Are the Emperor's Children Cynabites? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Black Library Fiction Here is where you can discuss your favourite Black Library publications and graphic novels. If it's published by Black Library it goes here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-23-13, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

Default Are the Emperor's Children Cynabites?

They just seem like an obvious rip off from "HellRaiser" now with Fulgrim being pinhead. It is not that I dislike the way they are written, and I honestly can't think of a better way to represent a Chaos 'pleasure' god... but it really isn't original.

Or is it? Was the original Warhammer concept of the 4 chaos gods before or after 'Hellraiser'? Not sure who ripped off who, but I think it is safe to say it is the same idea.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-23-13, 11:23 PM

Loki1416's Flag is: USA

I dont understand how Fulgrim=pinhead. Did you mean Angron of the World Eaters because of the Butcher's Nails? Honestly, there is nothing between Pinhead and 40K that you can compare one another or say they are taken from one or the other.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-24-13, 07:55 AM
Deathwing Commissar

Phoebus's Flag is: USA

I think he's referring to the more sadistic aspects of the Cenobites, and their ability to inflict pleasure as well as pain to their more debauched victims.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-24-13, 09:54 AM
Bane of Empires

Child-of-the-Emperor's Flag is: United Kingdom

Just because different settings/plots/stories/franchises have relatable characters/plots/circumstances/elements doesn't mean one has ripped off the other one, far from it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cegorach View Post
I do love how we don't even need CotE to comment anymore, chances are he has already said something intelligent before that can be re-applied to the current situation.
Heresy's Background FAQ. (Fluff Project)
CotE Reviews: Prospero Burns (HH Review), Age of Darkness (HH Review).
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-24-13, 11:07 AM
Deathwing Commissar

Agreed. Point in fact, the Cenobites' M.O. is not to secure their own pleasure, per se, but to inflict punishment on those who go too far in their own searches for enlightenment. They may very well be what an Emperor's Child of the more generic mould (sadomasochism, reveling in extremes of pain and pleasure, etc.) might want to encounter, but I don't think they're alike to a degree where one seems like the other.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-24-13, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

I am reading "Angel Exterminatus" right now and Fabius seems to really get off on taunting (who I assume is) Eidelon. He says something like "You will both curse me and praise me in equal measure because I will bring you to new heights both of pleasure and pain".

Just the way they have deformed themselves they even look like cenobites.

Looking it up through wiki it seems that Warhammer beat out Hellraiser by a year. The first Warhammer stuff came out in 86, Hellraiser came out in 87.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-24-13, 04:26 PM
Deathwing Commissar

'Hellraiser' came out with that material from day one, though, and was based on earlier material (a novel, I believe) by Clive Barker. By contrast, it wasn't until several years later that the Emperor's Children were properly fleshed out as hedonists in service to Slaanesh.

Either way, though, I honestly think you're latching on to rather superficial connections. Again, the biggest one that I can think of is that the Cenobites themselves act as an agency of punishment. The Emperor's Children are about self-gratification. The Cenobites do their thing others. The Emperor's Children exist for those things to happen to them. Those are two completely different things, and the fact that the Children mutilate themselves in a way that is vaguely reminiscent of the Cenobite mode (which is varied to a considerably different degree, and generally meant to mimic the way they kill/torture) doesn't really make them that similar.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-24-13, 05:43 PM

Emperor Childrens are Cenobites, hedonists, rapists, murderers and sadists - nothing will change that. Anyway as a hedonist myself - its much appreciated to have excess in all, you dont need caution, patience etc.etc. An much better then to be a servant of Grand Daddy Nurgle or Great Liar Tzeench or idiotic blood maniac Khorne - what could they provide - dull senses - meh. The true love is shown only for the true hedonists in cenobite mode - Emperor children
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-24-13, 11:46 PM
Deathwing Commissar

You're right. The Emperor's Children are exactly like the Cenobites. They spend inordinate amounts of time hanging out in the Eye of Terror, waiting patiently for some idiot or another to either visit them there or to summon them for a specific ritual. Until then, they behave in a very composed, quiet manner. They of course reserve their penchant for "pain and pleasure" for their victims.

The problem is, that's not the Emperor's Children at all. They have the complete opposite mentality from that of the Cenobites. The Emperor's Children seek out extremes of pleasure and pain. They search for those experiences, so that they can experience them. The Cenobites exist to inflict them on others.

That's a huge, huge difference and superficial similarities in terms of self-inflicted mutilation doesn't bring them anywhere near one another...
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-25-13, 03:57 PM

Quote:
You're right. The Emperor's Children are exactly like the Cenobites. They spend inordinate amounts of time hanging out in the Eye of Terror, waiting patiently for some idiot or another to either visit them there or to summon them for a specific ritual. Until then, they behave in a very composed, quiet manner. They of course reserve their penchant for "pain and pleasure" for their victims.The problem is, that's not the Emperor's Children at all. They have the complete opposite mentality from that of the Cenobites. The Emperor's Children seek out extremes of pleasure and pain. They search for those experiences, so that they can experience them. The Cenobites exist to inflict them on others.
- You have a very good point here Phoebus. Anyway the Noise Marines are awesome, and strangely the most awesome are written by McNeil (his last novels are bad - but his description of Marius and his Cacophony are delightful)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Black Library Fiction

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode