Best Aaron Dembski-Bowden Novel? - Page 5 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Black Library Fiction Here is where you can discuss your favourite Black Library publications and graphic novels. If it's published by Black Library it goes here.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-14-13, 09:12 PM
Member
Lupe's Flag is: Romania
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 80
Reputation: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gree View Post
I would say Void Stalker
Honestly? I thought it was the weakest of his novels, being too favorable to the Wolves in many parts.. It's not a knock against the author, but it's one of those few 40k novels by him that I didn't enjoy at all, especially with the retcons near the end of the book. It contained alot of cool stuff about the Grey Knights, but it also contained a bunch of stuff I disliked or disagreed with.
Really? What's so favorable to the Wolves about it?

The part where almost the entire chapter goes to war against roughly one company of Grey Knights - who aren't even that keen on fighting the Wolves in the first place? Or the fact that an 800 year old genetically engineered superhuman is better at planning a large scale guerilla war than the average Inquisitor? Or the fact that they narrowly avoid elimination simply because of the blinding awe that people in the 41st millenium experience when merely being around a living relic from the days their god walked among men?

Because from where I'm standing, the Wolves look more like they caught a lucky break, than anything else, really...
Lupe is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #42 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-14-13, 09:37 PM
Senior Member
 
Gree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 437
Reputation: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupe View Post
Really? What's so favorable to the Wolves about it?

The part where almost the entire chapter goes to war against roughly one company of Grey Knights - who aren't even that keen on fighting the Wolves in the first place? Or the fact that an 800 year old genetically engineered superhuman is better at planning a large scale guerilla war than the average Inquisitor? Or the fact that they narrowly avoid elimination simply because of the blinding awe that people in the 41st millenium experience when merely being around a living relic from the days their god walked among men?

Because from where I'm standing, the Wolves look more like they caught a lucky break, than anything else, really...
Urggh. If I had known that comment would have caused consternation I would have never have posted it.

Anyway, to answer your question, it very much portrays the noble Space Wolves pitted against the evil Inquisition and their duty-bound Grey Knight allies. You have a Grey Knight Grand Master portrayed as a rather ambitious and arrogant jerk who is then easily killed by Logan Grimnar in a single blow.

You basically have the Space Wolves kill a Grey Knight Grand Master, then kill an important Ordo Malleus Inquisitor before engaging the Inquisition in full scale warfare over Fenris before the Inquisition is forced to back off without really doing much of anything to the Wolves.

I have actually discussed that with the author before, and it very much wasn't his intention to have it one-sided in any particular way. It was the intention to have grey and grey morality. But that wasn't the impression I got from reading it. I very much walked away seeing this as favorable to the Space Wolves rather than the Grey Knights.

The above is merely my opinion and personal interpretation of course. Everybody is subject to their own look of course.

Last edited by Gree; 09-14-13 at 09:39 PM.
Gree is offline  
post #43 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-20-13, 01:02 PM
Senior Member
 
Anakwanar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 364
Reputation: 3
Default

Quote:
Anyway, to answer your question, it very much portrays the noble Space Wolves pitted against the evil Inquisition and their duty-bound Grey Knight allies. You have a Grey Knight Grand Master portrayed as a rather ambitious and arrogant jerk who is then easily killed by Logan Grimnar in a single blow.

You basically have the Space Wolves kill a Grey Knight Grand Master, then kill an important Ordo Malleus Inquisitor before engaging the Inquisition in full scale warfare over Fenris before the Inquisition is forced to back off without really doing much of anything to the Wolves.

I have actually discussed that with the author before, and it very much wasn't his intention to have it one-sided in any particular way. It was the intention to have grey and grey morality. But that wasn't the impression I got from reading it. I very much walked away seeing this as favorable to the Space Wolves rather than the Grey Knights.
My point exactly. I had asked Aaron - why this is the way it is, and he answered very simple - because In the moment of writing of that particular novel he feels this way - so he wrote it that way.
You don't like it. Ok - deal with it. He doesn't care.

I for example hate his description of attack by Ultramarine rag tag fleet on Conqueror, Fidelitas Lex and Trisagion.
Because - in every scenario, even if Trisagion is A BIG FETHING SHIP - he should have died too. Ultramarines had a very big advantage in number, classes of ships and firepower - that even this kind of ship - couldn't possible slog through. But as i wrote above - i must deal with it, because he doesn't care.
Anakwanar is offline  
 
post #44 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-20-13, 04:58 PM
Senior Member
 
Gree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 437
Reputation: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anakwanar View Post
My point exactly. I had asked Aaron - why this is the way it is, and he answered very simple - because In the moment of writing of that particular novel he feels this way - so he wrote it that way.
You don't like it. Ok - deal with it. He doesn't care.

I for example hate his description of attack by Ultramarine rag tag fleet on Conqueror, Fidelitas Lex and Trisagion.
Because - in every scenario, even if Trisagion is A BIG FETHING SHIP - he should have died too. Ultramarines had a very big advantage in number, classes of ships and firepower - that even this kind of ship - couldn't possible slog through. But as i wrote above - i must deal with it, because he doesn't care.
I wouldn't quite say he doesn't care. He's one of the few authors to actually talk with fans and clarify things. For that I have a great deal of respect for him and he stands as one of my favorite Black Library authors.
Gree is offline  
post #45 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-23-13, 09:36 AM
Senior Member
 
Anakwanar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 364
Reputation: 3
Default

Quote:
I wouldn't quite say he doesn't care. He's one of the few authors to actually talk with fans and clarify things. For that I have a great deal of respect for him and he stands as one of my favorite Black Library authors.
Yes. he one of the few very talkative BL authors - what i mean - he will not change what he planned - due to the fan wishes. For example - i know several hundred people who plead to him not to kill Argel Tal.
Anakwanar is offline  
Reply

  Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Black Library Fiction

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome