Bowing Out of the Horus Heresy Series - Page 15 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Black Library Fiction Here is where you can discuss your favourite Black Library publications and graphic novels. If it's published by Black Library it goes here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #141 of 205 (permalink) Old 04-17-15, 06:10 AM
Craw-Daddy

I'm kind of surprised they didn't stick with writing Legion stories. I thought that was the most successful thing for the series. Would have thought they would have really built a stronger following before trying to milk the series.

I feel that Angel Exterminatus and Fear to Tread were kind of forced as legion stories to get the ball rolling.

I feel that the second compilation of short stories, Age of Darkness, was the turning point for the Heresy where they focused on writing lots of individual and quite frankly strange stories. They came in forms of limited novels, compilations, and frankly stories that never should have been written. While fans are left wondering why the majority of the legions chose the paths they took.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #142 of 205 (permalink) Old 04-18-15, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

Count_the_Seven's Flag is: Scotland

Recent announcements prove my initial point: I remain out...
post #143 of 205 (permalink) Old 04-18-15, 11:29 PM
Jeepers

Loli's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count_the_Seven View Post
Recent announcements prove my initial point: I remain out...
What announcements? Sorry I don't keep up with BL news much anymore so apologies if this is all common knowledge to everyone else

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawa View Post
"Bubbles"....?

The Old World just became a fart in the bath.....

post #144 of 205 (permalink) Old 04-19-15, 02:55 PM
Heresy Online's Pet Furby

Tawa's Flag is: Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loli View Post
What announcements? Sorry I don't keep up with BL news much anymore so apologies if this is all common knowledge to everyone else
Nope, I don't know what the "recent announcements" are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace of Ultramar View Post
I think Tawa is a temporal entity that exists outside of the hobby/modeling timeline. Essentially, he's the Heresy Online equivalent of a Time Lord... which is kinda hilarious and frightening all at the same time.
"God-Emperor? Calling him a god was how all this mess started."
post #145 of 205 (permalink) Old 04-20-15, 02:35 AM
Craw-Daddy

I feel like Battle of the Abyss was the first of many novels that were simply used to take up space. Theres just so many ridiculous filler novels that you have to wonder, with all the success and attention they had creating certain novels, they just decided to go the other way.
post #146 of 205 (permalink) Old 04-20-15, 03:28 AM

Garviel loken.'s Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckcrawford View Post
I feel like Battle of the Abyss was the first of many novels that were simply used to take up space. Theres just so many ridiculous filler novels that you have to wonder, with all the success and attention they had creating certain novels, they just decided to go the other way.
I disagree that any novel is a filler. This is the authors chance to truly flesh out the heresy. I have never understood the mindset of rushing a story we know the ending to. Nothing wrong in my opinion with fleshing out all the legions.

Today, I march for Calth
post #147 of 205 (permalink) Old 04-20-15, 11:06 AM Thread Starter

I'm not going to argue the case again, though I will summarise below, but I feel my point is well made by me and many others in this thread. I still receive the Black Library e-newsletters, and from these:

- Friday 17th April: Corax: Soulforge – Hardback, eBook, MP3. No paperback, no mass market paperback.
- Friday 10th April: Garro: Knight Errant box set, including a new MP3. I have all of these already, the MP3 cannot be added to my collection unless I buy the new collection.
- Monday 30th March: The Imperial Truth, published on eBook. Again, I don’t have this for my book collection
- Friday 27th March: Raptor, MP3

Now, my comments are noted on each, where I think it's worthwhile. But these are all from the past three weeks or so.

So, to recap on the problems:

- Volume: the number of publications has become too great to keep up with
- Format: there are now a ridiculous number of formats and limited edition, limited access, or format-specific releases
- Complexity: the number and variety of formats makes it difficult to stay in touch with the many storylines, plots and characters
- Story Progression: the story is not progressing, we are book 30(+?) and are nowhere near the conclusion. We now have the excellent "Talon of Horus" coming after and filling in some gaps. What would have been better was to have a shorter main story and then branches coming later - we all know the outcome, so get on with it!
- Money: it's hard to see past the argument that the HH is a cash cow

People who want to continue, can, this isn't about forcing or coercing others: this thread, well argued and reasoned by myself and others, is about why I - and other former HH readers - have called it a day.

CtS

Last edited by Count_the_Seven; 04-20-15 at 11:24 AM.
post #148 of 205 (permalink) Old 04-20-15, 02:42 PM

Quote:
I'm not going to argue the case again, though I will summarise below, but I feel my point is well made by me and many others in this thread. I still receive the Black Library e-newsletters, and from these:

- Friday 17th April: Corax: Soulforge Ė Hardback, eBook, MP3. No paperback, no mass market paperback.
- Friday 10th April: Garro: Knight Errant box set, including a new MP3. I have all of these already, the MP3 cannot be added to my collection unless I buy the new collection.
- Monday 30th March: The Imperial Truth, published on eBook. Again, I donít have this for my book collection
- Friday 27th March: Raptor, MP3

Now, my comments are noted on each, where I think it's worthwhile. But these are all from the past three weeks or so.

So, to recap on the problems:

- Volume: the number of publications has become too great to keep up with
- Format: there are now a ridiculous number of formats and limited edition, limited access, or format-specific releases
- Complexity: the number and variety of formats makes it difficult to stay in touch with the many storylines, plots and characters
- Story Progression: the story is not progressing, we are book 30(+?) and are nowhere near the conclusion. We now have the excellent "Talon of Horus" coming after and filling in some gaps. What would have been better was to have a shorter main story and then branches coming later - we all know the outcome, so get on with it!
- Money: it's hard to see past the argument that the HH is a cash cow

People who want to continue, can, this isn't about forcing or coercing others: this thread, well argued and reasoned by myself and others, is about why I - and other former HH readers - have called it a day.

CtS
"We all know the outcome so get on with it!"

Throne....sometimes the journey is better then the destination

Today, I march for Calth
post #149 of 205 (permalink) Old 04-20-15, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

That's your response?

Earlier posts noted how a core storyline could be developed in a relatively short series, with spin offs and side stories coming later.

The HH model is a mirror-image of this. In Y1 we had three releases, in this last month ALONE there have been four, across a range of formats - some re-releases, others new, some both together!

As I said, I'm not going back over it, as readers can dip in and out of this thread freely without the same thing being said over and over again.

Throne...

CtS
post #150 of 205 (permalink) Old 04-20-15, 03:11 PM

Quote:
That's your response?

Earlier posts noted how a core storyline could be developed in a relatively short series, with spin offs and side stories coming later.

The HH model is a mirror-image of this. In Y1 we had three releases, in this last month ALONE there have been four, across a range of formats - some re-releases, others new, some both together!

As I said, I'm not going back over it, as readers can dip in and out of this thread freely without the same thing being said over and over again.

Throne...

CtS
Spin offs? THis is the chance to flesh out the heresy once and for all. Sure the shorts and anthologies released are annoying, but they are not nessesary to getting the full experience. Right now we are getting to events that have never been covered before, and the amount of new lore coming off is great.

According to you we should have - Horus rising, Battle of istvaan, Seige of terra. Or is that still to long of a series for you?

Today, I march for Calth

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Black Library Fiction

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode