Newbie, where to start reading? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Black Library Fiction Here is where you can discuss your favourite Black Library publications and graphic novels. If it's published by Black Library it goes here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-27-13, 06:06 AM Thread Starter

Default Newbie, where to start reading?

Ive recently got into WH40k with Dark Angels army in Dark Vengeance set. Im more than familiar with 40k fluff/lore after reading countless wiki articles, playing video games and scouring the forums

Now I want to read a few good Wh40k Novels, short stories, just books in general.
However I have no idea where to start. I want to read something from 41st millennium before I go to read Horus Heresy novels and those I will probably just read in order.
What would be an amazing first novel that would really hook me up on 40k books?
Also any good Dark Angels novels?
Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-27-13, 06:41 AM

DeathJester921's Flag is: USA

BLOOD RAVENS OMNIBUS *gets bludgeoned* Yeah, just kidding, don't start with the Blood Ravens books. In fact, don't touch them. Don't touch anything by C.S. Goto. Ever.

I haven't read all that many 40K books aside from the Ultramarines Omnibus (in which case read for yourself, don't let other peoples opinions of it and the author dissuade you from reading it... unless the opinions are about C.S. Goto.), and several of the Space Marines Battles books. So from what all I've read, I'd say start with possibly Helsreach or Battle of the Fang (both space marines battles books).

My youtube channel. Feel free to stop by and have a look if you're interested. I do Airsoft, some warhammer related videos, and gaming videos.

R.I.P. Uncle Lee. You will be greatly missed by us all. We will see each other again some day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamTheApostle View Post
Remember kids: Violence isn't the answer, its the question. The answer is yes.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-27-13, 07:47 AM

fatmantis's Flag is: New Zealand

well it really does matter what your interested in...if you like space wolves go read the omnibus, ect for nigtlords, greyknights, ultramarine's..etc etc etc.

i would really start with an army you are working on,,you say you have darkangels so i would suggest Ravenwing, it has some lovely fluff, how they comprise their companies but also a good story.

but with anything in life what one person will like another will hate. so it really is up to you you have to read it, so make sure its something you interested in.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-27-13, 10:24 AM
The Emperor Protects

Angel of Blood's Flag is: Wales

I would suggest the Gaunts Ghosts series. The Eisenhorn and Ravenor trilogies, followed by Pariah, and in that order. The Night Lords trilogy. And the Ciaphas Cain series.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-27-13, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormxlr View Post
Ive recently got into WH40k with Dark Angels army in Dark Vengeance set. Im more than familiar with 40k fluff/lore after reading countless wiki articles, playing video games and scouring the forums

Now I want to read a few good Wh40k Novels, short stories, just books in general.
However I have no idea where to start. I want to read something from 41st millennium before I go to read Horus Heresy novels and those I will probably just read in order.
What would be an amazing first novel that would really hook me up on 40k books?
Also any good Dark Angels novels?
Cheers
I think any of the omnibuses are really great for people just getting into reading 40K.
Blood Angels, Ciaphus Cain, Grey Knights, Iron Warriors, Soul Drinkers, Space Wolves, Ultramarines, Word Bearers, and some of the anthology ones such as The Best of Hammer and Bolter or The Space Marines Omnibus.
I recommend those because it is around 3 books(some include extra short stories and such) for +/- $15.
Which I think is a pretty good deal.
Though the newer ones are $17.50, though amazon/ebay/used bookstores and such will help to get it cheaper.
If you aren't too deadset on sticking with the Imperium of Man for reading pleasure, I would also recommend the Eldar Path series(Omnibus for that coming out soon too!)
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-27-13, 02:24 PM
Chaos God of Old Night

Lord of the Night's Flag is: United Kingdom

If it's Dark Angels that you are looking for then the two novels Angels of Darkness and Ravenwing by Gav Thorpe are definitely where you should start. Both great novels and more will be coming soon.

Other then that I would recommend things like the Ultramarines, Salamanders, Night Lords and Eisenhorn series for a newcomer.

LotN

https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...red-souls.html - The Kabal of Shattered Souls Project Log
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/...Book%20Reviews - Check out Talk Wargaming for reviews by Lord of the Night.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-27-13, 02:53 PM

I might suggest the Cain series. You kind of have to pace yourself a little with them, but the first short story is friggen hilarious. So maybe the first Cain book then something else.

The Horus Heresy series is also kind of a good place to start, setting the stage for a lot of the 40K stuff. There's even the first two parts of the origin story of the Dark Angels. The third part may well be coming soon now that the Heresy series is well into the actual heresy.

While they definitely lost steam as they went along the Soul Drinkers series covers a pretty wide expanse of the 40K lore. It covers a bit about how Space Marines are recruited and trained, etc. It has (Dark) Eldar, Necrons, some Space Marine fighting Space Marine.

Almost anything by Aaron Dembski-Bowden can be recommended sight unseen as well.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-27-13, 05:43 PM

Znoz's Flag is: Latvia

I started with Dan Abnett "Inquisitor" series - it mostly describes life of "mortals" in grim and dark future.
After than i picked William King "Space wolves" - helped me a lot with understanding of space marines and WH40k universe.

Can't say much about Horus Heresy books - i started them after reading like 20 "40k timed" books and still had some difficulties - different age, emperor, primarchs, heresy.

What? Boo is outraged! See his fury! It's small, so look close. Trust me, it's there.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-27-13, 06:56 PM

Kaspar Mayer's Flag is: USA

I started with the first three Horus Heresy books and loved them (of course I'm all about civil war type stories and the origins of stuff so naturally I would like them). If you like Space Wolves, read Space Wolves. If you like the Inquisition, read books about the Inquisition. There is no wrong way to read 40K books (well maybe if you read a series out of order). Find the factions/races/chapters that interest you. Find the authors that you like reading by trying a bunch out. I would just go to the Black Library website and search on dark angels and find one that interests you.

Rise, my sons, and take your wrath across the stars, in my name. In my memory. Rise, my Night Lords.

Ave Dominus Nox!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-28-13, 06:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathJester921 View Post
Don't touch anything by C.S. Goto. Ever.
I will make sure to burn the Heretic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel of Blood View Post
I would suggest the Gaunts Ghosts series. The Eisenhorn and Ravenor trilogies, followed by Pariah, and in that order. The Night Lords trilogy. And the Ciaphas Cain series.
I picked up Eisenhorn omnibus, and will def check out the rest after reading the ones I got so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Scion of Chemos View Post
I think any of the omnibuses are really great for people just getting into reading 40K.
Blood Angels, Ciaphus Cain, Grey Knights, Iron Warriors, Soul Drinkers, Space Wolves, Ultramarines, Word Bearers, and some of the anthology ones such as The Best of Hammer and Bolter or The Space Marines Omnibus.
I recommend those because it is around 3 books(some include extra short stories and such) for +/- $15.
Which I think is a pretty good deal.
Though the newer ones are $17.50, though amazon/ebay/used bookstores and such will help to get it cheaper.
If you aren't too deadset on sticking with the Imperium of Man for reading pleasure, I would also recommend the Eldar Path series(Omnibus for that coming out soon too!)
I am not really into Eldar, however after reading Imperium stuff I will probably try some Tau books, the whole Fire Warrior thing entices me. Also studying in China right now, I can pick up books for dirt cheap (in english) on taobao (chinese ebay).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of the Night View Post
If it's Dark Angels that you are looking for then the two novels Angels of Darkness and Ravenwing by Gav Thorpe are definitely where you should start. Both great novels and more will be coming soon.

Other then that I would recommend things like the Ultramarines, Salamanders, Night Lords and Eisenhorn series for a newcomer.
LotN
I had my eye on Ravenwing, but out of all Dark Angels fluff, Ravenwing really doesnt get to me. They are cool and all, but something about Dark Angel bikers just doesnt sit right with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaspar Mayer View Post
I started with the first three Horus Heresy books and loved them (of course I'm all about civil war type stories and the origins of stuff so naturally I would like them). If you like Space Wolves, read Space Wolves. If you like the Inquisition, read books about the Inquisition. There is no wrong way to read 40K books (well maybe if you read a series out of order). Find the factions/races/chapters that interest you. Find the authors that you like reading by trying a bunch out. I would just go to the Black Library website and search on dark angels and find one that interests you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Znoz View Post
I started with Dan Abnett "Inquisitor" series - it mostly describes life of "mortals" in grim and dark future.
After than i picked William King "Space wolves" - helped me a lot with understanding of space marines and WH40k universe.
Can't say much about Horus Heresy books - i started them after reading like 20 "40k timed" books and still had some difficulties - different age, emperor, primarchs, heresy.
Well everyone suggests more or less the same stuff, and from scouring the internet everyone loved Eisenhorn Omnibus, so I got that, aswell as Horus Rising, and Angels of Darkness. That should keep me busy for 4-5 weeks

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Black Library Fiction

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode