Bowing Out of the Horus Heresy Series - Page 12 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Black Library Fiction Here is where you can discuss your favourite Black Library publications and graphic novels. If it's published by Black Library it goes here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #111 of 205 (permalink) Old 03-09-15, 02:14 AM
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
... Not really.

... And no it wasn't
Thats a matter of opinion @Vaz, just like its @Garviel loken's opinion that they are good.

I mean personally I loved Galaxy in Flames but found The Unremembered Empire to be mediocre.

Damnation is paved on good intentions; subtle and sugar coated or blunt and honest
A hero is someone who steps up when everyone else backs down.
Popularity is what people strive for when they lack the strength to be themselves.

Seriously, is it really that hard to write reviews without spoilers?

Reporting Posts - read this
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #112 of 205 (permalink) Old 03-09-15, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garviel loken. View Post
Really only Abnett, ADB, french, and counter should touch the heresy
Are you sure you don't mean Wraight? Counter gave us the universally derided Battle of the Abyss
post #113 of 205 (permalink) Old 03-09-15, 08:48 AM

forkmaster's Flag is: Sweden

Quote:
Yes that makes a statement, but i dont want to see harm done to BL. I would rather them know what the fans think, then straight up boycott them
Well my understanding of marketing when selling products is that nobody listen to the opinions on the Internet. Because otherwise Firefly wouldn't have been cancelled or Kim Kardashian wouldn't be famous. But companies do listen to numbers. Terrible games like COD are continued to be sold since 12-year-olds keeps on buying them. This thread was mostly aimed to see the opinions of others how the series has fallen as of late and it has been obvious in the drop of thread-discussions regarding the novels. I haven't seen a interactive discussion regarding a novel from the series since TOD because it was so terrible. I do want BL to keep up high quality-material but they focus on the wrong things and market it the wrong way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doelago View Post
We used to tell them what we thought but then they buried their head in the sand and erased any and all social media presence they had, because reasons.
This! Forge World did the same mistake with their Youtube-channel.

Quote:
Tho, can we really blame BL for the poor novels as of late? I think that is more of poor writers. Really only Abnett, ADB, french, and counter should touch the heresy
I would really not keep Counter on that list and replace it with Wraight, and at certain times I still believe in McNeill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkreever View Post
Thats a matter of opinion @Vaz, just like its @Garviel loken's opinion that they are good.

I mean personally I loved Galaxy in Flames but found The Unremembered Empire to be mediocre.
But at the same time BftA was god-awful, but all opinions to their own taste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontytheMighty View Post
Are you sure you don't mean Wraight? Counter gave us the universally derided Battle of the Abyss
I would wonder the same.

post #114 of 205 (permalink) Old 03-09-15, 10:14 AM

Brother Subtle's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkreever View Post
but found The Unremembered Empire to be mediocre.
And I quite liked it! Everyone has different tastes.

Well... Except for Battle of the Abyss. That was a steaming turd and I just can't accept accolades for that book from anyone! Haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by forkmaster View Post
I would really not keep Counter on that list and replace it with Wraight, and at certain times I still believe in McNeill.
Yeah, scratch Counter from that list. There are newer, younger and better authors entering BL now. I think his time has come and gone. French, Wright and Annadale are fantastic IMO. And don't right off old Anthony Reynolds. Love his 40K WB trilogy and quite enjoyed The Purge HH novella. He writes great WB's! (Nearly as good as ADB). As for McNeill. He can dish up the odd stinker, but then deliver something great out of left field like Mechanicum. Very hit and miss.

Last edited by Brother Subtle; 03-09-15 at 10:24 AM.
post #115 of 205 (permalink) Old 03-09-15, 01:24 PM

forkmaster's Flag is: Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Subtle View Post
Yeah, scratch Counter from that list. There are newer, younger and better authors entering BL now. I think his time has come and gone. French, Wright and Annadale are fantastic IMO. And don't right off old Anthony Reynolds. Love his 40K WB trilogy and quite enjoyed The Purge HH novella. He writes great WB's! (Nearly as good as ADB). As for McNeill. He can dish up the odd stinker, but then deliver something great out of left field like Mechanicum. Very hit and miss.
Annandale I've heard mixxed reviews from and I haven't read his HH-novel yet, and I aren't all that excited about it. Anthony Reynolds does great writing but he haven't written much for the HH-series which is why I think he falls into the background very easily. He has done 2 shorts and a LE novella, with the latter something not everyone get to read and enjoy.

McNeill did a good job with Fulgrim (I can see its flaws now but still a good book), Reflection Crack'd lowered that bar a little but still works and then he delivered A Thousand Sons which were excellente. But then he delivers failures like The Outcast Dead and to some extent, Angel Exterminatus (the EC-parts of that novel is it's only redemption). I actually like Nick Kymes shorts which continue after where Angel Exterminatus ended with Imperfection and Chirurgeon. Mechanicum was well-written. The only problem is that I'm not that interested in the Mechanicum-part of the Heresy.
post #116 of 205 (permalink) Old 03-09-15, 03:51 PM
nice boy, daft though !

bitsandkits's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mob View Post
I think this graphic helps show why the series has gotten so off-putting to follow for some people in the last few years.

well i have to say that little graphic speaks volumes about the series and if milking it was ever in any doubt it shouldnt be.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

HUGE BITZ RESTOCK NOW ON
post #117 of 205 (permalink) Old 03-10-15, 12:08 AM
Heresy Online's Pet Furby

Tawa's Flag is: Scotland

Quote:
Counter is good.
Really? Have you read the soul drinkers stuff? "Soul Destroying" would be a more accurate title.......

Quote:
Are you sure you don't mean Wraight? Counter gave us the universally derided Battle of the Abysmal
Fixed that for you Monty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace of Ultramar View Post
I think Tawa is a temporal entity that exists outside of the hobby/modeling timeline. Essentially, he's the Heresy Online equivalent of a Time Lord... which is kinda hilarious and frightening all at the same time.
"God-Emperor? Calling him a god was how all this mess started."
post #118 of 205 (permalink) Old 03-10-15, 12:13 AM

Garviel loken.'s Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Well galaxy in flames is my second favourite novel, tho i havent read abyss out of fear

Today, I march for Calth
post #119 of 205 (permalink) Old 03-10-15, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawa View Post
Really? Have you read the soul drinkers stuff? "Soul Destroying" would be a more accurate title.......

Fixed that for you Monty
No i havent. Tho i heard good things about it if i recall correctly. Its not good at all?

Today, I march for Calth
post #120 of 205 (permalink) Old 03-10-15, 12:15 AM

I like mcniell, but i find he over uses metaphors and over explains things. I liked VS.....well i liked the knight errant bits

Today, I march for Calth

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Black Library Fiction

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode