Just finished Brothers of the Snake...really liked it! - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Black Library Fiction Here is where you can discuss your favourite Black Library publications and graphic novels. If it's published by Black Library it goes here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-24-13, 07:27 AM Thread Starter

Default Just finished Brothers of the Snake...really liked it!

I love the Homeric/Mycenaean theme of the Iron Snakes.

I liked all of the characters and especially enjoyed Priad's character development. Character development isn't limited to Priad either. The other members of Damocles all have their unique personalities and moments of growth and development.

It was a really nice novel. Pleasantly surprised as I had read some bad reviews before trying it. I really look forward to future Iron Snakes stuff from Abnett.

Apparently, (at BL Dublin) Abnett has confirmed that the Snakes will be making appearances in the future

Have any of you guys reviewed the novel. Would be interested in reading your opinions on the book
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-24-13, 07:51 AM
Deathwing Commissar

Phoebus's Flag is: USA

I really liked it as well, man. I should probably throw up a review some time.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-24-13, 08:05 AM
Jeepers

Loli's Flag is: United Kingdom

I really enjoyed this book, it was the first BL and 40k book I ever read. It's also the first of two books that I actually like by Dan Abnett.

I like the structure of the book in that, thought it was a straight story, it read to me at least as a collection of shorts that lead in to the next. I enjoyed the characters and they way they were developed - though I swear to god the story with the medic I think the was was practically if it the Ultramarines movie -. They were all likeable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawa View Post
"Bubbles"....?

The Old World just became a fart in the bath.....

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-24-13, 08:53 AM
Chaos God of Old Night

Lord of the Night's Flag is: United Kingdom

I quite liked Brothers of the Snake, my favourite moment is when the Dreadnought Autolochus "interrogates" a Dark Eldar to find Priad.

"Wrong answer."

LotN

https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...red-souls.html - The Kabal of Shattered Souls Project Log
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/...Book%20Reviews - Check out Talk Wargaming for reviews by Lord of the Night.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-24-13, 10:48 AM
hailene's Flag is: USA

I really liked most of the scenes with the Primary Clerk. How she responded when she first saw Priad...priceless.

There were a few of things that I didn't like about the book, though. How the Space Marines fought the Orks. The battle in the open seemed...odd. When you're out numbered 10,000 to 1, you don't slug it out with them in the open. The losses they took were appalling. I don't know what the Chapter Master was hoping to do. Slog through a million Orks to kill the warboss?

I didn't like how the cultists were able to harm the Snakes.

On the flip side, I didn't like how a single tactical squad could kill hundreds and hundreds of Dark Eldar without a loss. That seemed over much, yeah?

And the battle with the Chaos Space Marines in the refinery. It seemed too much like a...comic book fight. Too much back and forth without much tactical application. Tic for tac. Also the bowling over a CSM with a grenade haunts me.

Still, overall, I loved the book. Read it a couple-few times during some BL dry spells.

Last edited by hailene; 06-24-13 at 11:38 AM.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-24-13, 11:19 AM
Deathwing Commissar

Phoebus's Flag is: USA

I agree with most of your points, hailene.

I get that authors have thematic considerations for the factions they write about. In the Iron Snakes' case, Dan Abnett was motivated to have them not just behave like Homeric-Greek heroes, but to fight as them as well.

In practice, this was shown through a phalanx-style battle (Priad and the five squads taking on thousands of Orks), and in the Chapter's desire to face their enemies in what they considered worthy combat: infantry action. Unfortunately, as beautifully written as the book was, those parts didn't come off as nicely as they could have.

Greek hoplites, for instance, would have been the first to tell you that it's folly to march out a formation that can be outflanked by an enemy with superior numbers. It's why Leonidas and a few thousand of his best friends (not just three hundred Spartans) decided to hang out within the pass of Thermopylae, as opposed to being in the open. In an ideal world, Priad would have thought the same thing. Ditto with Seydon wanting to take on the myriads of Orks in heroic combat without trying to even thin out their ridiculous numbers from orbit or the air.

I think the people who claim the book was written with a mythic angle might have a point, though. This particular novel's themes might have deliberately been used in such a way as to trump reality and logic. It can't be coincidence that the next time we saw Priad he was being sent to an Ork held planet to keep them busy by himself for fifteen years!

Don't get me wrong, I still loved both the novel and the short, but there's a part of me that hopes the Iron Snakes' upcoming Space Marines Battles entry shows that, yes, they can win in their own style... but without that style making you wonder if you're reading a story within a story.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-24-13, 01:01 PM

Hachiko's Flag is: USA

It bears mentioning for those who haven't read it yet that it is more of a compilation of stories than a continuous novel (some don't like that format much). I've read the first sequences and very much enjoyed it. Priad is a good character.
I had overlooked this book until I read Abnett's excellent 1,000 word short Kill Hill. I recommend that story wholeheartedly to any who haven't read it yet.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-24-13, 03:28 PM

I liked the story where someone has to get some cheese or something to the other side of a course and the initiate eats the cheese and allows himself to be captured knowing they'll take him right to where he needs to go. A lot of times Astartes in 40K books come off seeming like unthinking brutes who just rely purely on strength and/or numbers, there's very little in the way of a feeling that they're thinking and adapting to the battle beyond maybe, "Oh crap, they're shelling us, let's get to cover!" which is more instinctual. They're supposed to have a post-human brain as well, allowing them to process information on a level we can't even really imagine, so it's nice to see that in action at least in some small way once in a while.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-24-13, 04:56 PM
Jeepers

Loli's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by hailene View Post
There were a few of things that I didn't like about the book, though. How the Space Marines fought the Orks. The battle in the open seemed...odd. When you're out numbered 10,000 to 1, you don't slug it out with them in the open. The losses they took were appalling. I don't know what the Chapter Master was hoping to do. Slog through a million Orks to kill the warboss?

I didn't like how the cultists were able to harm the Snakes.

On the flip side, I didn't like how a single tactical squad could kill hundreds and hundreds of Dark Eldar without a loss.
This is something, me another guy and the local GW store manager talked about. This book was written in a different time, it was written when Space Marines were everything in the books. They could do things like like. If this was written now that would never be happening. So with that in mind I total accept that. The landscape of the 40k books had changed since then. It's no different than in one of my Spider-Man comics from the 70s Spider-Man calls an Asian crook 'Slant Eyes', times change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawa View Post
"Bubbles"....?

The Old World just became a fart in the bath.....
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-24-13, 05:05 PM
Grr! That is all.
WaLkAwaY's Flag is: USA

Is this the one with the shorter stories in it? If so I have not finished it but did like it so far as much as I have read.

“There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.” – Ernest Hemingway (1899-1961)

War does not care about convenience or inclement weather. Neither should your training. ~Me (Okay really my brother and I felt bad for stealing it)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Black Library Fiction

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode