Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Rate What You Read.

55K views 340 replies 77 participants last post by  Paceyjg 
#1 ·
I was thinking that a thread where people could just post a score out of 10 for the latest BL novel they've read might be a good idea. It's not a review thread, we have them already, it could just serve as a quick reference guide for people looking at making their next BL purchase. To that end, I'll start.

The Siege of Castellax-7/10

#4 ·
Angel Exterminatus - 8.5/10

#6 ·
I don't really like to apply rating systems to novels, I just can't sum up a novel with a number out of 10 or a grade. Dunno why. But just for the record..

Fear to Tread: U or 0.00000000000000000001/Googolplex. Or failing that, a complete abortion of a novel in every singular way possible, making me and my perception of humanity as a whole feel a little more dumb and unenlightened in a truly uninspiring and bland way, to the point where I would willingly shave off a decade or so of a my life, just to get that day or so back that it took me to read it, and then spend my entire monetary worth to find a way to erase the memory of the novel from my mind and set up an organisation dedicated to finding every single last copy of the novel in existence and burning it, followed by a virus to delete every eBook file. Fuck you Fear to Tread.

#8 ·
Not quite finished with it, but only a couple chapters left. So barring something to make it really terrible within those last few pages...

Deathwatch: 8/10

It kind of dragged a bit in the first two acts, but despite that it wasn't torture to read like the first Bastion Wars book was. The Deathwatch training bits helped salvage a lot of it. If it hadn't spent so much time setting up events for the third act, I would have easily given it an 8.5 or 9.

#11 ·

Redemption Corps. About a 7.1/10 or so, would have been higher if Sanders hadn't chosen to do those annoying flashfowards that screwed up the flow of the story later.

LotN

#21 ·
That bad huh?

What do you think of Nick Kyme's work in the past?

#15 ·
(Read two in the last 48 hours)

The Emperor's Gift: 9/10 would thoroughly recommend. (If nothing else, just for the bits where Bjorn re-inacts Monty Python's impression of God in Monty Python and the Holy Grail)

Ahriman: Exile: 8/10 not as good as the above but still a good read. Enjoyed Ahriman's character arc.

#20 ·
I hate scored reviewed - sod it, I'll join in the fun;

Nagash the Sorcerer 3/5
Nagash the Unbroken 2/5
Nagash Immortal 2/5

#37 · (Edited)
Flesh of Cretacia, 2/10.
Book about nothing, written for sleepwalkers. They found a planet - hurray.

Scorched Earth, 1/10
Exactly for the same reasons Nineswords has told you

Vulcan Lives! 5/10
Meh! Hello Heracles

Priests of Mars - Lord of Mars - 9/10 - 8/10
Awesome novels, and very unwarhammeristic in it. Joy to read - feelings like, when you first time read Eisenhorn trilogy =) So, strangely Graham McNeil could write superb stuff if he wants it. And i began to worry after Angel Exterminatus.

City of the Damned - 7/10
Delightful story, with great timespan stuff, some superb characters, and some not so well written. But the main problem of this novel - if you compare it to Road of Skulls or Zombieslayer, you will understand - that David Guymer writing style is very hard to cope with.

Scars: - 9/10
7 episodes into it - and yes - one of the best HH to date. Last episode flashback about the meeting with Morti, that's was amazing:laugh: And yes - Russ is a pussy :laugh:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.