Bowing Out of the Horus Heresy Series - Page 11 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Black Library Fiction Here is where you can discuss your favourite Black Library publications and graphic novels. If it's published by Black Library it goes here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #101 of 205 (permalink) Old 03-08-15, 07:06 PM

Garviel loken.'s Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doelago View Post
We used to tell them what we thought but then they buried their head in the sand and erased any and all social media presence they had, because reasons.
yes that is true

Today, I march for Calth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 205 (permalink) Old 03-08-15, 07:06 PM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garviel loken. View Post
Yes that makes a statement, but i dont want to see harm done to BL.
No long term harm will be done if their bottom line is affected and they adapt to increase sales the way their customer base is trending. If they're not interested in finding out what customers want and adapting to survive as a business how far do they really deserve to get?

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP
post #103 of 205 (permalink) Old 03-08-15, 07:21 PM
Grand Lord Munchkin

gen.ahab's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Yes that makes a statement, but i dont want to see harm done to BL. I would rather them know what the fans think, then straight up boycott them
OK, companies are kinda like little kids. No matter how many times you tell them you're disappointed, they only really care about their cookies. If you keep giving them cookies, they will keep doing whatever it is that's pissing you off, regardless of what you tell them. The trick to getting them to listen is to stop giving them cookies. Same with businesses. The trick to getting them to listen to you is to stop paying them.

You don't have to boycott them, just not buy HH books. It's really that simple.

Of course they're still making bank of that series, so it doesn't really matter; but, hey, even if they don't change whatever they're doing with the series, you're not wasting money on bad books. Still a win in my book.

post #104 of 205 (permalink) Old 03-08-15, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gen.ahab View Post
OK, companies are kinda like little kids. No matter how many times you tell them you're disappointed, they only really care about their cookies. If you keep giving them cookies, they will keep doing whatever it is that's pissing you off, regardless of what you tell them. The trick to getting them to listen is to stop giving them cookies. Same with businesses. The trick to getting them to listen to you is to stop paying them.

You don't have to boycott them, just not buy HH books. It's really that simple.

Of course they're still making bank of that series, so it doesn't really matter; but, hey, even if they don't change whatever they're doing with the series, you're not wasting money on bad books. Still a win in my book.
Tho, can we really blame BL for the poor novels as of late? I think that is more of poor writers. Really only Abnett, ADB, french, and counter should touch the heresy

Today, I march for Calth
post #105 of 205 (permalink) Old 03-08-15, 07:57 PM
Mob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Subtle View Post
Well done to whoever made that. Shows clearly the Heresy message has been lost due to over complication of it's delivery to fans.
Thanks. If I believed in conspiracy theories I'd say that the poor design of the BL website and the paucity of info about upcoming releases is tied into the plan to obfuscate the product so much so that people can't make clear, comfortable purchasing choices and so rely on the collector / gotta-catch-em-all / loyalty instinct that just buy everything as it comes out. Despite it being a poor deal in the long term (and increasingly, the short term). Oh wait, this is a business, I guess I do believe it.

I think they're onto a dodgy path not only in terms of ethical treatment of the customers, but in terms of quality product for your money. While personal preference of course makes what I'm about to say just a general statement you can take or leave, anecdotal online and from friends comments and decent, non hype reviews and common sense have all been saying that, in the main, the series has take a sustained dip in general quality in the last two years. The same time the number and complexity of product has exploded.

Okay, personal bias time. I don't think Nick Kyme's stuff is very good. Like, it's just not. So his stuff being expensive limited edition material is laughable to me. It's not worth the money to read middlingly-plotted high-school level prose. But that was absorbable in a quality analysis when released in the same year as other material which either was variously worth the inflated limited edition price, or just good quality regular material.

What I'm seeing now is the same situation being repeated - far too regularly, in terms of initial cost or exclusivity values - but without the absorbent nature of easily accessible, lower-cost material to take the strain. It's not just that there isn't enough of the regular release, value-for-money material (there isn't) it's also that not only is the quality arguably not really there anymore, this base-level material that allows you to build more expensive and complex product on top of, ALSO comes out in poor value fashion; over-priced hardback, pointless trade edition (I used to work in the book industry and could rant about these things) and then finally, mass market edition. The mm edition's worth now having been devalued by being a year or more delayed in release, meaning that the fanbase who only purchase them are left feeling dissatisfied.

tl;dr - BL have embraced maximum we-want-your-money too hastily and are at risk of damaging the entire product line in the two years or so ahead either through sustained neglect of 'ordinary' customers or if something unexpected and seriously bad happens that generates a consumer backlash or about-face. Though to be honest, that doesn't really happen in this kind of product.
post #106 of 205 (permalink) Old 03-08-15, 08:06 PM
The Emperor Protects

Angel of Blood's Flag is: Wales

Quote:
Tho, can we really blame BL for the poor novels as of late? I think that is more of poor writers. Really only Abnett, ADB, french, and counter should touch the heresy
Well Black Library are employing them. So sure, of course we can. But hell, the piss-poor writing isn't the only issue here. If only ADB and Abnett wrote every Limited Edition they released, we would still be annoyed. Because the LE's are taking the piss. They were meant to be, or at least it seemed like they were meant to be, one off novellas released every once in a while between every 'x' amount of full novels. Whilst not being essential to the series plot, more of a bonus that you could miss without losing any important fluff or plot. Aurellian did this perfectly, it fleshed out what Lorgar experienced when he went into they Eye. Nice to know sure, but if I hadn't read it, I wouldn't have missed anything plotwise.

Now however, there are endless expensive LE novellas and now LE's novels, though they aren't quite the same length as a normal full novel, but twice the price for the fun of it.

Oh of course, then there's the format releases. I like the Collectors Editions, I always like really big special editions of novels. I'd buy hardback collectors editions of Eisenhorn, Ravenor, Gaunts Ghosts, the Night Lords series in a heartbeat if they released them (see this is the only part they will take note of if they see this post). But why release the trade paper back 6 months later? That just penalises people who don't want large, lavish books, which a lot of people don't, or more pressingly, don't want to spend that kind of money.

Don't even get me started on the anthology releases that are 90% what we already have read from eBook shorts or the Limited Editions with perhaps one, maybe two new shorts.
post #107 of 205 (permalink) Old 03-08-15, 08:11 PM
Vaz

Vaz's Flag is: United Kingdom

Counter can get fucked. As can Abnett if he turns out crap like The Unremembered Empire again.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi Baji View Post
It's not a black and white question really, there are different shades of anal probing,
a rectum spectrum, if you will
post #108 of 205 (permalink) Old 03-08-15, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel of Blood View Post
Well Black Library are employing them. So sure, of course we can. But hell, the piss-poor writing isn't the only issue here. If only ADB and Abnett wrote every Limited Edition they released, we would still be annoyed. Because the LE's are taking the piss. They were meant to be, or at least it seemed like they were meant to be, one off novellas released every once in a while between every 'x' amount of full novels. Whilst not being essential to the series plot, more of a bonus that you could miss without losing any important fluff or plot. Aurellian did this perfectly, it fleshed out what Lorgar experienced when he went into they Eye. Nice to know sure, but if I hadn't read it, I wouldn't have missed anything plotwise.

Now however, there are endless expensive LE novellas and now LE's novels, though they aren't quite the same length as a normal full novel, but twice the price for the fun of it.

Oh of course, then there's the format releases. I like the Collectors Editions, I always like really big special editions of novels. I'd buy hardback collectors editions of Eisenhorn, Ravenor, Gaunts Ghosts, the Night Lords series in a heartbeat if they released them (see this is the only part they will take note of if they see this post). But why release the trade paper back 6 months later? That just penalises people who don't want large, lavish books, which a lot of people don't, or more pressingly, don't want to spend that kind of money.

Don't even get me started on the anthology releases that are 90% what we already have read from eBook shorts or the Limited Editions with perhaps one, maybe two new shorts.
Oh trust me, the LE need to go. They are pissing me off as much as everyone else. Im fine with one or two a year, but it has gotten ridiculous.

And the 2 novels a year is just wrong

Today, I march for Calth
post #109 of 205 (permalink) Old 03-08-15, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
Counter can get fucked. As can Abnett if he turns out crap like The Unremembered Empire again.
Counter is good. Galaxy in flames was one of the best imo. Unremembered empire was good too.

Today, I march for Calth
post #110 of 205 (permalink) Old 03-08-15, 10:42 PM
Vaz

Vaz's Flag is: United Kingdom

... Not really.

... And no it wasn't

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi Baji View Post
It's not a black and white question really, there are different shades of anal probing,
a rectum spectrum, if you will

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Black Library Fiction

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode