Fantasy novels, where to start? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Black Library Fiction Here is where you can discuss your favourite Black Library publications and graphic novels. If it's published by Black Library it goes here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-21-13, 02:27 AM Thread Starter

kujwa's Flag is: USA

Default Fantasy novels, where to start?

i'm interested in reading more warhammer fantasy but really don't know where to start. i've read the first gotrek omnibus and will read the others but i'd like to try something different. thinking that maybe the sigmar collection looked interesting but that could be cuz i'm a sucker for oversized collection books. any suggestions fellas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-21-13, 04:35 AM

Hachiko's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujwa View Post
i'm interested in reading more warhammer fantasy but really don't know where to start. i've read the first gotrek omnibus and will read the others but i'd like to try something different. thinking that maybe the sigmar collection looked interesting but that could be cuz i'm a sucker for oversized collection books. any suggestions fellas?
From what I've seen of reviews for the Sigmar trilogy, the feedback is a resounding meh. I am not touching any more of Graham MacNeill's WH Fantasy after the first Ambassador book.
So what kind of fantasy do you want? There are some good series, you are already familiar with G&F. There is Abnett's well-received Malus Darkblade (dark elf) five book series.
If you want to follow a hero for a few books I'd recommend C.L. Werner's books. Brunner The Bounty Hunter is a great series, all collected into a nice fat omnibus, as is his Matthias Thulmann witch hunter series (a nice Warhammer take on Robert E Howard's Solomon Kane stories). He has some solid fantasy standalones as well.
I've heard great things about the Sword of Justice duology.
If you like rank and file stories (like the Imperial Guard books) there is the Empire Armies series. Reiksguard was good, and I heard good things on Warrior Priest and Iron Company.
Just my 2 cents. Hope it helps.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-21-13, 05:25 AM

Worldkiller's Flag is: USA

I second Malus Darkblade.

Finished: Too Much Love Will Kill You (working title), an original fiction novel. Working on: Second draft of Too Much Love, and the first draft of A Winter's Tale (working title).

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-21-13, 07:17 AM

Quote:
I would recommend getting the Time of Legends omnibuses, as well as the Malus Darkblade series.
Also William Kings elf series, Tyrion and Techlies? I have no idea how it is spelled.
I thought all of those were awesome!
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-21-13, 02:52 PM
Chaos God of Old Night

Lord of the Night's Flag is: United Kingdom

I third The Chronicles of Malus Darkblade, absolutely fantastic series and the series that actually got me interested in fantasy as a genre, if not for that book I would never have read things like A Song of Ice and Fire, The Demon Cycle, and other fantasy works that don't involve lasers.

Hachiko is right about Matthias Thulmann and Brunner the Bounty Hunter, both some of the best works in Warhammer Fantasy imo and ones that I dearly hope C.L Werner returns to soon. He has promised us more of both, but when is another matter.

The Swords of the Emperor duology is brilliant, Sword of Justice is a bit slower but Sword of Vengeance makes up for it by having one of the most epic battles in the Warhammer setting, and for showing why the men of the Empire kick ass.

I would not recommend the Tyrion and Teclis books. They are very weak plot wise, the characters feel either wooden or one-note, and the dialogue is so unmemorable that George Lucas could have done a better job, yes the same guy who gave us "NNNNNNOOOOOO!!"

I would recommend the Thanquol and Boneripper trilogy. Excellent series and some of my favourite novels overall, each one is hilarious and fun to read especially when Thanquol really gets going on the megalomania and paranoid delusions of grandeur and conspiracy. A must for any fan of the Skaven.

LotN

https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...red-souls.html - The Kabal of Shattered Souls Project Log
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/...Book%20Reviews - Check out Talk Wargaming for reviews by Lord of the Night.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-21-13, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

isn't brunner in the gotrek series?

i am curious bout the skaven stories due to enjoying their story from the gotrek book.

thanks for the input so far.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-21-13, 09:38 PM
Chaos God of Old Night

Lord of the Night's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
I don't think so no. And that is something i'd notice.

LotN

https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...red-souls.html - The Kabal of Shattered Souls Project Log
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/...Book%20Reviews - Check out Talk Wargaming for reviews by Lord of the Night.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-22-13, 12:05 AM Thread Starter

i vaguely remember in one of the stories in the 1st omnibus there was another dwarf slayer that annoyed the hell out of gotrek and was kinda a bumbling idiot but was dangerous out of sheer luck/chance that i thought was brunner.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-22-13, 12:19 AM

Hachiko's Flag is: USA

Quote:

i am curious bout the skaven stories due to enjoying their story from the gotrek book.

thanks for the input so far.
Werner is the master of skaven. Enjoy the Thanquol/Boneripper books.
Skaven figure heavily, but not exclusively, in the second Matthias Thulmann book.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-22-13, 12:36 AM

Sequere_me_in_Tenebras's Flag is: United Kingdom

I'll echo the other guys here, either Malus Darkblade series or any of The Time of Legends novels.

Current PhD student at Exeter University - "For the Glory - The Development of Battlefield tactics throughout the Ancient World."

Moments that amused me; Sevatar Prince of Crows

(When running into Alastor Rushal "The Raven" on the Invincible Reason)
"You won't believe how I got here."

(When told that a Commodore has survived an ambush and is now the highest ranking survivor.)
"That makes him the new fleet admiral. Offer him my insincere congratulations on a rank he earned purely by being the last naval officer standing. But what's the bad news?"

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Black Library Fiction

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode