Black Library Reviews by Lord of the Night @ Talk Wargaming - Page 5 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Black Library Fiction Here is where you can discuss your favourite Black Library publications and graphic novels. If it's published by Black Library it goes here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 58 (permalink) Old 09-21-15, 05:17 PM

Captain_Loken's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anakwanar View Post
One additional mentioning deserve editors and author himself for a lot of crack being used, then writing and approving the scene on Nocturne with SM burning Life-eater virus with FUCKING FLAMERS!

To be fair, I believe in Galaxy in Flames it was written that Horus orders the fire bombing of Istvaan III.... to get rid of the life eater virus...

So, maybe it has already been mentioned that fire can break down the virus and clear it away...

Also, just a bit of advice. If you want someone to take you seriously and completely understand what you're saying, try your best to speak clearly. I'm going to be honest, I had trouble reading much of what you wrote...

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR HIS SKULL THRONE!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 58 (permalink) Old 09-21-15, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
Chaos God of Old Night

Lord of the Night's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Lucian View Post
I personally found Deathfire pretty enjoyable, I think many have let their bias against Nick Kyme color their judgment.
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobss View Post
From what I've heard Deathfire sounds pretty poor, and I admit LOTN has always used a reviewing scale some of us in the community don't agree with, but... c'mon, mate.
This is my reviewing scale;

1/10 - Abysmal
2/10 - Very Bad
3/10 - Bad
4/10 - Below Average
5/10 - Average
6/10 - Above Average
7/10 - Good
8/10 - Very Good
9/10 - Great
10/10 - Excellent (I firmly believe that 10/10 does not mean perfect and is thus an achievable score. If you don't agree then that is fine, it's a very subject-to-opinion area, but you won't change my mind.)

Quote:
But I'm unable to give any credibility to your review.
I don't care. I don't write reviews to get credibility, I write them to share my opinions which are as valid as the next mans. You may not agree with my review, but don't dare claim that my opinion is less valuable than your own.

Quote:
It is written by a fanboy to get an early book, or I don't know what for, because any sane man can't like that piece of trash, that is called 'Deathfire'.
No, it most definitely was not. I paid my 25 to get a copy of Deathfire like most everyone else who bought it, but even if it had been a gift it wouldn't affect my opinion of it. Good or bad, my reviews are honest and I would NEVER recommend a book that I didn't enjoy.

Quote:
Actions scenes are bland and wooden
Actually I found the action scenes in Deathfire to have a power to them that most BL fiction lacks for a very simple reason; Bolters. In most BL novels Bolters just read like machine guns to me, guns that fire bullets that shred their enemies through weight of fire. But in Deathfire, they felt like the propelled frag-grenade-bullet launchers that they are meant to be; the descriptions of Astartes having limbs and armor blown off by single shells, being thrown around like rag-dolls as the rounds explode inside them. This and the sheer endurability and strength that the Salamanders show, they felt like immovable objects that could throw a punch, is what made the action scenes work for me. Were they perfect? No, I felt that there could have been more to distinguish the Salamanders, Death Guard and Word Bearers through unique approaches to combat and unit use than there was.

Quote:
Book plot uninspired; all the Odyssey line is horrible as ...k. Especially with 'Yeah we got to Terra' - fuck terra we need to go to Nocturne, let's jump into the hellscape again! Glories!
I found the plot rather exciting because we didn't know how it would end. The Heresy is mostly mapped and even books like Calth and Signus follow a plan that we know, but Deathfire is the first novel in quite a while where I truly didn't know where it was going and how it would end; and that was a factor that made it enjoyable. As for the conundrum faced by the Salamanders on their choice of destination, it was a perfectly legitimate problem. Loyalty to Emperor or Primarch? It's a tough question. Should they abandon their gene-father, whom they have a connection with like no other, who gave them self-respect and the strength to stop martyring themselves over every little cause, who showed them the most respect that any Primarch has shown his Legion by admitting that he was humbled by their many sacrifices prior to meeting him. Or should they heed the call to their father's own father, the man who made them and gave them the opportunity to do so much good for humanity, should they place their own planet and father above that of humanity's homeworld and shirk their duty for a personal problem. It was a real issue, and one that I felt Kyme handled very well.

Quote:
Villains are such a clowns that you can't even appreciate them seriously.
I found Quor Gallek to be a rather unsettling villain due to his belief that the galaxy needed to be absorbed into Chaos. Even Erebus wants to rule the galaxy, but Gallek wants to destroy. He is a nihilist that wants to see everything burn, literally. Other traitors scream that constantly, but in reality what they want is to topple the empire and make themselves lords over creation. Very few actually want to see creation burn and die, and Gallek is one of those few. He could have used more scenes and I would have liked to see more of his particular brand of evil, and more of what set him apart from the other Word Bearer Dark Apostles, but what was there was good. As for Laestigon, I liked him as well. I could see right away why he had been abandoned by the Death Guard, he was a glory hound and a true dog of war who cared only about making a name for himself (a true irony considering that it wouldn't matter what he did, by 40k very few would even be allowed to remember his name), and that desire for immortality (perhaps the only version of it in 40k that doesn't come with a horrific price attached to it) made him an interesting character, I felt he has come the closest to capturing the "enduring footslogger" image of the Death Guard that most characters in-universe have of them. Like Gallek I think the real flaw is that he wasn't used as much as he should have been, he needed more screen time to turn him into a more well-rounded character. What was there was good, but it could have been built even further on.

Quote:
One additional mentioning deserve editors and author himself for a lot of crack being used, then writing and approving the scene on Nocturne with SM burning Life-eater virus with FUCKING FLAMERS! Do you approve that Lord? Really? You think that writing is going accordingly with logic?
Considering that extreme heat is a real method used to cleanse objects of contamination by bacteria and viruses, yes I do think it goes accordingly with logic. Whether it should work or not is another matter, but it has basis in reality. I am unsure exactly how to feel about that scene, on the one-hand I can see how it could in theory work, but whether it should have or not is something I couldn't really make up my mind on. I'll have a re-read of it and see if that helps me make a decision.

Quote:
If I ever wasn't agreeing with you - is about that book. THAT THE MOST HORRIBLE HORUS HERESY NOVEL TO DATE. Even Battle for the Abyss is a masterpiece - comparing to that.
Nope, for me the worst Heresy novel so far is either Battle for the Abyss or Legion. My reviews on Talk Wargaming give my opinion of those books succintly.

http://www.talkwargaming.com/2014/07...us-heresy.html

http://www.talkwargaming.com/2014/07...-heresy_4.html

Quote:
Plus the biggest crap of an ending - PRIMARCH IS REBORN FROM THE FIRES OF THE MOUNTAIN AFTER A LEGIONARY WENT TO THE MOUNTAIN AND SACRIFICE HIMSELF! REALLY??????? IF DADDY VULKAN IS A FUCKING PAGAN GOD NOW - WHY ALL THIS CIRCUS?
Blood sacrifice has been long established as EXTREMELY powerful in 40k. The trade of life for life has incredible significance in the Warp, and the Warp affects reality on a continuous basis. There is a lot of precedent as well; the Eldar Phoenix Lords can only be reborn if an Exarch sacrifices their very existence for them, the Emperor is kept alive by the sacrifice of over a thousand psykers a day, human sacrifice is used to create terrible Daemons for battle by the most Chaos-aligned Traitor Legions, and more. Vulkan's rebirth is made possible by the most powerful sacrifice of all, a willing sacrifice based in faith; Numeon's complete and total faith in Vulkan gives his act far more power than slitting his throat over an altar would, and that power is what allows Vulkan's Perpetual gift to be reignited (which is how I read that scene.)

Also Anakwanar, work on your punctuation. It's atrocious and reads, as Bobss said, like a 15-year old childs.

LotN

https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...red-souls.html - The Kabal of Shattered Souls Project Log
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/...Book%20Reviews - Check out Talk Wargaming for reviews by Lord of the Night.
post #43 of 58 (permalink) Old 09-21-15, 06:40 PM

The Emperor only sacrifices 1k? Man, I thought I heard something like 10k.

That actually changes the way I think a bit. Thanks for that.

post #44 of 58 (permalink) Old 09-21-15, 06:41 PM
piemelke's Flag is: Belgium

I read deathfire and in all honesty I found it not to be that bad, given a kyme book (same for rebirth). Although I still feel it is below par.
LOTN, I sometimes feel that your utter passion for the setting lays a pink veil over your books whilst reading (that is a compliment).
post #45 of 58 (permalink) Old 09-21-15, 07:49 PM
Brother Lucian's Flag is: Denmark

I just try to enjoy the book for the intent and story they convey, and not worrying too much about minor detailmishaps. And taking it for as it is for the overall Heresy narrative. If you are looking for litterary masterpieces in Black Library fiction, you are looking in the wrong place.

Warhammer Fantasy, 40k and Heresy novels have entertained me plenty over the years. But if you really want to talk about something thats scraping the bottom of the barrel, its most of the Age of Sigmar writtings. Pretty much only Guy haley have managed to do something decently with it so far. Which is why I have no interest in buying any of the recent load of AoS shorts.
post #46 of 58 (permalink) Old 09-21-15, 07:50 PM
The Emperor Protects

Angel of Blood's Flag is: Wales

8.5 out of 10 for Deathfire?!?! I just don't even know...
post #47 of 58 (permalink) Old 09-21-15, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Chaos God of Old Night

Lord of the Night's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Loken View Post
The Emperor only sacrifices 1k? Man, I thought I heard something like 10k.

That actually changes the way I think a bit. Thanks for that.
It might actually be that, i'm not 100% sure. It's definitely in the thousand range though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by piemelke View Post
LOTN, I sometimes feel that your utter passion for the setting lays a pink veil over your books whilst reading (that is a compliment).
Perhaps, but that is the way I like it. I read other reviews sometimes and what I notice a lot is; they focus on the flaws. I don't like to do that. When I read/watch/play something, I want to talk about what makes it great, what I liked about it, what made it worth the time of my life I spent doing it. I don't particularly want to wax lyrical about it's flaws, that isn't to say that I won't talk about them at all, but i'd much rather talk about what makes something shine rather than what drags it down. My reviews reflect that, I want to tell you about the good stuff, not the bad stuff. Because everything has bad stuff in it, and focusing on that is the wrong thing to do in my opinion.

If you read/watch/play something and afterward all you want to do is talk about the flaws, you are taking the wrong kind of experience away from it in my honest opinion.

LotN

https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...red-souls.html - The Kabal of Shattered Souls Project Log
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/...Book%20Reviews - Check out Talk Wargaming for reviews by Lord of the Night.
post #48 of 58 (permalink) Old 09-21-15, 07:54 PM

Malus Darkblade's Flag is: Kuwait

Legion 4.2/10

>.<
post #49 of 58 (permalink) Old 09-21-15, 07:55 PM
Brother Lucian's Flag is: Denmark

Sometimes the sheer negativity in this forum can be quite depressive when certain people go on yet another author bashing.

So I applaud you, LoTN for a more constructive thinking. I believe in positive reinforcement, though I am sorely taxed to say much good about AoS. Hopefully it can improve as the setting matures and the writters have more to work with and expanding beyond mere battlereport stories.
post #50 of 58 (permalink) Old 09-21-15, 08:04 PM

Hey LotN, I didn't see an answer for this, but did you do a talk war-gaming review for Soul Hunter?

If so, could you spare a link?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Black Library Fiction

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode