Scars - New serialized HH novel in twelve parts - Page 11 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Black Library Fiction Here is where you can discuss your favourite Black Library publications and graphic novels. If it's published by Black Library it goes here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #101 of 170 (permalink) Old 10-18-13, 11:11 AM

The main problem of the Scars - that it was positioned as a novel about the famous Chondax naval battle between AL-WS-SW fleets. You know that lore describe all this event as a THREESIDE BIG NAVAL BATTLE.
But what have we got - a little brawl at Alaxxes via the eyes of the Bjorn, 1 episode confrontation at Chondax and that's it. WTF - WHERE ARE THE FUCK THE BIG battle?
In all else that's awesome novel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 170 (permalink) Old 10-18-13, 01:12 PM
Bane of Empires

Child-of-the-Emperor's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anakwanar View Post
The main problem of the Scars - that it was positioned as a novel about the famous Chondax naval battle between AL-WS-SW fleets. You know that lore describe all this event as a THREESIDE BIG NAVAL BATTLE.
But what have we got - a little brawl at Alaxxes via the eyes of the Bjorn, 1 episode confrontation at Chondax and that's it. WTF - WHERE ARE THE FUCK THE BIG battle?
In all else that's awesome novel
Actually, that was never the case - there never was a big three-way battle in the lore. The Collected Visions' version informs us that Horus despatched the Alpha Legion to prevent the Space Wolves and White Scars from linking up. The Space Wolves were engaged by the Alpha Legion but before the White Scars could aid them they received Dorn's order to return to Terra and reluctantly obeyed, leaving the Space Wolves to their fate. There never was a big battle involving those 3 Legions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cegorach View Post
I do love how we don't even need CotE to comment anymore, chances are he has already said something intelligent before that can be re-applied to the current situation.
Heresy's Background FAQ. (Fluff Project)
CotE Reviews: Prospero Burns (HH Review), Age of Darkness (HH Review).
post #103 of 170 (permalink) Old 10-18-13, 07:44 PM

Tempted to buy the series but too much price and will wait for the whole book but I am reading some of the spoilers which sounds very interesting.

Khan is probably one of the few primarchs that has not been fleshed out .

post #104 of 170 (permalink) Old 10-18-13, 09:59 PM

Count_the_Seven's Flag is: Scotland

kwak, I'd say mortarion is in that category too, though with a promise of some attention next year...
post #105 of 170 (permalink) Old 10-19-13, 02:00 PM
The Emperor Protects

Angel of Blood's Flag is: Wales

Hmmm, is the final episode going to be any bigger than the others, or at least the last one. Episode XI was quite a bit shorter than the previous ones.
post #106 of 170 (permalink) Old 10-21-13, 01:43 PM
Deathwing Commissar

Phoebus's Flag is: USA

About the only thing I haven't enjoyed about 'Scars' is the fact that the twelve episodes add up to triple the cost of a single eBook novel.

That having been said, kudos to Chris Wraight. 'Scars' has been a fun, captivating ride with some interesting characters and surprising twists. It's a solid read that I would recommend to any fan of the series without reservations.

As an aside, here's something I really enjoyed about Wraight's handling of the White Scars. Much like the Space Wolves and the Ultramarines, the V Legion are the product of a culture that is was originally almost entirely telegraphed from a real-world counterpart. Abnett succeeded in making the Space Wolves more interesting by making the Vlka Fenryka more than just Vikings in Space. Wraight has succeeded by doing the opposite. He has walked a very delicate balance - in my humble opinion - between staying true to the Mongol origins of the White Scars and not hitting you over the head with it. He uses just enough flavor for you to get the message and to feel like this Legion is different and exotic.

By contrast, the failure to do just that has long been one of my central complaints against most of the recent Salamanders fiction. For every interesting theme and concept Nick Kyme has introduced - and, to be fair, that's quite a lot - I feel like I have to dig through boring and repetitive cliches about the three or four things that matter so much to Nocturneans.

Wraight also uses that flavor to arrive at a logical state for that Legion within the Imperium: fighting hard and fast at the fringes and the frontier, waging their wars as they see fit and without outside control is the only state such a people could have existed in within the Imperium besides outright rebellion.

Anyways, good stuff. Can't wait for Episode XII. I hope Wraight is not forced to trim down an ending that's been building quite nicely. We not only have a Primarch duel to witness (?), but the consequences of a conspiracy within the V Legion to address. Good luck, Chris!
post #107 of 170 (permalink) Old 10-21-13, 01:53 PM
The Emperor Protects

See, that's why I'm hoping this last episode will be quite a big one page wise. As there seems to be a hell of a lot to conclude with only one episode left. The White Scars loyal to Horus, the duel with Mortarion, the conclusion of the duel, the Khan then getting back to the Legion and then deciding what to do next. Also Russ hasn't been mentioned for quite a few episodes, so I'm wondering if that story is even going to be concluded, are we going to see Russ sally out of the nebula, fight the Alpha Legion and receive help from the mysterious unexpected quarter? Will the Khan communicate with Russ at all and send his regrets for not going to him?

Again, seems to be a massive amount left to read, hoping Wraight isn't hamstrung by a short word count. Though regarding the Vlka Fenryka, I wouldn't mind seeing another novel about them to conclude their actions.
post #108 of 170 (permalink) Old 10-23-13, 01:28 PM
The Emperor Protects

Just finished the final chapter now. Really enjoyed it, the duel between the Khan and Mortarion is one of my favourite duels between the Primarchs that I've read so far, in particular I love how Wraight described the Khans style and ability. Though in choosing Mortarion as an adversary for him, he managed to make the inevitable stalemate more believable in picking the fastest and slowest of the Primarchs. I feel he ended the conflict within the Legion well also, it could have very easily ended in a shit manner, but it didn't.

Overall Scars, was a brilliant novel, one of the best in the series I would say. My main praise being directed at how he gave the V Legion their own flavour and personality. He didn't just go 'Mongels in space', but he didn't completely do away with that comparison either. I really liked the idea of the Legion not really caring about the Crusade at all, or the others, but just wanting to hunt, to chase to the edges of the galaxy, unrestrained and unburdened. The Khan was also characterised brilliantly, not just blindly following Horus, or the Emperor initially until he had all the facts.

I do still find it odd that the Space Wolves were even involved at all. Whilst I did like their parts and always like more of Russ and the Vlka Fenryka, they could have easily been made into another novel, or their own novel. Seeing as it wasn't wrapped up really in the end, they were chased into the nebula and then made ready to leave it. Again, like the segments dedicated to Russ and Bjorn, but think they probably should have gone into another novel. No great shakes, just hope I don't have to wait too long to see how their situation resolves.

But yes, very good job Mr Wraight, very good job indeed.
post #109 of 170 (permalink) Old 10-23-13, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Brother Lucian's Flag is: Denmark

Scars is one of the top Horus Heresy reads for sure, I enjoyed it from start to end. Quite refreshing and full of suprises.
post #110 of 170 (permalink) Old 10-24-13, 03:06 AM

Really want to read now but from the spoilers I find it hard to understand how Khan who is faster than Mortarion ended the duel in a draw. I mean in all mma or boxing..speed kills.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Black Library Fiction

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode