BL Author Blogging - Page 3 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Black Library Fiction Here is where you can discuss your favourite Black Library publications and graphic novels. If it's published by Black Library it goes here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-05-14, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

Cool. I'll try and find it. : )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-05-14, 01:56 PM
Dazed and confused.

Khorne's Fist's Flag is: Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hachiko View Post
the Legion looks damn cool, but they make for piss-poor protagonists...
Yeah, when I read the LotD collection of shorts, the one that didn't sit right was the one in which they appear to be fighting alongside a SM chapter for a protracted period, and at the end
That just didn't wash with the idea of them appearing out of the mist at the 11th hour, saving the day, and pissing off just as quickly and silently.

While I was one of those that initially whined about being deceived by the title, similar to Prospero Burns, on rereading (Helsreach is the only other SMB novel I have deemed worthy of a reread) it definitely came good for me. I do want to see more of Kersh.
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-05-14, 03:12 PM

Hachiko's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Sanders View Post
Cool. I'll try and find it. : )
http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Legion_of_the_Damned

and also

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/374854368955497028/

post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-05-14, 03:18 PM

Hachiko's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khorne's Fist View Post
Yeah, when I read the LotD collection of shorts, the one that didn't sit right was the one in which they appear to be fighting alongside a SM chapter for a protracted period, and at the end
That just didn't wash with the idea of them appearing out of the mist at the 11th hour, saving the day, and pissing off just as quickly and silently.
Good Lord, which of the six shorts did that happen in?

I really wanted to read those shorts, but abstained being as though I know there is no way they could come close to the standards set in LotD (the book). Especially with names like Kyme, Goulding, and Dunn (although he is getting better) attached. Reynolds and Annandale might do a decent yarn.

Speaking of Kersh & Co., have you read the short story Bastions in the Angels of Death Collection? It features the Excoriators (although sadly no Kersh), and it is pretty damn awesome.
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-06-14, 07:08 AM
Deathwing Commissar

Phoebus's Flag is: USA

Ultimately, marketing a novel has to be a tricky thing - double so when it is set in a "shared universe" like Warhammer 40k. As such, I agree with the main thrust of your argument. Unless the novel in question was about how the Legion of the Damned went from "normal Chapter" to "deathless revenants", I would not expect an entire novel to be about then, no. It wasn't the title that steered me away, though. I was an art major before I became a career military guy, and I think the cover - more than anything else - led me to buy into the complaints I read re: the book being advertised about one thing, but being about another. Don't get me wrong, the cover itself looked amazing, but the absence of Kersh and the World Eaters probably reinforced that unfortunate meme in the back of my cranium.

Ultimately, though, we're just shooting the shit. I don't pretend that you have full control over the marketing and decoration of your novels, and I'm certainly not trying to assign blame.

Side note: the sample chapter alone they put on the website was just right. I bought the novel on its strength alone. I don't know how other readers felt, but I thought it was just right for setting the tone of the novel and letting you know who your protagonist was going to be. I mention this because I bought this novel two weeks ago - again, on the strength of the sample - and, looking at the website now... the sample is gone. And the two pages under the Space Marine Battles shortcut don't include the novel.

I'd shoot a friendly message off to the website folks, Rob. I can't imagine I'm the only person who happily found out about this novel entirely the wrong way!
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-14, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

- Phoebus, thanks for drawing my attention to that and how you came across it. Took your advice. Looking into it now. Thanks again. : )

-New blog entry - Check it out. 'Excoriators!'

http://rob-sanders.blogspot.co.uk/20...coriators.html

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Black Library Fiction

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode