Bowing Out of the Horus Heresy Series - Page 19 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Black Library Fiction Here is where you can discuss your favourite Black Library publications and graphic novels. If it's published by Black Library it goes here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #181 of 205 (permalink) Old 09-08-15, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

Count_the_Seven's Flag is: Scotland

@bobss this was my thread originally (I am astonished that it has reached such levels of interest), but your posts of the past 24 hours eloquently sets out the point I originally sought to make.

CtS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 205 (permalink) Old 09-08-15, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobss View Post
Fantastic post, AOB. I've never gotten into the limited editions myself, but I had the same silly excitement for each novel release. Avoiding the A Thousand Sons spoiler thread was a Herculean challenge. It's good to see such devout fans of the series wrestle with their honest feelings.

I've made my opinion on the Age of Darkness clear in my post, but honestly mate getting to grips with it would be colossal, literally a dissertation! To briefly recap what I posted last night, I have no fundamental issue with the Age of Darkness, it's a perfectly logical thing to happen as the road to Terra is blasted open. It's how this period has been executed, with some excellent events that are perfectly justified in existing and many that are not. Again I would remind you of my holy formula: does an event's purpose justify the time it has taken up and the distraction it has served from the main storyline? Angron's ascension? Yes. Vulkan running around the galaxy? No (in my opinion). Do you read the Wheel of Time? The biggest criticism levelled at the series is how it spends entire books focusing on characters and storylines of questionable importance. To provide another history example: I was reading about the Fall of Rome in 410 AD the other day with a cup of tea. Just one of those detailed Wikipedia articles that paints a holistic picture of the event. Stuff like the Huns pushing the Goths into Western Europe, or the Goths battling other Gothic factions in Roman lands, or the schism between each half of the Roman Empire was all highly interesting, but received nothing more than an empirical explanation before moving on to, you know, the Fall of Rome. This article knew it's priorities, and a story functions the same. Imagine in Hamlet if we had a whole act dedicated to exploring the political climate in Norway and the decisions that Fortinbras made to invade Denmark. All fascinating stuff but totally removed from the actual purpose of the play, never mind it's passive effect of bloating and dragging the play at a high cost to its quality.

It seems fans of the Horus Heresy have split into those who wanted a tightly written, epic saga of 15-20 books and those who are much happier for >50 volumes for all the juicy fluff intricacies. My post last night awkwardly gets around how you can't have both.
There is a problem...often times, we are not getting juicy, thought-provoking fluff intricacies. I would be OK with that. Instead, we're getting poorly written or at best mediocre filler...usually inferior to the old fluff and detrimental to the gravitas of the story
post #183 of 205 (permalink) Old 09-08-15, 03:23 PM
Heresy Online's Pet Furby

Tawa's Flag is: Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobss View Post
<snip>
An excellent post there bobss, that deserves a cookie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace of Ultramar View Post
I think Tawa is a temporal entity that exists outside of the hobby/modeling timeline. Essentially, he's the Heresy Online equivalent of a Time Lord... which is kinda hilarious and frightening all at the same time.
"God-Emperor? Calling him a god was how all this mess started."

post #184 of 205 (permalink) Old 09-08-15, 07:03 PM

Captain_Loken's Flag is: USA

I have a question.

I feel the same as many of you guys, but there are some individual novels that I do want to read such as Thousand Sons, Prospero Burns and Vengeful Spirit just as an example, I'm sure there are many more. My question is, will I be completely lost if I decide to skip a bunch and just read these?

Now, I know I asked a similar question before and people told me that there are references to previous books, which I'm used to after reading the Ahriman series and the Word Bearers series.

Also, I would love to know the story of Istvaan V, but I can't remember which books they were. I know someone told me before, but I forgot where I asked.

As to all of your points, I just want to say that I have to agree. Though, I don't spend the money like most of you on all the novels and LE's and even re releases, I still have to invest my time in reading the novels. I am a slow reader so it takes me a couple days to finish a book.

I was just curious as to what your guy's opinion is on this. If this isn't the right place to ask, then let me know and ill move it.

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR HIS SKULL THRONE!
post #185 of 205 (permalink) Old 09-08-15, 08:05 PM

Malus Darkblade's Flag is: Kuwait

Everyone seems to want the Heresy to end. Am I the only one who wants it to last as long as possible? Of course ideally I would want it to last as long as the quality doesn't suffer.
post #186 of 205 (permalink) Old 09-08-15, 08:11 PM
Thordis

Haskanael's Flag is: Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malus Darkblade View Post
Everyone seems to want the Heresy to end. Am I the only one who wants it to last as long as possible? Of course ideally I would want it to last as long as the quality doesn't suffer.
I am enjoying the way it is developing thus far but it does seem that often we take 2 steps back for every step forward in the story progression.
I would love for a branch of the story to take some step forwards to Terra.
post #187 of 205 (permalink) Old 09-08-15, 08:26 PM

Malus Darkblade's Flag is: Kuwait

Once we head into Terra I feel like we're closing
the book on everything prior. Jumping back in the past seems unlikely for an author.
post #188 of 205 (permalink) Old 09-08-15, 08:45 PM

Seriously, the whole HH series could have been 7 to 12 novels. By Novels I mean, Game of Thrones style ones. Big ... lots of content, each being top sellers. That would be just for the main story arc. By all means release side Novels, perhaps 1 for each Legion so that fans don't have to suffer by not seeing their favourite Legion.

30+ books and being swamped with Shattered Legions and Calth at every turn is dull and boring.

I also believe BL need to pull their head out of the sand. It's not the 90's anymore, we're in the digital age. These books need to be primarily sold on eBook format, no printing costs also saves money but more importantly it means that the consumer doesn't have to end up with a book shelf of a ton of novels of all different sizes. It is completely ridiculous.

On a personal note I do believe they should ditch the table top and go digital with a decent pay as you go MMO game that's actually developed, but that's just personal preference. Again, only purely because it's a digital age these days, toy soldiers doesn't tend to impress anyone, but saying you've read a "Game of Thrones" best seller and people are interested. It should be the same with the HH ones.
post #189 of 205 (permalink) Old 09-08-15, 08:53 PM
Dazed and confused.

Khorne's Fist's Flag is: Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malus Darkblade View Post
Jumping back in the past seems unlikely for an author.
Not in this series. They seem to prefer that than going forward. Nine years on from Galaxy in Flames and we're still getting Istvaan stories. Nine years and 36 novels, novellas and anthologies, plus countless shorts and audios, and the timeline has only moved on about three years. Considering the Heresy spans seven years, does that mean it'll take the same again and then some to get it all finished?

I'm pretty certain they didn't set out to have the series take close to 20 years and 70-odd titles to finish, so here's hoping there's a massive shake up in the series some time soon.
post #190 of 205 (permalink) Old 09-08-15, 09:04 PM
Heresy Online's Pet Furby

Tawa's Flag is: Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellow_ View Post
Seriously, the whole HH series could have been 7 to 12 novels. By Novels I mean, Game of Thrones style ones. Big ... lots of content, each being top sellers. That would be just for the main story arc. By all means release side Novels, perhaps 1 for each Legion so that fans don't have to suffer by not seeing their favourite Legion.
This.

Why oh why did they not do this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace of Ultramar View Post
I think Tawa is a temporal entity that exists outside of the hobby/modeling timeline. Essentially, he's the Heresy Online equivalent of a Time Lord... which is kinda hilarious and frightening all at the same time.
"God-Emperor? Calling him a god was how all this mess started."

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Black Library Fiction

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode