15, 11:06 PM
Brother Lucian's Flag is: Denmark

Quote:
What is annoying is the end of the HH has already been revealed and they're supposedly only half way through the series. Literally read any Chaos legion book and you'll find out what happens.

My point being is that I don't see why they need all the smoke and mirrors when everyone knows the ending.

Also, I want to point out that it really depends on your definition of 'citizen'. If you mean anyone living in the 40k universe, well then that legend is truth to every single Chaos Space Marine. Many of which fought in it personally.
I think the smoke and mirrors is precisely what they are doing to enlarge the narrative and filling it with unexpected stuff that came as a total suprise. Which to pad and flesh out an otherwise fairly quickly resolved plot. The Unremembered Empire and the Perpetuals standing as the two most noticeable things for me.
post #200 of 205 (permalink) Old 09-16-15, 07:58 AM

Quote:

As I mentioned in my rant thread, they could still spend a dozen or more novels just talking about the siege of Terra.

By the way, if you want to know a serious HH spoiler...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Black Library Fiction

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode