Garviel Loken Thoughts(some spoilers) - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Black Library Fiction Here is where you can discuss your favourite Black Library publications and graphic novels. If it's published by Black Library it goes here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-17-14, 01:55 AM Thread Starter

Garviel loken.'s Flag is: Canada

Default Garviel Loken Thoughts(some spoilers)

So im just curious to see what everyone thinks of loken. As you can see by my name i love loken. Its so refreshing to see an astartes who somewhat cares for the people he fights for. From the very first line in horus rising i have been loyal to loken.

Now, i understand some people were not to fond on loken surviving istvaan(to each there own), but i really like this decision because, to me, loken captures every part of the luna wolves, every part of what it means to be a space marine, and, i feel, it all has to end with loken. What i mean is, the story shoud come full circle. Where loken started the series off, he should also end it.

I also have one juicy prediction, tho i could be completly wrong. I feel loken will play a major part in Aximands death. It could be loken defeating him in combat during the seige, but i think......loken will be dueling abaddon on the VS during the seige, Aximand will finally see what has become of his legion, turn loyal once more,charge abaddon, then get crushed to a pulp. Just a threory.

So, what do you guys think of Garviel Loken?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-17-14, 02:54 AM
Irn Bru 32!

Nacho libre's Flag is: Scotland

Probably one of the characters that I like the most in the HH series, second to Demeter of course.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-17-14, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacho libre View Post
Probably one of the characters that I like the most in the HH series, second to Demeter of course.
Demeter might be my favorite, if not, he always makes my top three! I think he gets forgotten by most due to only being in one book.

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-17-14, 11:10 AM
Craw-Daddy

I believe we see that beauty in Loken's character much predominately before Istvaan. I think his revival butcher's and perverse what he stands for. That was the most beautiful ending I think any hero could have ever gotten. Granted, I think another author would have highlighted it more, however, that almost godlike image about what the astartes are to humanity from Horus Rising vanishes. His death really showed that part of the Imperium that is devoted to loyalty and the Imperium. Even in the face of sure defeat and actual defeat, it gave the character something that was really taken away from him with his revival.

The most awesome characters die man, its how it is. I just wonder how people would feel if the characters from the Night Lords trilogy came back to life, simply because someone thought it would make Abaddon's Great Crusade a lot more interesting. Or worse... Horus is back to life... because he is what really makes the Chaos Legions what they are.

So I mean, not a big fan of Loken coming back to life. Granted the ending was left to interpretation, but I think thats Ben Counter's bad writing trying to cram in.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-17-14, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

Garviel loken.'s Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckcrawford View Post
I believe we see that beauty in Loken's character much predominately before Istvaan. I think his revival butcher's and perverse what he stands for. That was the most beautiful ending I think any hero could have ever gotten. Granted, I think another author would have highlighted it more, however, that almost godlike image about what the astartes are to humanity from Horus Rising vanishes. His death really showed that part of the Imperium that is devoted to loyalty and the Imperium. Even in the face of sure defeat and actual defeat, it gave the character something that was really taken away from him with his revival.

The most awesome characters die man, its how it is. I just wonder how people would feel if the characters from the Night Lords trilogy came back to life, simply because someone thought it would make Abaddon's Great Crusade a lot more interesting. Or worse... Horus is back to life... because he is what really makes the Chaos Legions what they are.

So I mean, not a big fan of Loken coming back to life. Granted the ending was left to interpretation, but I think thats Ben Counter's bad writing trying to cram in.
I totally agree that a dead character should stay dead....except loken. To me it shows that loyalty and "goodness" won't be so easily extinguished. That the good guys won't go down so easy.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-17-14, 01:17 PM
Dazed and confused.

Khorne's Fist's Flag is: Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckcrawford View Post
I think his revival butcher's and perverse what he stands for.
This. It has made a mockery of what he stood for, a man who fought against what he believed was wrong, even as he knew it was a hopeless fight. His revival, and then how he was portrayed in VS, is just plain ridiculous, and I really think he was only brought back to sell more audio dramas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garviel loken. View Post
To me it shows that loyalty and "goodness" won't be so easily extinguished. That the good guys won't go down so easy.
That's what Garro's character was all about. He was doing a pretty good job of it too, without having to bring back what was best left dead.

Last edited by Khorne's Fist; 07-17-14 at 01:19 PM.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-17-14, 04:48 PM
Bane of Empires

Child-of-the-Emperor's Flag is: United Kingdom

I loved Loken as a character in the opening trilogy. However, I wish he had died in Galaxy in Flames to represent the death of the Great Crusade (and the Luna Wolves) and to add emotional resonance to Horus's betrayal.

My views have only been reinforced since he has returned to the series and his portrayals have been annoying and sub-par. Especially in Vengeful Spirit where he and his plot bored the life out of me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cegorach View Post
I do love how we don't even need CotE to comment anymore, chances are he has already said something intelligent before that can be re-applied to the current situation.
Heresy's Background FAQ. (Fluff Project)
CotE Reviews: Prospero Burns (HH Review), Age of Darkness (HH Review).
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-17-14, 05:22 PM
The Emperor Protects

Angel of Blood's Flag is: Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garviel loken. View Post
it shows that loyalty and "goodness" won't be so easily extinguished. That the good guys won't go down so easy.
But that to me, goes against everything that is 40k. There is no happy ending, there's no version of this story where the good guys come out on top, to paraphrase old Tony Stark slightly. Loken, Tarvitz, Demeter and others all show that end of the golden era that was the Great Crusade, and the start of the decline into the hell that 40k now is.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-17-14, 07:08 PM
Irn Bru 32!

Nacho libre's Flag is: Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel of Blood View Post
But that to me, goes against everything that is 40k. There is no happy ending, there's no version of this story where the good guys come out on top, to paraphrase old Tony Stark slightly. Loken, Tarvitz, Demeter and others all show that end of the golden era that was the Great Crusade, and the start of the decline into the hell that 40k now is.
An utter shite hole... much like modern day glasgow.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-17-14, 09:41 PM
The Emperor Protects

Angel of Blood's Flag is: Wales

Whoa it's not THAT bad

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Black Library Fiction

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode