Advent Shorts 2013! - Page 6 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Black Library Fiction Here is where you can discuss your favourite Black Library publications and graphic novels. If it's published by Black Library it goes here.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #51 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-20-13, 06:27 AM
csw
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 19
Reputation: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitarus View Post
So, uh, what's the black & white, blueprint-ish picture at BL??
Probably that rumored Horus Heresy graphic novel about the Ultramarines flagship chasing down the Word Bearers ship Kor Phaeron used to escape from Calth.
csw is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #52 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-20-13, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
forkmaster's Avatar
forkmaster's Flag is: Sweden
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Eye of Terror!
Posts: 2,321
Reputation: 15
Default

Day 20! Advent Day Twenty - Marneus Calgar: Lord of Ultramar!


The Story: In the aftermath of the Bloodborn invasion of Ultramar, Marneus Calgar meets with his Chief Librarian in the shadow of their primarch’s stasis-tomb. As they reflect upon the hardships of the past year and contemplate the future, both Tigurius and his Chapter Master realise that difficult decisions must be made – and a powerful enemy must be faced, lest Ultramar suffer greater losses still.

To be quite honest, I haven't read any Ultramarines from Graham, but his series feels so milked right now. It's almost like I want to tell him "Stop it with this single Chapter and move on to other projects!" I know he can write other interesting stories.
forkmaster is offline  
post #53 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-20-13, 10:26 AM
Senior Member
 
Vitarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 247
Reputation: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by csw View Post
Probably that rumored Horus Heresy graphic novel about the Ultramarines flagship chasing down the Word Bearers ship Kor Phaeron used to escape from Calth.
Heh. You may be right.
Vitarus is offline  
 
post #54 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-21-13, 09:13 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
forkmaster's Avatar
forkmaster's Flag is: Sweden
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Eye of Terror!
Posts: 2,321
Reputation: 15
Default

Day 21! Advent Day Twenty One - Lucius: The Eternal Blade!


The Story: Renowned as one of the finest duelists the galaxy has ever known, Lucius seeks ever greater challenges against which to test himself. After the Emperor's Children Legion scattered in the wake of their primarch's apotheosis on Iydris, he finds his way into the domain of a similarly legendary swordsman - Sanakht of the Thousand Sons. But which of these infamous warriors carries the greater favour amongst their new masters?

Ooooh this one I'm highly interested about. It's post-Angel Exterminatus.
forkmaster is offline  
post #55 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-21-13, 10:32 AM
Bane of Empires
 
Child-of-the-Emperor's Avatar
Child-of-the-Emperor's Flag is: United Kingdom
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: England
Posts: 5,131
Reputation: 19
Default

There seems to be a mix-up with the title. It's meant to be Lucius: The Eternal Blade rather The Eternal Blademaster.

Anyway, I've just listened to it. It was okay.



Quote:
Originally Posted by cegorach View Post
I do love how we don't even need CotE to comment anymore, chances are he has already said something intelligent before that can be re-applied to the current situation.
Heresy's Background FAQ. (Fluff Project)
CotE Reviews: Prospero Burns (HH Review), Age of Darkness (HH Review).

Last edited by Child-of-the-Emperor; 12-21-13 at 01:06 PM.
Child-of-the-Emperor is offline  
post #56 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-21-13, 11:29 AM
Deathwing Commissar
 
Phoebus's Avatar
Phoebus's Flag is: USA
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Wandering...
Posts: 1,846
Reputation: 23
Default

So...



Poor Horus. He had to destroy about a third of four of the Legions that would follow him in his Heresy. Then he had to lose even more Space Marines because Angron felt the need to go melee against the survivors on Isstvan III. Then he had to deal with the Night Lords falling apart and splitting into who knows how many warbands. To say nothing of the increasing unreliability and degeneration of the World Eaters. Now one of the smallest Legions under his command ...



No wonder things fell apart for Horus in the end.

EDIT: in all seriousness, it sounds like a story for the sake of telling a story. The compliment I paid to Dembski-Bowden on his Facebook page for the Abaddon piece he wrote was that it avoided being exactly that. He managed to squeeze nuance and impact in a tiny story and made what was ostensibly a plug for a novel feel like anything but.

By contrast, I can't help but feel that this is an attempt to make up for the handling of Lucius in Angel Exterminatus. Frankly, I felt like that was one of the weak points of the novel; it didn't really serve any purpose and it went against the grain of Lucius being this amazing prodigy. So what, now we get a short story that emphasizes what a badass this guy is? We knew that before a half fleshed-out character that featured less than almost any one else in the supporting cast (but happened to be a supreme swordsman as well) cut him down to size.

Last edited by Phoebus; 12-21-13 at 11:38 AM.
Phoebus is offline  
post #57 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-21-13, 02:17 PM
Bane of Empires
 
Child-of-the-Emperor's Avatar
Child-of-the-Emperor's Flag is: United Kingdom
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: England
Posts: 5,131
Reputation: 19
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoebus View Post
So...



Poor Horus. He had to destroy about a third of four of the Legions that would follow him in his Heresy. Then he had to lose even more Space Marines because Angron felt the need to go melee against the survivors on Isstvan III. Then he had to deal with the Night Lords falling apart and splitting into who knows how many warbands. To say nothing of the increasing unreliability and degeneration of the World Eaters. Now one of the smallest Legions under his command ...



No wonder things fell apart for Horus in the end.

EDIT: in all seriousness, it sounds like a story for the sake of telling a story. The compliment I paid to Dembski-Bowden on his Facebook page for the Abaddon piece he wrote was that it avoided being exactly that. He managed to squeeze nuance and impact in a tiny story and made what was ostensibly a plug for a novel feel like anything but.

By contrast, I can't help but feel that this is an attempt to make up for the handling of Lucius in Angel Exterminatus. Frankly, I felt like that was one of the weak points of the novel; it didn't really serve any purpose and it went against the grain of Lucius being this amazing prodigy. So what, now we get a short story that emphasizes what a badass this guy is? We knew that before a half fleshed-out character that featured less than almost any one else in the supporting cast (but happened to be a supreme swordsman as well) cut him down to size.
You seem to be becoming increasingly more cynical P... I like it.



Quote:
Originally Posted by cegorach View Post
I do love how we don't even need CotE to comment anymore, chances are he has already said something intelligent before that can be re-applied to the current situation.
Heresy's Background FAQ. (Fluff Project)
CotE Reviews: Prospero Burns (HH Review), Age of Darkness (HH Review).
Child-of-the-Emperor is offline  
post #58 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-21-13, 02:26 PM
Deathwing Commissar
 
Phoebus's Avatar
Phoebus's Flag is: USA
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Wandering...
Posts: 1,846
Reputation: 23
Default

I am, I think. At this point, I just expect much more from this series and a large share of the offerings just aren't meeting this expectations. I refuse to judge this series (or the setting in general) on the merits of mere "genre fiction".
Phoebus is offline  
post #59 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-21-13, 02:40 PM
The Emperor Protects
 
Angel of Blood's Avatar
Angel of Blood's Flag is: Wales
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 5,262
Reputation: 41
Default

Ah welcome Phoebus Join me and CotE in our pessimism!
Angel of Blood is offline  
post #60 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-22-13, 09:48 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
forkmaster's Avatar
forkmaster's Flag is: Sweden
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Eye of Terror!
Posts: 2,321
Reputation: 15
Default

Day 22! Advent Day Twenty Two - Bjorn: The Fell-Handed!


The Story: After the battle is over, as the fire burns and the blood dries, tales are told and sagas forged. And no warrior of the Space Wolves is the hero of more stories than Bjorn the Fell-Handed. On Moreal, Finnvid tells of the heroics he witnessed from the ancient Dreadnought as Bjorn battled a foe beyond understanding, but one with which he was strangely familiar…

Told you there would be another of Bjorn! ;)
forkmaster is offline  
Reply

  Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Black Library Fiction

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome