How long will the heresy series last - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Black Library Fiction Here is where you can discuss your favourite Black Library publications and graphic novels. If it's published by Black Library it goes here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 65 (permalink) Old 06-23-14, 02:09 AM Thread Starter

Garviel loken.'s Flag is: Canada

Default How long will the heresy series last

So I remember hearing somewhere that the heresy series will be about 50 books. We are 30 books done.
Now, the current pace seems to be 2 novels a year. Will the heresy series really last for 10 more years?
Ps I love the heresy so this doesn't bother me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 65 (permalink) Old 06-23-14, 02:41 AM
Senior Moderator

Never heard the fifty books in the series one before, any idea where that might have come from?

At this point, there are not many known elements of the Age of Darkness left to write (that I can recall anyway.) The Blood Angels and White Scars still need to arrive on Terra, the Death Guard still need to be trapped in the warp and Mortarion forced to make his pact with Nurgle, and Magnus needs to finally commit the remnants of his legion.

Some of those, notably the coming of the Blood Angels and White Scars, are more than likely something that can be handled in a novella or two, while the transformation (and damnation) of the Death Guard is likely to be a book in and of itself.

I personally don't think more than another dozen books, the Siege itself included.

Damnation is paved on good intentions; subtle and sugar coated or blunt and honest
A hero is someone who steps up when everyone else backs down.
Popularity is what people strive for when they lack the strength to be themselves.

Seriously, is it really that hard to write reviews without spoilers?

Reporting Posts - read this
post #3 of 65 (permalink) Old 06-23-14, 02:59 AM Thread Starter

Garviel loken.'s Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkreever View Post
Never heard the fifty books in the series one before, any idea where that might have come from?

At this point, there are not many known elements of the Age of Darkness left to write (that I can recall anyway.) The Blood Angels and White Scars still need to arrive on Terra, the Death Guard still need to be trapped in the warp and Mortarion forced to make his pact with Nurgle, and Magnus needs to finally commit the remnants of his legion.

Some of those, notably the coming of the Blood Angels and White Scars, are more than likely something that can be handled in a novella or two, while the transformation (and damnation) of the Death Guard is likely to be a book in and of itself.

I personally don't think more than another dozen books, the Siege itself included.
I believe that the bl authors are expanding on the old lore. Aaron dembski sbow den hS said that the ultramarines for instance will be getting at least another novel, as the ultramarines won't just be sitting around like the old lore suggests. We also have the war in the webway and I'm guessing some legions that haven't had much spotlight will get a novel

post #4 of 65 (permalink) Old 06-23-14, 07:42 AM
Bane of Empires

Child-of-the-Emperor's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkreever View Post
I strongly disagree, especially considering books with plots such as The Damnation of Pythos are still being released. Also, if Vengeful Spirit is anything to go by, we may see quite a few other additional books (alongside the known events you already mentioned) included in the Age of Darkness arc - eg. Russ attacking Horus. There is still the Secret War to cover as well. The continuation of the Caliban (Zadkiel, Luther etc) arc. The Lion's justification for not defending Terra (and his secret warp device). The Alpha Legion's continuing schemes post-Alaxxes Nebula. The Knights Errant (Inquisition/Grey Knights) plot. Battle of Paramar (maybe). Lorgar and the Word Bearers post-Shadow Crusade. Perturabo after his fiasco with Fulgrim. Etc.

The Imperium Secundus plot needs also tying up - Sanguinius has just been proclaimed Emperor, the story needs telling how he abandons Guilliman and makes for Terra. I think there is a big-plot bridge to cover before the Siege of Terra gets underway. Most Legion needs 'repositioning' from their 'current' positions in order for the Siege to get underway.

@Loken : No one has ever definitively stated how many books the series will contain. Personally, my guess would be quite a few more than 50. My estimate would be nearer 75, if not more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cegorach View Post
I do love how we don't even need CotE to comment anymore, chances are he has already said something intelligent before that can be re-applied to the current situation.
Heresy's Background FAQ. (Fluff Project)
CotE Reviews: Prospero Burns (HH Review), Age of Darkness (HH Review).

Last edited by Child-of-the-Emperor; 07-01-14 at 07:58 AM.
post #5 of 65 (permalink) Old 06-23-14, 08:28 AM
Chaos God of Old Night

Lord of the Night's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Child-of-the-Emperor View Post
No one has ever definitively stated how many books the series will contain. Personally, my guess would be quite a few more than 50. My estimate would be nearer 75.
Oh that's a beautiful number.

LotN

https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...red-souls.html - The Kabal of Shattered Souls Project Log
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/...Book%20Reviews - Check out Talk Wargaming for reviews by Lord of the Night.
post #6 of 65 (permalink) Old 06-23-14, 09:45 AM
sadLor's Flag is: Canada

Before Damnation of Pythos, I would've guessed 50... now, it could be anything.

30 novels in and we still haven't gotten a novel focused on the DG, IF, or NL. Novellas... but not full novels to truly flesh out these legions and how they're different.

CoTE's list of events seem pretty good...that's still a LOT of stuff to cover... and that's all before the siege.

I would add the Lion saving Russ from the AL. That needs a novella at least.

Agreed that most Legions need repositioning. Some seem like they're (almost) ready to go. After Scars, I don't think another novel is really needed for the WS. Their arrival on Terra can be a small part of another novel. Of course, an entire novel can be written about the WS's actions on Terra.
post #7 of 65 (permalink) Old 06-23-14, 10:33 AM
Dazed and confused.

Khorne's Fist's Flag is: Ireland

Personally I wish they'd hurry the fuck up with it. If we have to put up with more shit like Vengeful Spirit to get to the end, I don't know if I have the will to hang on till the end.

They could probably do it in ten books, but that ain't going to happen. I'm just sick of all the novellas and audios you have to try and keep up with to stay current. I think a dose of Heresy fatigue is setting in.

@Child-of-the-Emperor , don't forget we still have to see the conclusion of the war on Mars as well. Hopefully McNeill will do a similar job as he did with Mechanicum, and make up some of the ground he lost with VS.

Something else just occurred to me writing this. There was always the question of where the SWs were for the battle on Terra. We thought they were held up by the AL, but this is no longer the case. We now know they got to Terra, but left again in an attempt to kill Horus. This is obviously going to be unsuccessful, and Horus makes it to Terra. I'll be interested to see where they now leave Russ while Terra burns.

Last edited by Khorne's Fist; 06-23-14 at 10:39 AM.
post #8 of 65 (permalink) Old 06-23-14, 10:47 AM
Closet Dictator

Old Man78's Flag is: Ireland

Too long, with all the novellas limited editions, audios, trade paperback before regular paper back it is getting quite boring, I used to avidly await a new heresy novel, now it seems like a chore to sit down and read one and then the is the level of varied quality! However that aside, I can see the series being dragged well over 50 books

post #9 of 65 (permalink) Old 06-23-14, 12:05 PM

Moriouce's Flag is: Sweden

I myself was thinking of start read the HH books from the beginning not to long ago. I thought i was like 5 books. Then I realised it was well over 20 and that it was not finished! Now I've decided to skip the HH series altogether.

Good to be green

Barks Dakka Ladz: W3-D2-L3
Altansar Eldar: W3-D0-L2

post #10 of 65 (permalink) Old 06-23-14, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriouce View Post
I myself was thinking of start read the HH books from the beginning not to long ago. I thought i was like 5 books. Then I realised it was well over 20 and that it was not finished! Now I've decided to skip the HH series altogether.
Mistake! Many of them are truly excellent! Try the initial trilogy at least.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Black Library Fiction

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode