Vulkan Lives *Spoilers* (this does not sound good) - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Black Library Fiction Here is where you can discuss your favourite Black Library publications and graphic novels. If it's published by Black Library it goes here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 93 (permalink) Old 07-10-13, 08:11 AM Thread Starter

Default Vulkan Lives *Spoilers* (this does not sound good)

Guys...I'm gonna be pretty annoyed if

Oh dear me...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 93 (permalink) Old 07-10-13, 09:28 AM
Bane of Empires

Child-of-the-Emperor's Flag is: United Kingdom

As if the entire premise of a Primarch being trapped in a giant maze during the most devastating civil war in human history wasn't bad enough...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cegorach View Post
I do love how we don't even need CotE to comment anymore, chances are he has already said something intelligent before that can be re-applied to the current situation.
Heresy's Background FAQ. (Fluff Project)
CotE Reviews: Prospero Burns (HH Review), Age of Darkness (HH Review).
post #3 of 93 (permalink) Old 07-10-13, 11:04 AM
Chaos God of Old Night

Lord of the Night's Flag is: United Kingdom

Ok what the hell?? Who wrote this? Because whoever did clearly thinks that the Black Library writers are idiots. Do they really think that if they didn't have some kind of plan for those spoilers that they would have allowed it to be added in at all? Just because Nick Kyme is an editor doesn't mean he can get away with it, another editor would have told him no if they didn't think it was a good idea that can lead to somewhere interesting.

I think that is the key problem with how people view the Heresy series. We know how it ends and enough key events that we can piece together a relatively accurate timeline of what happened, but enough blank spots exist to have a lot of information added in. I'd estimate that without the Heresy series we are actually aware of a little less than 50% of events in the Heresy. But people don't like a lot of the new stuff that has been added because they can't see how this new stuff will lead to the ending that we all know is coming, and because they can't figure it out they assume that the Black Library authors are just making it up as they go along rather than thinking that perhaps the guys writing this have an endgame in mind and are aware of things that I am not, as a benefit of being in the High Lords meetings that we hear about but never get to learn what goes on in them.

When it comes to the Heresy I maintain two rules. I expect to have my expectations turnd on their heads. And I trust that the authors know what they are doing and that everything, including what those spoilers have told us, has a purpose and leads to the finale.

As for the spoilers themselves, interesting. I can't wait to read the book, i'll withhold my full opinion until then but for now that does sound very interesting and definitely a game-changer, but I do not think any retcons are coming. The authors are better than that.

LotN

https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...red-souls.html - The Kabal of Shattered Souls Project Log
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/...Book%20Reviews - Check out Talk Wargaming for reviews by Lord of the Night.

post #4 of 93 (permalink) Old 07-10-13, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Lord of the Night -
As for the spoilers themselves, interesting. I can't wait to read the book, i'll withhold my full opinion until then but for now that does sound very interesting and definitely a game-changer, but I do not think any retcons are coming. The authors are better than that.
Ehem, Lordi you are for a biggest disappointment of your life about game-changer thingy. No, Nick Kyme is not 'better than that'. What i want to know - WHO and WHY, has given him HH to write.
I dont know whose artifacts salamanders are searching for at W40K, due to the latest events in Vulkan Lives.
post #5 of 93 (permalink) Old 07-10-13, 12:16 PM

kickboxerdog's Flag is: England

personally i think this is just the start to the bigger picture when it comes to vulkan and whats happening to him.
post #6 of 93 (permalink) Old 07-10-13, 12:47 PM
bobss's Flag is: England

I'll wait for a few more reviews before formulating a proto-opinion, but...

... it seems like another original idea that is pretty miss - be it an integral issue or a matter of execution. At least the Cabal/Shadow Crusade/Imperium Secundus storylines have been top notch.

We'll see. I might get Brotherhood of the Storm with what remains of my Heresy budget.
post #7 of 93 (permalink) Old 07-10-13, 01:56 PM
Chaos God of Old Night

Lord of the Night's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anakwanar View Post
Ehem, LotN you are for the biggest disappointment of your life about that game-changer thingy. No, Nick Kyme is not 'better than that'. What I want to know - WHO and WHY, has given him HH to write.
Even if I am disappointed it will definitely not be the biggest disappointment of my life, that goes to the time I wasted reading half the Sword of Truth series. And as i've said repeatedly elsewhere I like Nick Kyme, I liked Fall of Damnos quite a bit and I really enjoyed the Tome of Fire trilogy. So unlike others just because Kyme wrote this novel doesn't mean I will automatically hate it.

LotN

https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...red-souls.html - The Kabal of Shattered Souls Project Log
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/...Book%20Reviews - Check out Talk Wargaming for reviews by Lord of the Night.
post #8 of 93 (permalink) Old 07-11-13, 03:11 AM

Wusword77's Flag is: USA

I'd buy into this, except that the SM codex states Vulkan vanished 7000 and more years ago.

And there is actually 0 point in saying that if they meant he vanished 10000 years ago.
post #9 of 93 (permalink) Old 07-11-13, 09:48 AM
Bane of Empires

Child-of-the-Emperor's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of the Night View Post
But people don't like a lot of the new stuff that has been added because they can't see how this new stuff will lead to the ending that we all know is coming, and because they can't figure it out they assume that the Black Library authors are just making it up as they go along rather than thinking that perhaps the guys writing this have an endgame in mind and are aware of things that I am not, as a benefit of being in the High Lords meetings that we hear about but never get to learn what goes on in them.
That is not the reason I (and I don't get the impression it's the reason why others) take issue with the series. I don't question how the new lore will fit in with the established, that's not an issue whatsoever. The issue is when we are fed absolute shite plots and shite novels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of the Night View Post
...and because they can't figure it out they assume that the Black Library authors are just making it up as they go along...

...but I do not think any retcons are coming. The authors are better than that.
The Heresy authors don't have a great track-record when it comes to these things I'm afraid, the series is littered with mistakes, omissions, inconsistency and lore-changes. However, they do seem much more organised now than they were years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobss View Post
... it seems like another original idea that is pretty miss - be it an integral issue or a matter of execution. At least the Cabal/Shadow Crusade/Imperium Secundus storylines have been top notch.
Wholeheartedly agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wusword77 View Post
I'd buy into this, except that the SM codex states Vulkan vanished 7000 and more years ago.

And there is actually 0 point in saying that if they meant he vanished 10000 years ago.
The authors wouldn't restrict themselves in terms of a novel's plot simply because of a figure, given in passing, in a codex. Vulkan vanishing 7k years ago rather than 10k years ago is hardly an integral part of the lore. Also, as far as we are aware, BL doesn't have a hand in codex-writing. For example: AD-B had to rewrite parts of The Emperor's Gift when Codex: Grey Knights was released.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cegorach View Post
I do love how we don't even need CotE to comment anymore, chances are he has already said something intelligent before that can be re-applied to the current situation.
Heresy's Background FAQ. (Fluff Project)
CotE Reviews: Prospero Burns (HH Review), Age of Darkness (HH Review).

Last edited by Child-of-the-Emperor; 07-11-13 at 11:13 AM.
post #10 of 93 (permalink) Old 07-11-13, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

I like the fleshing out of the Heresy.

I love it when skilled BL authours try to elaborate on and expand those previously untouched or barely touched events of the Heresy. I don't like it when they contradict previously established lore unless said lore is ridiculous and deserves to be retconned.

Vulkan is

I'm also not a blind Nick Kyme hater. I enjoyed Fall of Damnos...but everything else he has written (Promethean Sun, I'm looking at you) has been utter garbage.

EDIT: Oh dear, it's starting to get whackier...

Last edited by MontytheMighty; 07-11-13 at 10:05 AM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Black Library Fiction

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode