Scars - New serialized HH novel in twelve parts - Page 5 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Black Library Fiction Here is where you can discuss your favourite Black Library publications and graphic novels. If it's published by Black Library it goes here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 170 (permalink) Old 08-13-13, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paceyjg View Post
Vote with your wallet and don't get sucked in
This pretty much...don't let them get away with selling a novel for close to $36

Not even a nice hardback. A serialised eBook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 170 (permalink) Old 08-13-13, 08:16 AM

Well I finally got it downloaded and....

....only 27 pages. Is that right?

People are saying they've enjoyed the first chapters, plural. Are there supposed to be more? what I read was ok but if thats all you are getting each week then even 12 parts isn't going to be sufficient for a whole book.
post #43 of 170 (permalink) Old 08-13-13, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen74 View Post
Well I finally got it downloaded and....

....only 27 pages. Is that right?

People are saying they've enjoyed the first chapters, plural. Are there supposed to be more? what I read was ok but if thats all you are getting each week then even 12 parts isn't going to be sufficient for a whole book.
Pages in an ebook don't necessarily correspond to pages in the print version (unless you got a PDF). The publisher can (but usually doesn't) mark where a "print page" starts; if they don't, then the reader will arbitrarily pick the page change every X characters.

post #44 of 170 (permalink) Old 08-14-13, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen74 View Post
....only 27 pages. Is that right? what I read was ok but if thats all you are getting each week then even 12 parts isn't going to be sufficient for a whole book.
Assuming the average installment will be 27 pages long, 12 installments will add up to 324 pages. 324 eBook pages might equal a greater number of print pages.

I don't think Black Library will be skimping on the page count. If they charge $3 per installment, the entire thing will cost $36. It seems like they're just charging a huge amount for an average length novel.
post #45 of 170 (permalink) Old 08-14-13, 01:57 PM

Words_of_Truth's Flag is: United Kingdom

Just read the next part, it's starting to heat up and is even linking short story The Serpent Beneath.
post #46 of 170 (permalink) Old 08-15-13, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Words_of_Truth View Post
even linking short story The Serpent Beneath.

Just found these reviews. The general consensus seems to be that Wraight's writing is very good but that the installments are still rather overpriced:
http://www.examiner.com/review/sowin...sode-ii-review

http://www.fiftyshadesofgeek.org/2/p...-ej.html#intro

Last edited by MontytheMighty; 08-15-13 at 02:05 AM.
post #47 of 170 (permalink) Old 08-15-13, 02:00 PM

Words_of_Truth's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontytheMighty View Post

Just found these reviews. The general consensus seems to be that Wraight's writing is very good but that the installments are still rather overpriced:
http://www.examiner.com/review/sowin...sode-ii-review

http://www.fiftyshadesofgeek.org/2/p...-ej.html#intro
post #48 of 170 (permalink) Old 08-15-13, 08:21 PM

Something is telling me that if the White scars installment series is profitable to GW. I think in the future they will do that to other books. It seems like there are enough people that are buying I think.
post #49 of 170 (permalink) Old 08-16-13, 08:16 AM

Okay guys now i will give my thoughts about Scars - i have an ability to review this episodes from the point, that i was able to read earlier draft for 'this book' and limited edition novella 'Brotherhood of the Storms':

So here are the reasons, why i think that BL destroying an awesome novel.

1) I don't mind buying something interesting to read every week, but at my phone and notebook episode 2 has been only 15!!! pages long. Episode 1 - 20 pages. So right now its stands for 35 pages both in epub or mobi format. Which is much smaller, then any chapter, at any other previous Horus Heresy novel (and i have them all).

If all other episodes will have same page count as this two, then it would be the shortest HH novel in the serie.
I don't think Black Library will be skimping on the page count. If they charge $3 per installment, the entire thing will cost $36. It seems like they're just charging a huge amount for lesser then an average length novel.

2) Next problem based on the previous one. The story is rushed - due to the smaller page count. I was able to read nearly completed draft for first 2 chapters of the Scars earlier this year - and they were much better then this 2 episodes.
They cut off at least 15 pages from first 2 chapters Shiban Khan - at least 2 pages of text (his memories and much fuller thoughts about dead bodies) is missing;
Targutai Yesugei Nikea part was 8 pages longer (his full dialog with Ahriman);
Space Wolves fleet master and their unbelief of Horus betrayal - more vivid in at least 3 more pages
Why have they done that - by doing that they destroyed a logic chain of events and structure of the novel?

Anyway - that's the first HH novel that feels rushed (like something is going too quick, missing something at every page).
That all was cut off from this episodes :confused: I'm truly confused - does this mean - that hardback edition would be full, and we have ARC version here in this episodes?

3) Space shooty shooty would be coming in the nearest episodes , but now i'm worried about it - they could cut it off too. Also with no Dramatis Personae at the front reader who haven't read Brotherhood of the Storms would be for a real treat to his memory. And yes - in the earlier draft first episode was a Prologue, and episode 2 is the first chapter.

4) Episode stuff will continue anyway - it seems like there are enough people that are buying the episodes. For good or bad, we will see, but right now its more

Also i fully agree with Advanced review for episode 2 from Bellarius, - episode lacks a distinctive structure to make it feel like its own entity. Instead what we get feels more like fragments out of place. The reason for this - BL editor stuff cut off at least 15 pages from the normal, structured draft

Last edited by Anakwanar; 08-16-13 at 08:29 AM.
post #50 of 170 (permalink) Old 08-16-13, 09:03 AM

Really disappointed now and if that's how books are going to be released in the future then sadly I won't be buying any such books. It's a little under a 1 a page at the moment.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Black Library Fiction

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode