Rate What You Read. - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Black Library Fiction Here is where you can discuss your favourite Black Library publications and graphic novels. If it's published by Black Library it goes here.

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 324 (permalink) Old 07-29-13, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
Dazed and confused.

Khorne's Fist's Flag is: Ireland

Default Rate What You Read.

I was thinking that a thread where people could just post a score out of 10 for the latest BL novel they've read might be a good idea. It's not a review thread, we have them already, it could just serve as a quick reference guide for people looking at making their next BL purchase. To that end, I'll start.

The Siege of Castellax-7/10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 324 (permalink) Old 07-29-13, 04:47 PM

March of Time's Flag is: Great Britain

Blighted Empire - 8/10
post #3 of 324 (permalink) Old 07-29-13, 06:51 PM

Znoz's Flag is: Latvia

Blood of Asaheim - 8
(as wolf's fanboy :3)

What? Boo is outraged! See his fury! It's small, so look close. Trust me, it's there.

post #4 of 324 (permalink) Old 07-29-13, 07:06 PM

Location: In a cell for revealing sensitive information regarding the Inquisition

Angel Exterminatus - 8.5/10

My contribution to the Renegades saga. Check it out

My growing IIIrd legion stuff:

17th Millenial (Homebrew Fluff) - "Children of the Emperor, death to his foes!" (Project Log)

Also my 30k tacticas, for those of you interested:

Crusade Army List tactica - Individual Legion tactica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel of Blood View Post
And for two fucking grand, I could buy enough rum and hookers to 'artistically' recreate the better part of Pirates of the Caribbean.
post #5 of 324 (permalink) Old 07-29-13, 07:39 PM

Ahriman exile 8/10
post #6 of 324 (permalink) Old 07-29-13, 08:52 PM
The Emperor Protects

Angel of Blood's Flag is: Wales

I don't really like to apply rating systems to novels, I just can't sum up a novel with a number out of 10 or a grade. Dunno why. But just for the record..

Fear to Tread: U or 0.00000000000000000001/Googolplex. Or failing that, a complete abortion of a novel in every singular way possible, making me and my perception of humanity as a whole feel a little more dumb and unenlightened in a truly uninspiring and bland way, to the point where I would willingly shave off a decade or so of a my life, just to get that day or so back that it took me to read it, and then spend my entire monetary worth to find a way to erase the memory of the novel from my mind and set up an organisation dedicated to finding every single last copy of the novel in existence and burning it, followed by a virus to delete every eBook file. Fuck you Fear to Tread.
post #7 of 324 (permalink) Old 07-29-13, 09:34 PM

Worldkiller's Flag is: USA

Quote:
I don't really like to apply rating systems to novels, I just can't sum up a novel with a number out of 10 or a grade. Dunno why. But just for the record..

Fear to Tread: U or 0.00000000000000000001/Googolplex. Or failing that, a complete abortion of a novel in every singular way possible, making me and my perception of humanity as a whole feel a little more dumb and unenlightened in a truly uninspiring and bland way, to the point where I would willingly shave off a decade or so of a my life, just to get that day or so back that it took me to read it, and then spend my entire monetary worth to find a way to erase the memory of the novel from my mind and set up an organisation dedicated to finding every single last copy of the novel in existence and burning it, followed by a virus to delete every eBook file. Fuck you Fear to Tread.
No one forced you to read it.
Edit: Betrayer: 8.5

Finished: Too Much Love Will Kill You (working title), an original fiction novel. Working on: Second draft of Too Much Love, and the first draft of A Winter's Tale (working title).
post #8 of 324 (permalink) Old 07-30-13, 01:27 AM

Not quite finished with it, but only a couple chapters left. So barring something to make it really terrible within those last few pages...

Deathwatch: 8/10

It kind of dragged a bit in the first two acts, but despite that it wasn't torture to read like the first Bastion Wars book was. The Deathwatch training bits helped salvage a lot of it. If it hadn't spent so much time setting up events for the third act, I would have easily given it an 8.5 or 9.
post #9 of 324 (permalink) Old 07-30-13, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Fear to Tread: U or 0.00000000000000000001/Googolplex. Or failing that, a complete abortion of a novel in every singular way possible
^ A man after my own heart

Pariah 8.5/10
Soul Hunter 7.5/10
Blood Reaver 7.5/10

Pariah has me hooked. I'm really forward to the sequel. The Astartes presence if very well-handled IMO:

The description of the enormous Church building was also very memorable. Queen Mab has a steampunk/Victorian London feel to it. Big fan of Dan's world-building as always.

I've read through parts of the Night Lords series before at the book store but this is my first time tackling them in their entirety. They're good but not quite as good as some ppl made them out to be. I think this might be a case of my expectations raised too high by all these glowing reviews. I'm having a hard time getting through Void Stalker. Aaron definitely maintains the quality of prose throughout the series...I think it might just be a case of me not really being a fan of the Night Lords.
post #10 of 324 (permalink) Old 07-30-13, 04:44 AM

Malus Darkblade's Flag is: Kuwait

I haven't read Pariah in a while.

Was there really an AL Astartes in it? What did he do?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Black Library Fiction

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode