New Tallarn HH novel coming in Feb! - Page 6 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Black Library Fiction Here is where you can discuss your favourite Black Library publications and graphic novels. If it's published by Black Library it goes here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #51 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-03-15, 02:49 PM

forkmaster's Flag is: Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Words_of_Truth View Post
I got mine and finished it, writing a summary now but will take time as it jumps around a lot.

Here's what I got so far.

The story seems to be somewhat all over the place and still doesn't conclude the conflict, which means there will be more content on it all. Kinda glad I did not buy it. Thanks for the summary version!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-03-15, 05:05 PM

Words_of_Truth's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by forkmaster View Post
The story seems to be somewhat all over the place and still doesn't conclude the conflict, which means there will be more content on it all. Kinda glad I did not buy it. Thanks for the summary version!
That wasn't it all, that was about the first half of it but I had to do other things and couldn't finish it. I've written a summary of the ending that spoils it all if you'd like that. The conflict does end though, there won't be any more.

Edit: It seems all over the place because things appear to be happening concurrently with each other. They all have a knock on effect to each other, it's actually a pretty well written intertwining novel.

Last edited by Words_of_Truth; 03-03-15 at 05:07 PM.
post #53 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-03-15, 05:09 PM

Quote:
That wasn't it all, that was about the first half of it but I had to do other things and couldn't finish it. I've written a summary of the ending that spoils it all if you'd like that. The conflict does end though, there won't be any more.

Edit: It seems all over the place because things appear to be happening concurrently with each other. They all have a knock on effect to each other, it's actually a pretty well written intertwining novel.
Ahh I retract my previous statement then!

post #54 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-03-15, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Ahh I retract my previous statement then!
Np Here's the big spoilers of the ending if you want to read them.

Last edited by Words_of_Truth; 03-03-15 at 05:56 PM.
post #55 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-04-15, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Np Here's the big spoilers of the ending if you want to read them.

How is the portrayal of Perturabo in the story? I found him rather well-written in The Crimson Fist, but not at all good in Angel Exterminatus.
post #56 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-05-15, 08:28 AM

Quote:
How is the portrayal of Perturabo in the story? I found him rather well-written in The Crimson Fist, but not at all good in Angel Exterminatus.
He's more like the Angel Exterminatus portrayal imo, thoughtful and some what paranoid now. Although he only shows up during flash backs with Hrend and when he speaks to Argonis which is once at the start and once at the end.
post #57 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-09-15, 09:28 AM

Brother Subtle's Flag is: Australia

The last LE novella I got was The Seventh Serpent. I'll be waiting my 2 years to pick them up non-LE from now on (1/3 the price). The money I save can go into replacing my old HH paperbacks into hardcovers (lots of $$$ to go there!).

post #58 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-09-15, 07:45 PM

I would be plain - this is a single example of the most dark, gloomy, ambient, oppressive and hopecrushing novel i have read in years! And it is - AWESOME!
To be fair - it should have 2 review scores, because it's score actually depends on people who read other Tallarn stuff before, and people who hasn't, and read only 1 page fluff summary. For the second group Tallarn is '10 millions tanks' - biggest armored clash in all HH (probably till the Siege of Terra). This group should not touch this novella - they would be pretty disappointed. Not by the writing style (you can't unlove this kind of writing), BUT - SPOILERS, BEWARE

it's not in the book ;) (Ok it is - in several sentences of the narrative)

But for the first group - this novel-novella (decide how to call it yourself) IS BEYOND GODLIKE. As i mentioned in a previous Tallarn review - John French is a true master of ambience, occultism and fear. To give him the praise, he actually deserve - i would call him a true Lovecraft for Black Library.
Anyway - people who wants to know the dark stuff, the secret plotlines and the actual story behind all that Tallarn conflict, - should read it! You will not regret your time. It's money and time well spent.

PS. People who wants a 10 mils of tanks battle for 230 pages - do not read this book, wait for the Forgeworld Tallarn HH fluff book. They will give you 10 mils of tanks ;)
post #59 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-05-15, 07:44 AM

Apfeljunge's Flag is: Germany

Finally finished this. I really loved the Iaeo vs Alpha Legion stuff. It's nice to have someone who can play the game on their level

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Black Library Fiction

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode