Damnation of Pythos. - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Black Library Fiction Here is where you can discuss your favourite Black Library publications and graphic novels. If it's published by Black Library it goes here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-09-14, 07:29 AM
Craw-Daddy

Shit... I don't want to read this. I can't believe this is a book. Though I'm sure there is a critical piece that will bring further contribution to the series as a whole. I actually think I have some of the same tastes as Vaz, but I will say that even the really bad novels have had a certain aspect that makes the heresy's foundations. For example, I really hate Deliverance Lost and Angel Exterminatus but there is some vague sense to it. For example, the explanation of number replenishments in the traitor legions and even conflict within the traitor legions. But dang they are bad stories.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-09-14, 08:29 AM

I believe I had said all of this in the 'rate what you read' thread.

Certainly puts me off the Iron Hands as well. No more Iron Hands please. Ever.
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-09-14, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
Prospero Burns, AND the Outcast Dead in this list.
Prospero Burns is much better than Outcast Dead, though the title is very misleading

Quote:
Know No Fear and Fear to Tread, despite fairly poor writing actually have the saving grace of "shit happens".
Know No Fear is well written. Fear to Tread is shite

post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-09-14, 04:33 PM

Garviel loken.'s Flag is: Canada

did you just say know no fear was bad writing? Now i know your full of shit
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-13-14, 01:06 AM

I'll just add my voice to this as a counterpoint. As I was reading, I never had the thought that this would be such an unpopular read, and I came away with a wildly different opinion from the majority (that has posted thus far). I thought very highly of the book altogether, though the second half seemed to drone on with not much that I found interesting.

The idea of this being a story with no relevance to the rest of the Heresy is off base. If nothing else, the epilogue is one giant 'To Be Continued,' with a BBEG (as the OP termed it) let losse and needing to be accounted for. With very little mental arithmetic, you can see how this would clear up one of the series' major plot holes for the future. That alone is a (minor) progression of the storyline, and probably the most important thing to take from the book. If dinosaur fights are your major takeaway, you may have been focusing on the wrong things.

The part I was most struck by, however, was the opening half of the story, before the cultists are introduced and the legions land on Pythos for the second time. This is the portion of the story that focused on the fallout of one of the larger storylines of the Heresy - the death of Ferrus Manus and what it means to the surviving Iron Hands. It really hadn't been addressed to any meaningful degree before Pythos. The Sevatar short (Prince of Crows) covered the chaos of the almost-death of Curze and how the Night Lords coped. And Riven scraped the surface of the Hands post-Isstvan trauma for the Hands. This book goes so much further in depth, including the effects on the serfs and human descendants of Medusa. If nothing else is of interest, at the very least it is worthwhile to see where the legion's rage comes from and how they are able to use it to guide them. The most important and beautiful passages of the book deal directly with this idea and (IMO) are as impressive as any passages that I've seen in the Heresy to this point.
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-13-14, 12:18 PM

Matcap's Flag is: Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepsix81 View Post
I'll just add my voice to this as a counterpoint.

I find myself also on the positive side of this book. It's not the best one by a long shot, but I found it a decent read which, for me, gave a nice view of marines confronting chaos for the first time. A 40k marine would notice the signs on the wall and storm in, killing all the potential cultists while sceaming heresy at the top of his lungs. Here they are far more cautious about the situation, not knowing how to handle all the stuff that happens and what it means. Sure the book is hamfisted in places, but overall I enjoyed it.
post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-18-14, 09:14 AM

There are at least four people in this thread ranting about a book they have not even read. Give me a break! I'm about half way through and really enjoying it. So far its a hell of a lot better that anything McNeill had done in the series lately.

Last edited by mal310; 08-18-14 at 09:18 AM.
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-18-14, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
Vaz

Vaz's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by mal310 View Post
There are at least four people in this thread ranting about a book they have not even read. Give me a break! I'm about half way through and really enjoying it. So far its a hell of a lot better that anything McNeill had done in the series lately.
In regards to your first comment - who is ranting about the book they've not read? There are people saying that they might not pick it up/read it because of the piss poor reviews it has got (and this isn't the extreme outliers or radicals, these are pretty much 50/50, if not more).

In regards to Graham McNeil - normally I'd agree. But Vengeful Spirit's combat scenes were honestly what you got the book for, and he delivered on that front. Compared with Annandale's disjointed and poorly paced/timed action sequences, I disagree on that front. Plotwise? They're both a pile of shit.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi Baji View Post
It's not a black and white question really, there are different shades of anal probing,
a rectum spectrum, if you will
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-19-14, 04:47 PM

nioveratus's Flag is: USA

I have to agree with Vaz...this is an utter piece of shite...this book is so boring I found myself speed-reading since nothing, I mean NOTHING happens in the whole book..action is bad written and I though he could do something new with the idea of psykers in the X legion but that was just a dead end....no cool characters and everybody dies..thank god I did not pay for this book or I would have to shoot myself...
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-19-14, 08:36 PM

Malus Darkblade's Flag is: Kuwait

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaz View Post

In regards to Graham McNeil - normally I'd agree. But Vengeful Spirit's combat scenes were honestly what you got the book for, and he delivered on that front. Compared with Annandale's disjointed and poorly paced/timed action sequences, I disagree on that front. Plotwise? They're both a pile of shit.
Did he really? All the fight scenes I've read so far are droll.

And Horus is a weakling compared to how he is described in other books. Despite being shielded by Daemonhosts, he still describes the attack by the Knight as the most excruciating he's ever felt (let's not say that because he is Horus, he's never been put in a position to be hurt in the past) while you have Lorgar shrugging off a Titan's plasma-gun and not uttering a word.

In addition it took three Primarchs, one of whom was a Daemon already, to take down a helicopter. I was not a fan of that.

Last edited by Malus Darkblade; 08-19-14 at 08:41 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Black Library Fiction

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode