The Unremembered Empire, Spoilers abound - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Black Library Fiction Here is where you can discuss your favourite Black Library publications and graphic novels. If it's published by Black Library it goes here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 115 (permalink) Old 10-04-13, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
The Emperor Protects

Angel of Blood's Flag is: Wales

Default The Unremembered Empire, Spoilers abound

Let's get a thread going to discuss the novel then! Spoilers will be abundant, so if you didn't realise that from the title, turn back now.

Only got 100 pages left to go now, and whilst I'm enjoying the novel immensely, two things are bothering me. First, I'm finding Curze to be a little too unstoppable. Towards the start of the novel Guilliman was nearly killed by a squad of Alpha Legion, now though we don't know who they were, nothing suggests they were the greatest of the XX Legion. Curze on the other hand, so far has had the very best of the Dark Angels and Ultramarines pursuing and fighting him, along with what I imagine were a very dangerous pack of Wolves, seeing as they had been sent to potentially kill a Primarch anyway. He's also fought Guilliman and the Lion at the same time, and held them off, even wounding the Lion quite badly, the same Lion who has beaten him twice now in the past. He's also just managed to kill Vulkan, again I might add, granted Vulkan is not really at his best, but the point still stands, and fuck knows how he survived that explosion he was in the heart of, utterly unharmed at that. And he's still on the loose now!

Secondly. Where...the actual fuck...is Sanguinius!? I've got less than 100 pages to go and he still hasn't arrived. Why put him on the cover, when the Lion has featured throughout most of the novel. Both Curze and Vulkan have appeared for more than 100 pages now, so both of them will have beaten him at page count as well. And with the way it's going at the moment, I can't see him turning up for at least another chapter or two either, I've almost resigned myself to seeing him arrive in the epilogue now. Like I said, I'm still enjoying it a lot, a massive amount, but I really expected to see quite a lot of Sanguinius in this novel, thought most of the novel would be about him in fact.

Feel free to post any spoilers, I won't be looking at this thread again till I finish the novel in the next hour or so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 115 (permalink) Old 10-05-13, 01:37 AM

Sanguinius only arrives at the last ten or so pages. The cover is basically the last scene in the novel.
post #3 of 115 (permalink) Old 10-05-13, 02:18 AM Thread Starter
The Emperor Protects

Angel of Blood's Flag is: Wales

Yup, like I thought. Again, still really liked the novel, but was more than a little disappointed to not really see Sanguinius at all. Though as a huge fan of the Lion, I was more than happy to see him appear.

post #4 of 115 (permalink) Old 10-05-13, 10:18 AM
Brother Lucian's Flag is: Denmark

Regarding Vulkan
post #5 of 115 (permalink) Old 10-05-13, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel of Blood View Post
Only got 100 pages left to go now, and whilst I'm enjoying the novel immensely, two things are bothering me. First, I'm finding Curze to be a little too unstoppable. Towards the start of the novel Guilliman was nearly killed by a squad of Alpha Legion, now though we don't know who they were, nothing suggests they were the greatest of the XX Legion. Curze on the other hand, so far has had the very best of the Dark Angels and Ultramarines pursuing and fighting him, along with what I imagine were a very dangerous pack of Wolves, seeing as they had been sent to potentially kill a Primarch anyway. He's also fought Guilliman and the Lion at the same time, and held them off, even wounding the Lion quite badly, the same Lion who has beaten him twice now in the past. He's also just managed to kill Vulkan, again I might add, granted Vulkan is not really at his best, but the point still stands, and fuck knows how he survived that explosion he was in the heart of, utterly unharmed at that. And he's still on the loose now!
Well the obvious answer that Abnett loves Curze.

But to be more serious It's probably more because Curze is in his element instead of simply fighting straight up, i.e being allowed to go all Batman on people instead of fighting duels with the Lion.

To be honest I'm more disappointed with Guilliman and Vulkan. Guilliman is almost killed by ten Alpha Legionaries, whereas we see Primarchs in other novels slaughtering Astartes by the dozens with ease. It's even more odd when Guilliman is apparently hailed as one of the best fighters among the Primarchs.

I guess you can make some allowances, since they basically caught Guilliman off guard in an ambush. But it's basically weird to see Guilliman almost killed by bolter shells when we see Primarchs shrug off much worse in the past.

Then Vulkan is apparently killed multiple times by Damon with a shuriken rifle. Wha...?
post #6 of 115 (permalink) Old 10-05-13, 03:38 PM

Won't read the book, but I am sure Vulkan's is a comic book death. I can't imagine them changing the entire HH and 40k storyline that much.
post #7 of 115 (permalink) Old 10-05-13, 03:53 PM

Words_of_Truth's Flag is: United Kingdom

Yeah I think Vulkan is definitely not dead, Eldrad told John how to cure him and as far as I can make out he didn't everything Eldrad said in the end and that was to cure him of his insanity. Perhaps it's just reset his resurrection clock as before he was litterally hit the deck dead and then opening his eyes.

I really hope Vulkan ends up fighting at Terra, defending one of the gates, an unstoppable Primarch single handedly beating people down, then again Sanguinius kind of does that, but I don't see what gate Vulkan could be defending that would have a major impact on the Heresy, because according to the Cabal Vulkan is a major obstacle when it comes to Chaos trimuphing so dramatically that it burns it'self out.

I also agree Curze was over the top in this novel, it was cool but it got to the point where he was ridiculously over powered, especially when you consider how easy Guilliman nearly went down. Only Vulkan seemed to do any damage to him and tbh some of his hits should of cracked Curze's spine.
post #8 of 115 (permalink) Old 10-05-13, 11:36 PM

On an unrelated, but related topic, isn't Vulkan supposed to be the strongest as far as muscle goes? I think in the realm of pure strength it was him and Manus that were supposed to be top dogs. I haven't read the book, but I think that anything Vulkan could hit he would destroy. Your best play against him would be "Don't get hit". A few primarchs like Fulgrim could pull that off and maybe kill him, but not Curze. Curze is a savage and I would tend to think he leads with his chin.

I do like the idea of Vulkan being on Terra during the siege. A fight between him and Angron would be epic. I personaly would like to see Angron tearing through Astartes at the gate and Vulkan comes out and KO's him in one punch.
post #9 of 115 (permalink) Old 10-06-13, 03:13 AM

Just finished the book One of the best if not the best so far in the series. Felt like the Primarchs were really given some depth by Abnett.

My thought on Guilliman getting the crap knocked out of him is .
1 He was wearing ceremonial armor
2 Surprised and taken totally unaware by the Alpha legion( He was in the process of taking his armor off)
3 It felt like to me it maybe took a total of twenty seconds for the whole fight to start and finish. Not to bad for the position that he was in.

Vulcan was easily defeated many times due to his insanity and due to his health never being restored from the reentry and landing . He wasn't fully healed when he broke out of the medcade so when kruz kills him with a single stab from his gauntlets he was all ready half dead.
post #10 of 115 (permalink) Old 10-06-13, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gree View Post

Then Vulkan is apparently killed multiple times by Damon with a shuriken rifle. Wha...?
He gets shot by a guy dual-wielding two shuriken-pistols from and Eldar Lord's private arsenal that can spit out thousands of razor-rounds in less than four seconds.

Plus he was pretty much buck-naked at that point, so no armour.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Black Library Fiction

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode