Rate What You Read. - Page 10 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Black Library Fiction Here is where you can discuss your favourite Black Library publications and graphic novels. If it's published by Black Library it goes here.

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #91 of 331 (permalink) Old 04-12-14, 09:41 PM

Finished unremembered empire, I loved the story and everything about Curze was awesome. My only gripe was the compleat neglect of sevatar and the atrementar in the dark angels ship. I do not think that curze would of left them for they would of been a weapon he could use. But overall enjoyed the story. Ill give it a
8/10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 331 (permalink) Old 04-26-14, 11:06 AM

Paceyjg's Flag is: England

Blood of Asaheim - 8/10
post #93 of 331 (permalink) Old 05-09-14, 10:57 AM

evanswolves's Flag is: England

The First Heretic 9/10 LOVED it! Made me pick up the Aurelian novella the following day from Games Workshop here in Wolverhampton

post #94 of 331 (permalink) Old 05-11-14, 05:58 PM

Paceyjg's Flag is: England

Path of the Archon 9/10
post #95 of 331 (permalink) Old 05-11-14, 06:53 PM

evanswolves's Flag is: England

Prospero Burns 8/10
post #96 of 331 (permalink) Old 05-14-14, 06:35 PM

LokiDeathclaw's Flag is: United Kingdom

Unremembered Empire 8/10

Inheritance 5/10

Dominion 4/10

Loki Deathclaw's Great Company-https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/showthread.php?t=126454

High Elves Plog- Caledor Warhost-https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=154490
post #97 of 331 (permalink) Old 05-14-14, 07:09 PM

March of Time's Flag is: Great Britain

Vengeful Spirit 8.5/10
post #98 of 331 (permalink) Old 05-14-14, 07:22 PM
Great Unclean One

Svartmetall's Flag is: Wales

Unremembered Empire - 8.5/10 Managing to fit so many disparate elements together and make them not only work but actually propel things along was a major achievement; this could have been a godawful mess but instead it was a very compelling read. Curze is magnificently vicious and deranged, and once again it's demonstrated that the better BL authors can manage to make Roboute 'Interesting' Guilliman an actually very readable character in a book.

Vengeful Spirit - 3/10 A total mess of pacing and characterisation; why does Mortarion - who if you remember has been 100% Mr. Do Not Trust The Witch all the way through the series - just suddenly turn around and go "I'm killing my own Deathshroud for magic! LOLZ!!"...? It's bollocks, about as convincing as Hayden Christensen's "DURR now I think the Jedi are evil...just...er...because" in 'Revenge Of The Sith' and is an unbearably jarring and character-breaking note. And McNeill still can't stop himself from quoting metal band lyrics...not what you'd expect of a professional author; at his best he can do things like the portrayal of Magnus in 'A Thousand Sons', which was genuinely very good indeed, but this is nothing like his best.

...and I've just re-read The First Heretic - 10/10 A bona fide masterpiece IMHO; managing to make Lorgar sympathetic was an almost impossible task but ADB carries it off. Argel Tal is a superb flawed hero, and the moment when the Emperor single-handedly lays the smack down on an entire legion is just so cinematic and epic it's just a huge geekgasm. My personal favourite from the entire cycle, still.

The ever-growing horde of Death Guard: Pandemic
Nurgle Daemons army: Angels of Disease
Death Guard fiction: 'Incursion'
Nurgle 101 Tutorial

THE IMPERIUM TONIGHT #1, #2, #3
post #99 of 331 (permalink) Old 05-15-14, 12:23 AM
Entropy Fetishist

Mossy Toes's Flag is: USA

My BL reading so far this year:

The Unremembered Empire - 7/10. Decent. Felt that the gratuitous Primarch slapfights were wholly unnecessary, and that Curze was forced to be depicted so powerful that he made all the loyalists look bumbling and helpless. More juicy Perpetual details, but quite a bit of squandered potential: Alpha Legion plots, Word Bearers teleporting in for bloody rampages, Perpetuals working behind the scenes... these could have made for a compelling convergence of schemes, but the Primarchs had to steal the show and leave each sub-plot a few scenes to resolve themselves. Some good characters and gets into the heads of Guilliman and such well, but could have been markedly better.

Ahriman: Exile - 8.5/10. An intimate portrayal of a ragged Ahriman on the run that in no way lessens how awesome and potent of a character that this, one of the most seductively cool special characters in the game, can be seen. Almost a Dresden Files book set in the 40k universe.

Atlas Infernal - 8/10. Ah, Czevak, you poor, damned fool. This is a book where the author took all the coolest things about 40k and shook them up in a big jar of Eye of Terror and spilled the result out on the table. The first two chapters have Death Korps of Krieg, an immortal cannibal death-cult assassin Living Saint, Deathwatch, inquisitorial intrigue, Harlequins, a Relictors Techmarine, a daemonhost, a sultry Rogue Trader, the Eye of Terror, Salvar Chem Dogs... and more.

Angel Exterminatus - 6.5. An excellent insight into the very sympathetic Perturabo. Except, uh, when he's in killing rages. The whole "copy/paste cast from Storm of Iron to make the 40k univers seem tiny" thing is depressing and distressing, as is the fact that both Iron Warriors and Emperor's Children are indistinguishable from their modern 40k counterparts. Also "hyper-competent loyalist stragglers make evil Primarchs look like fools" is also getting a bit tiresome. Lots of little things about it irritate me, but to the book's credit, its core is strong enough to bear through and act as a serviceable addition to the series.

CSM Plog, Tactica

What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator! Imperator!

Last edited by Mossy Toes; 05-15-14 at 12:27 AM.
post #100 of 331 (permalink) Old 05-15-14, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossy Toes View Post
The Unremembered Empire - 7/10. Decent. Felt that the gratuitous Primarch slapfights were wholly unnecessary, and that Curze was forced to be depicted so powerful that he made all the loyalists look bumbling and helpless.
Can't disagree there...especially when Bobby is being hospitalised by 10 tacticals and Vulkan is literally reduced to being Curze's punching bag, except Curze punches with lightning claws

I'd still give the book a slightly higher score though...7.5 or 8 of 10 as Abnett's prose is still leagues above that of Kyme, Swallow, McNeill or Thorpe. I blazed through UE, whereas I couldn't finish Angel Exterminatus, Deliverance Lost, Vulkan Lives, or Fear to Tread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Black Library Fiction

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode