Armageddon (by ADB!) and Blood in the Machine - Page 3 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Black Library Fiction Here is where you can discuss your favourite Black Library publications and graphic novels. If it's published by Black Library it goes here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-01-13, 12:24 PM
Deathwing Commissar

Phoebus's Flag is: USA

The eBook won't be released until 12 July (for those who pre-ordered it).

I'll post a synopsis when I read it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-01-13, 01:43 PM
Vaz

Vaz's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by hailene View Post
What gun is the CL using? Too big for a bolt pistol. Waaaaaaay too slim to be a bolter.

...On second thought, maybe the author took some artistic license on the bolter?
I seriously hope that this becomes the typical style of Bolter Weapon. I'm sick of seeing barrels the size of a characters face for a weapon that fires a .75 calibre (that's 19mm or so) shots.

Fun fact, spent a few days firing a 20mm cannon last couple of days. Lets just say that instead of firing AP solid shots, a rocket powered explosive round would be fairly devastating; they have a max range of around 7km when fired at 45 degrees, but when direct fire between 2-3km; but that's as an AoE weapon; on an optimized Rifle-type, consider capabilities in excess of that.

So, yeah, they're pretty decent sniper weapons, if that's what it is.

However, the foregrip doesn't particularly make sense if it is a Sniper Weapon. It's better on a carbine weapon for CQC and a more natural hand position. As a Sniper, for ranged shots, it's better resting on the ground or on the elbow (I believe).

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi Baji View Post
It's not a black and white question really, there are different shades of anal probing,
a rectum spectrum, if you will
post #23 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-01-13, 02:32 PM

were also talking about super humans in advanced suits of armor capable of assisting in aiming as well as locking in place/brute strength to prevent recoil. Maybe his forward grip just assists in that?

post #24 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-01-13, 03:22 PM
Vaz

Vaz's Flag is: United Kingdom

If you want to handwaive it away as "it's magic", fair enough. But a handgrip provides no benefit to aiming at all. It's a video game fallacy that a foregrip reduces kick. It provides a more comfortable grip for extended usage.

If he's able to lock his armour to remove sway, then why need the foregrip?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi Baji View Post
It's not a black and white question really, there are different shades of anal probing,
a rectum spectrum, if you will
post #25 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-01-13, 03:39 PM
Deathwing Commissar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
If you want to handwaive it away as "it's magic", fair enough.
I don't think it's fair to dismiss it as simply "magic". The idea that power armour provides stability while aiming/firing is no more a stretch than highly sensitive auto-senses or a HUD that's wired to your brain and features data that can be dismissed by blinking or even just thinking (depending on the novel).

Quote:
But a handgrip provides no benefit to aiming at all. It's a video game fallacy that a foregrip reduces kick. It provides a more comfortable grip for extended usage.
I'm by no means a wizard of a shooter, but I would disagree that a handgrip doesn't help with aiming. I'll grant you that it doesn't matter as a bipod and/or a good resting position when shooting for distance and accuracy, but I would say it's quite helpful when firing standing - whether in semi-, three round burst, or automatic mode. I don't think it's a coincidence that a lot of shooters on this side of the pond who don't use hand grips adopt a more aggressive carbine grip with their non-shooting hand positioned almost right behind the front sights: their stated reason for doing so is to pull the carbine in more snugly against their shoulder pocket so as to manage recoil.

Having said that, though...

Quote:
If he's able to lock his armour to remove sway, then why need the foregrip?
Exactly. In the case of a Space Marine, I think it's a rather unnecessary bit of artistic license in an otherwise fine illustration.
post #26 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-02-13, 01:06 PM

I believe in Bowden - lets give him a chance. He could pleasantly surprise you
post #27 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-02-13, 02:34 PM
The Emperor Protects

Angel of Blood's Flag is: Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoebus View Post
I'm by no means a wizard of a shooter, but I would disagree that a handgrip doesn't help with aiming. I'll grant you that it doesn't matter as a bipod and/or a good resting position when shooting for distance and accuracy, but I would say it's quite helpful when firing standing - whether in semi-, three round burst, or automatic mode. I don't think it's a coincidence that a lot of shooters on this side of the pond who don't use hand grips adopt a more aggressive carbine grip with their non-shooting hand positioned almost right behind the front sights: their stated reason for doing so is to pull the carbine in more snugly against their shoulder pocket so as to manage recoil.
I only use my foregrip when doing CQB/OBUA, as I just find it easier to maneuver the weapon fast and more accurately at closer ranges with that style of grip, doesn't help the kick at all though. For distance shooting however, never use it, unless I'm shooting from prone, in which case I deploy the funky, yet incredibly gay pop out bi-pod legs.

But again, like Vaz said, and as you agreed, the stabalisation of the power armour would make it redundant anyway.
post #28 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-02-13, 02:55 PM

Garrak's Flag is: Romania

You guys might find the artist's thoughts interesting (also the full picture):

Black Library: Armageddon by `ukitakumuki on deviantART

Follow me and I shall give you victory or glorious martyrdom! For the Emperor!
post #29 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-02-13, 03:32 PM
Deathwing Commissar

Angel,

Ditto on the usage of said grip.

Garrack,

Thanks for the link!

EDIT: the same artist did the cover for 'Blood in the Machine'. I think it looks quite nice as well.

Last edited by Phoebus; 07-02-13 at 03:36 PM.
post #30 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-02-13, 03:54 PM

Garrak's Flag is: Romania

Depending on what you guys say about the novella, I might get this book, just because. Also I really like that artwork.

The one for Blood in the Machine is also awesome (that Imperator look scary - I'd crap my pants having that thing aim a gun my way).

Follow me and I shall give you victory or glorious martyrdom! For the Emperor!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Black Library Fiction

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode