Too much HH - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Black Library Fiction Here is where you can discuss your favourite Black Library publications and graphic novels. If it's published by Black Library it goes here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-31-13, 01:59 AM Thread Starter
visit roleplay threads!

unxpekted22's Flag is: USA

Default Too much HH

I've read nothing but seven horus heresy novels in the last couple of months. my intention was to just keep reading straight through beginning to end and finally get caught up.

Just wondering if any of you have experienced this numbness feeling while reading a lot of them in a short amount of time. I want to get the next one, but I just know its going to b full of more unimaginable things done by unimaginable beings on unimaginable scales lol. I just, my brain can only handle so much of that. Everything is so extreme all the time, like every time a character is angry its like a hatred no one has ever felt before even though the last character's anger was described the same way. Too epic of an epic, maybe.

Of course I have just read straight through probably the biggest ones I think, those being the first five to be released so the horus part and the isstvaan system. Is descent of angels any more....relaxed? or is there a good one to jump to in the series that is maybe a bit more smaller scale.

I have already read legion, first heretic, betrayer, and know no fear as well.

You can never be prepared for the unexpected

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-31-13, 02:20 AM
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite

Jacobite's Flag is: New Zealand

I find this with most books written in the same world tb, not necessarily the epicness you describe but the "facets" of the world. After awhile it just gets too much of the same thing, even with different authors at the helm they are all (or should be) pushing for a similar tone. Descent of Angels is very different but it's still in the same sort of world (I didn't really enjoy it, it seemed a bit rudderless tbh, not badly written, I know a lot of people hate the book but it didn't really have much drive to it).

It's very easy to get caught reading only BL books, take a break, read some non WFB fantasy rather than sci-fi. That's what I try to do, alternate between the two, keeps me from getting bored. That's my advice anyway.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-31-13, 03:40 AM

I had the same basic problem reading the Cain omnibus. I love the Cain books, they're hilarious, but you kind of have to pace yourself on them or you see a lot of the same basic patterns repeating. There's only so many ways to describe how Jourgan smells and has a bunch of skin diseases.

I understand the desire to kind of "binge read" because I do it myself. If I start in on some series of books I tend to want to read them all from start to finish, no other books interrupting. In this case, I think you're going to probably want to take a break. Read some 40K or fantasy stuff if you're into that. Go outside WH completely. If you are into StarCraft, McNeil did a pretty good job of creating a book that is largely a prequel to the first game called I, Mengsk. As I recall, it stays largely focused instead of bouncing around all over the place like much of his HH/40K work does and doesn't end 2-3 pages/paragraphs after some major battle. Might be a good place to start if you need to kind of wean yourself off WH a bit.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-31-13, 05:40 AM
sadLor's Flag is: Canada

Over a 3 month period, I read the first 16 HH books (except for Descent and Fallen). Crazy burned out...Since then, I haven't tried to read 2 HH books in a row. For me, binge reading just ruins the details of the books for me. I pay less attention and I appreciate the different writing styles of the authors less. I've since reread every one of those 16 books just so I can truly enjoy the content.

There's so much to read out there (outside of BL) so it's not a big deal. Currently reading Sanderon's Way of Kings...good read.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-31-13, 12:28 PM

Paceyjg's Flag is: England

I find if you break them up with some 40K then the HH is always more enjoyable.

Whilst I am always reading a book I never actually tend to 'binge' on one series as it will spoil the effect.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-31-13, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unxpekted22 View Post
I've read nothing but seven horus heresy novels in the last couple of months. my intention was to just keep reading straight through beginning to end and finally get caught up.

Just wondering if any of you have experienced this numbness feeling while reading a lot of them in a short amount of time. I want to get the next one, but I just know its going to b full of more unimaginable things done by unimaginable beings on unimaginable scales lol. I just, my brain can only handle so much of that. Everything is so extreme all the time, like every time a character is angry its like a hatred no one has ever felt before even though the last character's anger was described the same way. Too epic of an epic, maybe.

Of course I have just read straight through probably the biggest ones I think, those being the first five to be released so the horus part and the isstvaan system. Is descent of angels any more....relaxed? or is there a good one to jump to in the series that is maybe a bit more smaller scale.

I have already read legion, first heretic, betrayer, and know no fear as well.
I have a rule that I don't read more than 3 BL books in a row(the exception being if there are 2 omnibuses out such as Soul Drinkers or Space Wolves)
I usually read a few BL books, then switch to a series of manga, and then move on to either more manga, a non-BL book, or a BL book lol.
That keeps me from getting bored, though I really hate breaking up series, so I hope I can handle reading all of the HH books to date soon 1-26 + LE stuff lol
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-31-13, 05:51 PM

Sequere_me_in_Tenebras's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Scion of Chemos View Post
I have a rule that I don't read more than 3 BL books in a row(the exception being if there are 2 omnibuses out such as Soul Drinkers or Space Wolves)
Exactly the same as me Scion. I find if I read beyond 3 books I get in that mindset where I'm not enjoying the books as much. I tend to break it up with historical fiction, fantasy, science fiction and graphic novels. Not to mention the many academic books during term time... the fun!

Current PhD student at Exeter University - "For the Glory - The Development of Battlefield tactics throughout the Ancient World."

Moments that amused me; Sevatar Prince of Crows

(When running into Alastor Rushal "The Raven" on the Invincible Reason)
"You won't believe how I got here."

(When told that a Commodore has survived an ambush and is now the highest ranking survivor.)
"That makes him the new fleet admiral. Offer him my insincere congratulations on a rank he earned purely by being the last naval officer standing. But what's the bad news?"
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-01-13, 02:25 PM

Paceyjg's Flag is: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Scion of Chemos View Post
What happens if you break that rule
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-03-13, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paceyjg View Post
What happens if you break that rule
Then I must really be enjoying the 40K/HH/ToL/WHFB books a great deal, and I am not losing anything by reading it then. So if I break it, I make sure I am getting 100% enjoyment out of the book, or I put it down and save it for later.

It also helps that I spend a shit ton of money on books every time I get paid, and I always have a few dozen books to read, so I always have my options open.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-03-13, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequere_me_in_Tenebras View Post
Exactly the same as me Scion. I find if I read beyond 3 books I get in that mindset where I'm not enjoying the books as much. I tend to break it up with historical fiction, fantasy, science fiction and graphic novels. Not to mention the many academic books during term time... the fun!
I'll be in the same boat man, I start school in January I believe.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Black Library Fiction

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode