Rate What You Read. - Page 21 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Black Library Fiction Here is where you can discuss your favourite Black Library publications and graphic novels. If it's published by Black Library it goes here.

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #201 of 337 (permalink) Old 08-30-15, 04:02 AM

Location: In a cell for revealing sensitive information regarding the Inquisition

Shadows of Treachery = 7/10

Much more enjoyable than I thought it would be as an anthology. To break it down by novella:

Crimson Fist = 7/10 (Alexis Polux came across as a bit too whiny and insecure of himself, but it was an enjoyable read and I was genuinely willing the Imperial Fists to say "hang it" to orders and kill Perturabo. Way to go French-y.)

The Dark King = 7/10 (Short, perhaps too short for my taste, but some good dialogue and insights)

The Lighting Tower = 6/10 (Again a bit too short and another story where the Imperial Fists, well Dorn, come across as painfully insecure)

The Kaban Project = 5/10 (Not great. The main character was a bit of a whiney ponce and I was kind of glad by the time he died. The Kaban machine was kinda cool though, but waxing on fully functional AI have been done better elsewhere)

Raven's Flight = 4/10 (Again, not great. I'm trying to not slate it too much because of what followed it, but in this the Alpha Legion Face/Off, bland characters and poor plot points are largely absent. Probably because it's so short, thankfully)

Death of a Silversmith = 6/10 (I would give this a lower mark because the character is a vaguely annoying artsy ponce, but they're a remembrancer so that actually how they're supposed to be. Not a riveting story, but the last line earns it some points back in cool-ness)

Prince of Crows = 9/10 (Bearing in mind I bought this at a half price book store for 3, I would have bought it just for this story. Hell, I'd probably have considered paying close to RRP for this story. Can the next collection of Novellas, because there will be one, just all be written by A D-B. Dude writes the best characters. Seriously, some of Sevatar's dry humor is the best)

All in all, it's worth getting. Especially if you can get it at the price I did!

My contribution to the Renegades saga. Check it out

My growing IIIrd legion stuff:

17th Millenial (Homebrew Fluff) - "Children of the Emperor, death to his foes!" (Project Log)

Also my 30k tacticas, for those of you interested:

Crusade Army List tactica - Individual Legion tactica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel of Blood View Post
And for two fucking grand, I could buy enough rum and hookers to 'artistically' recreate the better part of Pirates of the Caribbean.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #202 of 337 (permalink) Old 09-02-15, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
Dazed and confused.

Khorne's Fist's Flag is: Ireland

Asurmen: Hand of Asuryan, 8/10.

Not usually a fan of Thorpe's, but I enjoyed this one. The phoenix lords are about the only bit of Eldar fluff that interests me. It definitely gave Asurmen more character than you'd think a ghost-filled suit of armour would have, and you get to see his origins during the Fall of the Eldar. Interesting stuff.
post #203 of 337 (permalink) Old 10-18-15, 09:50 PM

Paceyjg's Flag is: England

Asurmen Hand of Asuryan - 7/10

post #204 of 337 (permalink) Old 10-19-15, 06:51 PM

Nemesis - 8/10. I'm clearly in the minority here, but I love detective science fiction.
Hunt for Voldorius - 2/10. I've read 21 BL titles (14 HH, Eisenhorn trilogy, Deathwatch, and the first three Space Marine Battles) and this was by far the worst one I've read
post #205 of 337 (permalink) Old 10-20-15, 06:58 AM

Scars - 8/10
Vengeful Spirit - 4/10
The Wolf King - 9/10
post #206 of 337 (permalink) Old 10-21-15, 12:43 AM

I love detective sci-fi...but I could not bring myself to finish Nemesis.

Recently re-read Horus Rising. If average HH clunker is a 5...this would be an 8 or a 9, leaning towards a 9
post #207 of 337 (permalink) Old 11-18-15, 01:19 PM

Stormcaller - 5/10
post #208 of 337 (permalink) Old 11-18-15, 07:15 PM

So I finished know no fear. I am not a fan of the book to be honest. it felt rushed and a bit jumpy, the ending was neat but that is about it.
6/10
post #209 of 337 (permalink) Old 12-03-15, 04:41 PM

Prospero Burns 9/10.

It was slow, and the title is deceiving. I thinks it's more about the pre-heresy space wolves than the fall of prospero, but it's epic and awesome. I love "the thirteen warrior feel".

Armageddon by ADB. 8/10.

Good writing, and ADB come out of his comfort zone, a little at least. Still a good read.

Hereticus. 5/10

A strange case, I've just have a hard time to get in this one, yet strangely I liked the other two well enough to give them a 7,5/10.

Don't shoot me, heretic ! I speak High Gothick and english isn't my first language !

Check out my space marine story if you dare :

https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=187466
post #210 of 337 (permalink) Old 01-03-16, 12:04 PM

Legacies of Betrayal - 6/10

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Black Library Fiction

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode