What to read first? - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Black Library Fiction Here is where you can discuss your favourite Black Library publications and graphic novels. If it's published by Black Library it goes here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-03-13, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicus View Post
Thanks for the input LotN!

My question would be what makes more sense to read first, in terms of getting the bigger picture. And seeing as there are so many Heresy books, is there anywhere to find a chronological order of them or the like? Just to make sure I get everything in a right timeline.
If you are buying the new hardcover HH books(which I personally am) then they have a roman numeral on the spine.
However in terms of actual chronological order, the HH series kind of jumps all over the place.
The first 3 are a solid trilogy, however the 4th book takes place shortly before, during, and a tad bit after the first 3, but from a different perspective. The 5th book takes place before, during, and well after the first 4 books also from a different perspective.
The 6th book takes place WELL before any of the others and that is as far as I got lol

I am reading them in order of publication, just because I don't want to jump around in the series, and I think they are publishing them in that order because they are meant to be read, roughly, in that order lol.

So it is really whatever you feel like my friend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-03-13, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khorne's Fist View Post
I agree totally. However, in the last couple of years I've managed to get 2 mates with no previous 40k/BL experience into the HH series, and they are loving it, so don't be afraid to jump in if the mood takes you. As Chemos says, it might be better to read them in order, and not just concentrating on the ones dealing with the future chaos legions. Most of them cross over between legions anyway.

Of the 40k books, Ahriman:Exile is one of my favourites at the moment, with the Iron Warriors books by McNeill also worth a look. The Night Lords trilogy by ADB are widely thought of as some of the best novels BL have done in some years. There's no shortage of material for you to sink your teeth into.
Yeah, I got a few friends into reading 40K, and they started with the HH series, and they got pretty into it.
I still think that the HH series would be *best* if read with a decent knowledge of the 40K universe.
Luckily, I read the Blood Angels series before I read Fulgrim, so getting to see Fabius now compared to Fabius in the HH era was mind blowing as he is one of my favourite characters. That understanding of characters made me enjoy both books(Blood Angels book #4 and Fulgrim) much more than I think I normally would have, if I didn't know who Fabius was/is/becomes.

But ultimately, read whatever you want whenever you want lol.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-03-13, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicus View Post
Hmm on GW shop I can only find the Void Stalker book from the Night Lords trilogy - Are the others out of print or?
The first 2 Night Lord books are out of print IIRC, though I have talked to BL and they will be making an omnibus eventually. My guess would be sometime next year or the year after.
I am waiting to read the series as I want that omnibus lol.

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-03-13, 09:05 AM
Chaos God of Old Night

Lord of the Night's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Scion of Chemos View Post
The first 2 Night Lord books are out of print IIRC, though I have talked to BL and they will be making an omnibus eventually. My guess would be sometime next year or the year after.

I am waiting to read the series as I want that omnibus lol.
Scion. Don't post multiple times, just edit your previous post to include your new thoughts.

I'll be getting that omnibus as well. I've already got the series in paperback but the omnibus will have the chapbook short story Shadow Knight, perhaps a new short story, and ADB mentioned a while back he wanted to include a lexicon of Nostraman words into the omnibus edition. So that'd be cool to read. Plus it'll have new cover art, and i'm hoping for a group art of First Claw.

LotN

https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...red-souls.html - The Kabal of Shattered Souls Project Log
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/...Book%20Reviews - Check out Talk Wargaming for reviews by Lord of the Night.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-03-13, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of the Night View Post
Scion. Don't post multiple times, just edit your previous post to include your new thoughts.

I'll be getting that omnibus as well. I've already got the series in paperback but the omnibus will have the chapbook short story Shadow Knight, perhaps a new short story, and ADB mentioned a while back he wanted to include a lexicon of Nostraman words into the omnibus edition. So that'd be cool to read. Plus it'll have new cover art, and i'm hoping for a group art of First Claw.

LotN
Sorry about that, I am pretty new to forum posting and whatnot, so I will work on that lol.

I was also hoping that they would have a prose version of the audio drama "Throne of Lies" was it?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Black Library Fiction

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode