Vengeful Spirit now available to order. - Page 11 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Black Library Fiction Here is where you can discuss your favourite Black Library publications and graphic novels. If it's published by Black Library it goes here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #101 of 114 (permalink) Old 08-19-14, 07:44 PM
Dazed and confused.

Khorne's Fist's Flag is: Ireland

I know comparing reality to 40k is usually a mistake, but could you imagine 100 or even 1000 SMs conquering modern day Earth? Not likely.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 114 (permalink) Old 08-19-14, 08:02 PM

Malus Darkblade's Flag is: Kuwait

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khorne's Fist View Post
I know comparing reality to 40k is usually a mistake, but could you imagine 100 or even 1000 SMs conquering modern day Earth? Not likely.
1k Marines with gear? We wouldn't last a week.
post #103 of 114 (permalink) Old 08-19-14, 09:56 PM

Well I've just finished this on Audiobook.
Arrrggghhh, once again I felt like driving in to on coming traffic after listening to McNeills god awful descriptive drivel. Nonsense made up words and random metaphors that no one can relate to. Dude, understand what a metaphor is before I take out a contract hit on you.
Nor do I wish to hear the life story of a character you've just introduced and are just about to kill. They're cannon fodder, not filler content.
I swear, you don't need gamma radiation to get all green and angry, just read a McNeill book and you'll be hulk smashing the night away.

Right, rant about the words worst descriptive writing (after gav thorpe) aside.

The story wasn't good.
The main plot was ok. Horus wants to find out what daddy has been hiding. Ok, that could actually become an important part of the heresy storyline.
The main subplot was very weak.

What annoyed me about the story though were the changes from what has previously been written.
Previously on the Horus Heresy.
Everyone agrees that the Emperor is not a God. In fact, if I recall, one of the factors used to turn Horus was the idea that the Emperor wanted to style himself a God and Horus was adamant he was not a God.
No one knew about chaos, and when demons etc started to appear they didn't know what they were. The imperium (excluding the perpetuals of course) didn't know about the primordial annihilator.
Lunar Wolves/Sons of Horus, particularly the likes of Abaddon etc, were hard, tough, no nonsense warriors.
Mortarion was Mr Anti Magic.

In McNiells Episode:
Horus believes the Emperor is a God. As it seems does everyone else.
Everyone seems to fully understand chaos top to bottom and have done for a very long time.
The Sons of Horus are the biggest whiny pussies in the Galaxy. The vengeful spirit should be called the waaaambulance. Oh No Horus, don't go in there you might get hurt, let us go.
Mortarion - yeah this has been covered hasn't it.

There is very little redeeming about this book. In fact, it was so full of drivel, I can't even remember what happened in the end. The moment McNeills goes off on his made up terminologies and unnecessary descriptive drivel my brain shuts down so big chunks of the story are just lost to me.

I liked the action. McNeill is good at action. He's normally ok at bringing characters to life through dialogue as well but not this time. I couldn't keep track of who was who because they were so dull and uninteresting and needless and wow my brain just shut off again.

I'm tempted to listen again and maybe i'll pick up on bits that I've missed, but not for the moment. Next up is either Promethean Sun or Aurelian.

post #104 of 114 (permalink) Old 08-19-14, 11:39 PM
Dazed and confused.

Khorne's Fist's Flag is: Ireland

Go with Aurelian. Prometean Sun adds exactly nothing to the series.
post #105 of 114 (permalink) Old 08-20-14, 05:21 PM

Roninman's Flag is: Finland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen74 View Post
I liked the action. McNeill is good at action. He's normally ok at bringing characters to life through dialogue as well but not this time.
I think atleast the first battles in this book were totally awfull. Space battle with tomb ships blaaah, first ground battle with armor rushing straight to defensive guns, blaaah. Really clever tactics by master strategist Horus.... If you cant write some interesting battles which shows some good strategy or tactics, then should skip writing these battles totally. These were propably most boring parts of book for me. And so unbelievable stupid too
post #106 of 114 (permalink) Old 08-20-14, 07:18 PM
Craw-Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khorne's Fist View Post
Go with Aurelian. Prometean Sun adds exactly nothing to the series.
I've heard that across the board. I think I saw someone on Ebay selling their Promethean Sun for over 400 bucks on ebay a couple weeks ago... good luck with that.
post #107 of 114 (permalink) Old 08-23-14, 02:45 PM

Garviel loken.'s Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen74 View Post
Well I've just finished this on Audiobook.
Arrrggghhh, once again I felt like driving in to on coming traffic after listening to McNeills god awful descriptive drivel. Nonsense made up words and random metaphors that no one can relate to. Dude, understand what a metaphor is before I take out a contract hit on you.
Nor do I wish to hear the life story of a character you've just introduced and are just about to kill. They're cannon fodder, not filler content.
I swear, you don't need gamma radiation to get all green and angry, just read a McNeill book and you'll be hulk smashing the night away.

Right, rant about the words worst descriptive writing (after gav thorpe) aside.

The story wasn't good.
The main plot was ok. Horus wants to find out what daddy has been hiding. Ok, that could actually become an important part of the heresy storyline.
The main subplot was very weak.

What annoyed me about the story though were the changes from what has previously been written.
Previously on the Horus Heresy.
Everyone agrees that the Emperor is not a God. In fact, if I recall, one of the factors used to turn Horus was the idea that the Emperor wanted to style himself a God and Horus was adamant he was not a God.
No one knew about chaos, and when demons etc started to appear they didn't know what they were. The imperium (excluding the perpetuals of course) didn't know about the primordial annihilator.
Lunar Wolves/Sons of Horus, particularly the likes of Abaddon etc, were hard, tough, no nonsense warriors.
Mortarion was Mr Anti Magic.

In McNiells Episode:
Horus believes the Emperor is a God. As it seems does everyone else.
Everyone seems to fully understand chaos top to bottom and have done for a very long time.
The Sons of Horus are the biggest whiny pussies in the Galaxy. The vengeful spirit should be called the waaaambulance. Oh No Horus, don't go in there you might get hurt, let us go.
Mortarion - yeah this has been covered hasn't it.

There is very little redeeming about this book. In fact, it was so full of drivel, I can't even remember what happened in the end. The moment McNeills goes off on his made up terminologies and unnecessary descriptive drivel my brain shuts down so big chunks of the story are just lost to me.

I liked the action. McNeill is good at action. He's normally ok at bringing characters to life through dialogue as well but not this time. I couldn't keep track of who was who because they were so dull and uninteresting and needless and wow my brain just shut off again.

I'm tempted to listen again and maybe i'll pick up on bits that I've missed, but not for the moment. Next up is either Promethean Sun or Aurelian.
yeah, my one problem with mcniel is some of his outlandish word choices. I have to stop while reading just to pronounce the bloody thing
post #108 of 114 (permalink) Old 08-24-14, 03:07 PM

I liked that at least Vengeful Spirit is a return to putting Horus at the center of the Horus Heresy books.
It's been too long since we've had a book with any meaningful content pertaining to the actions of the Warmaster himself.

With that being said, Vengeful Spirit was ultimately something of a disappointment to me, as it seems to have been to some of you guys too.

The whole book feels a bit like an excuse to write a battle novel and then shove Horus and Loken in there as the "fan bait".
I really didn't care much for Loken's role in this book or indeed the whole storyline that he is involved in.

I do think that the Horus storyline is acceptable, though there are several questionable bits that annoyed me.

I think the most positive way to look at "Vengeful Spirit" is that it is a cool novel about a planetary invasion during the Horus Heresy and it adds a little flavor into the Horus story.

Definitely not in my personal top 5 of Horus Heresy books, though.

Check out my Warhammer 40k Book reviews at: Warhammer 40k Book Reviews Youtube Channel
post #109 of 114 (permalink) Old 08-24-14, 08:15 PM

Garviel loken.'s Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40kBookReviews View Post
I liked that at least Vengeful Spirit is a return to putting Horus at the center of the Horus Heresy books.
It's been too long since we've had a book with any meaningful content pertaining to the actions of the Warmaster himself.

With that being said, Vengeful Spirit was ultimately something of a disappointment to me, as it seems to have been to some of you guys too.

The whole book feels a bit like an excuse to write a battle novel and then shove Horus and Loken in there as the "fan bait".
I really didn't care much for Loken's role in this book or indeed the whole storyline that he is involved in.

I do think that the Horus storyline is acceptable, though there are several questionable bits that annoyed me.

I think the most positive way to look at "Vengeful Spirit" is that it is a cool novel about a planetary invasion during the Horus Heresy and it adds a little flavor into the Horus story.

Definitely not in my personal top 5 of Horus Heresy books, though.
My favorite part of the story was actually the loken parts. I may be a tad biased but i really enjoyed how it shows his struggles throughout the book.
post #110 of 114 (permalink) Old 08-25-14, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garviel loken. View Post
My favorite part of the story was actually the loken parts. I may be a tad biased but i really enjoyed how it shows his struggles throughout the book.
Hehe, well given your name I'm gonna assume you're a bit of a Loken fan... ;)

I dunno, it's not like it was terrible. I think you just really need to have a lot of emotion already invested in Loken for the story to resonate and I don't really have that.
Maybe if I had gone back and re-read the first handful of HH books then I'd feel more excited to be reading about Loken.

Check out my Warhammer 40k Book reviews at: Warhammer 40k Book Reviews Youtube Channel

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Black Library Fiction

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode