Scars - New serialized HH novel in twelve parts - Page 17 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Black Library Fiction Here is where you can discuss your favourite Black Library publications and graphic novels. If it's published by Black Library it goes here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #161 of 170 (permalink) Old 07-19-14, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckcrawford View Post
This bothers me so much. I really want to get this novel on paperback. Or at least a good price, however its always shipping that hits in. Because of my financial situation I'm afraid to bite the bullet and accept 10-16 bucks. I'm the type of person that starts to justify his purchases afterwards.
No good to you as an e-book ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #162 of 170 (permalink) Old 07-19-14, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F22Reject View Post
Finishing up the audio book myself while driving. Have a semi..curious question that perhaps you fine gentlemen could clear up. Contains spoilers if you haven't read the book, and i have no clue how to hide spoilers, feel free to enlighten me as well, so reader beware

So, Khagan teleports back to his ship to find everyone not really playing nice. Walks up the Hassik Noyan Khan and says something like, bro did i say you could raise your blade in my house? nobody lifts a weapon without my say. He then stabbed bro for lifting his blade and tosses him aside right? I got to thinking though, The Weather Maker Yeusegui translates into the Prospero system to find the legion just kinda..chillen. He then takes it upon himself to blast the Death Guard. No permission from the Khagan, he just does it.

Now, isn't that the same thing Hassik did? and yet Hassik got stuck for his troubles and the Weather Maker got a warm greeting. Any thoughts? I realize the depths of the difference in their actions, but the principle remains the same. Nobody said kill them DG kids.
My understanding of it was
Khagan was pissed that he had told his Legion to wait for his decision as to what side they were going to take yet Noyan and his groupies took action in his (the khagans) name. The lifting of the blade in the Khagans presence was just an excuse to slice and dice Noyan.

That was very different to Yeusegui who had determined the Death Guard were the enemy and were attempting to prevent an attack on the scars. He was protecting the legion from a (possible) imminent attack and he was doing it off his own back and not claiming he was acting for the khagan.

Had the Khagan decided to join mortarian, it could well have been Yeusegui getting the chop.
post #163 of 170 (permalink) Old 07-19-14, 11:12 PM
Craw-Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen74 View Post
No good to you as an e-book ?
I did that a couple times, but I felt really bad afterwords because if its a good book I will add it to my collection. Don't feel like getting double priced.

post #164 of 170 (permalink) Old 09-11-14, 04:31 AM

Amazing book! But left me wondering...

post #165 of 170 (permalink) Old 11-20-14, 12:33 PM

Sethis's Flag is: United Kingdom

So I'm aware that this is pretty old news, however I just got it in paperback and was HUGELY impressed.

I hadn't previously read any of his stuff, sticking mainly to the HH series after continuous disappointments from everyone except Abnett in the quality of the work being offered.

A lot of the writers seem to suffer from an inability to make a Legion have its own flavour. For example Fear to Tread and Descent of Angels had very little to distinguish the "Angels" as being unique in any way. Abnett is the king of this, managing to take the ultra-vanilla vanilla marines of vanillaness (Ultramarines, if you didn't pick that up) and give them the whole "Mark", Theoretical/Practical and worrying about their role as statesmen after the Crusade to make them unique, along with the Alpha Legion, Sons of Horus, Space Wolves etc etc.

Wraight does just as well in this novel, giving insight into a previously near-unknown Legion. He dwells on their relationship to the other legions, their unwillingness to change due to outsiders preconceptions of what they are/should be, and their philosophy of battle - laugh as you kill, speed, precision. He also rounds out the Khan fantastically - drawing him close to Magnus, showing us the unique way in which he deals with his legion, and how he interacts with the other Primarchs and his views on the Emperor.

Overall a fantastic book - certainly the most enjoyable non-Abnett offering since the series first started with Fulgrim and Mechanicus. Now I need to go read his other works and hope they're as good as this.

90% of people think they are above average.

Statistically Improbable. Psychologically Inevitable.
post #166 of 170 (permalink) Old 11-20-14, 10:00 PM
Heresy Online's Pet Furby

Tawa's Flag is: Scotland

Yup, after watching it get released in about 40,000 parts I thought "No, not happening".

I then picked up the paperback on Saturday. Yet to read it, as I've only just started Angel Exterminatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace of Ultramar View Post
I think Tawa is a temporal entity that exists outside of the hobby/modeling timeline. Essentially, he's the Heresy Online equivalent of a Time Lord... which is kinda hilarious and frightening all at the same time.
"God-Emperor? Calling him a god was how all this mess started."
post #167 of 170 (permalink) Old 11-21-14, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethis View Post
certainly the most enjoyable non-Abnett offering since the series first started with Fulgrim and Mechanicus.
Would you rate this higher than The First Heretic. I actually would out of my bias
post #168 of 170 (permalink) Old 11-21-14, 10:09 AM

Sethis's Flag is: United Kingdom

Difficult to say, it's been a long time since I read Heretic, and I never liked the Word Bearers to begin with.

90% of people think they are above average.

Statistically Improbable. Psychologically Inevitable.
post #169 of 170 (permalink) Old 11-21-14, 07:44 PM

Scars and First Heretic are very good - especially comparing to the last 3 HH novels
post #170 of 170 (permalink) Old 11-21-14, 08:44 PM
The Emperor Protects

Angel of Blood's Flag is: Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethis View Post
Difficult to say, it's been a long time since I read Heretic, and I never liked the Word Bearers to begin with.
This is a problem I have as well. I never liked the Word Bearers before The First Heretic, and despite ADB's brilliant writing and story, I still just don't like them. And that reason alone will always, sadly keep that novel out of my top list when contending with the likes of Legion, Prospero Burns and Scars.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Black Library Fiction

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode