"Blood of Asaheim" By Chris Wright - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Black Library Fiction Here is where you can discuss your favourite Black Library publications and graphic novels. If it's published by Black Library it goes here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-13, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

Loki1416's Flag is: USA

Default "Blood of Asaheim" By Chris Wright

(Minor spoilers below)
Blood of Asaheim
By Chris Wraight
Main Characters:
Jarnhamar pack of Ragnar Blackmanes Great Company
Grey Hunters
Gunnlaugur AKA Skullhewer- Pack Leader
Valtyr- Blademaster, 2nd in command
Baldr- Heavy weapon (Heavy Bolter)
Olgeir AKA Heavy Hand
Jorundur AKA Old Dog-Thunderhawk Pilot
Ingvar
Hafloi-Blood Claw
Sisters Of Battle: Order of the Wounded Heart
Cannoness de Chatelaine
Sister Palatine Uwe Bajola
Against:
Death Guard Legion CSM (Heretics and plague marines)

The basic premise of this book is that Ingvar returns from serving 57 years with the DeathWatch to the pack that either he (Ingvar) or Gunnlaugur would inherit with the pack leaders death. Because Ingvar wasn't there, Gunnlaugur was promoted uncontested. There is so much pride from Gunnlaugur that he constantly has to prove/show that he is the pack leader to Ingvar. Even though, Ingvar just doesn't care and all he wants to do is serve the Pack. So you (the reader) have to put up with all the petty BS as the Pack is sent on a mission to Ras Shakeh for an up coming major offensive and they (Imperial authorties) want to use that planet as a staging point. Jarnhamar pack is supposed to link up with the Sisters Of Battle to stamp out the rebellion that is going on on the planet.

Jarnhamar Pack assumes that this is going to be a easy mission, basically guard duty. However, as soon as they get in system they are spotted by an enemy ship. In typical Space Wolf fashion, they don't back down or look for a better attack pattern and just go in guns blazing. Although it was a good fight (and good reading), it costs them their ship and every one aboard except for the Space Marines.

Through out the book, Ingvar is constantly second guessing himself and the way of the Space Wolves after the lessons he learned serving with other chapters in the DeathWatch. His thoughts/advice is immediately brushed off by Gunnlaugur. Which in the end causes Ingvar to kind of go "rogue" as he just does pretty much what he wants. Worth noting that Ingvar's actions did work out for the better and saved the Pack multiple times (even if Gunnlaugur would NOT admit it).

All in all, the book is a good read. Especially if you are a Space Wolves fan. The childish "my penis is bigger" stuff gets old though.

I would rate this book 6 out of 10. I gave it that low of a score because of the bickering. Others will (of course) rate it higher, but the bickering just rubbed a sore spot with me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-13, 12:13 PM
Dazed and confused.

Khorne's Fist's Flag is: Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki1416 View Post
All in all, the book is a good read. Especially if you are a Space Wolves fan.
It's actually a very poor read if you are a SW fan. Wraight proves time and again throughout the book that he didn't even bother read the SW codex by way of some basic research before he started to write the book.
Old 06-18-13, 12:18 PM
Heresy Online's Pet Furby

Tawa's Flag is: Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khorne's Fist View Post
It's actually a very poor read if you are a SW fan. Wraight proves time and again throughout the book that he didn't even bother read the SW codex by way of some basic research before he started to write the book.
You aren't the first person I've heard say that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace of Ultramar View Post
I think Tawa is a temporal entity that exists outside of the hobby/modeling timeline. Essentially, he's the Heresy Online equivalent of a Time Lord... which is kinda hilarious and frightening all at the same time.
"God-Emperor? Calling him a god was how all this mess started."

Old 06-18-13, 02:07 PM
Chaos God of Old Night

Lord of the Night's Flag is: United Kingdom

Moved to Black Library Fiction, this is a summary of half the book with spoilers rather than an actual review.

LotN

https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...red-souls.html - The Kabal of Shattered Souls Project Log
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/...Book%20Reviews - Check out Talk Wargaming for reviews by Lord of the Night.
Old 06-19-13, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khorne's Fist View Post
For those of us who are a bit more interested in a good story than perfectly accurate lore, it wasn't bad. I had a little trouble keeping track of who was who since he kept alternating between first and last names for characters seemingly on a whim. For 50 pages Character X might be known as Smith, only to suddenly become John for 5-10 pages, reverting back to Smith a little later. Also, probably just me, but Nurgle just doesn't really do it for me. Having a small contingent of Plague Marines and plague cultists just didn't make for as compelling a story as it might have been if it had been Orks or some other kind of Chaos Marines. At least IMO. Still, I personally liked the social dynamic between the various members of the pack. Especially the little flashbacks to the one guy's time in the Deathwatch and how he came to appreciate the way other Chapters operate. But you also have the one guy coming back after several decades away and having to try and readjust. He's grown as a person, having experienced everything he did in the Deathwatch, while his Chapter battle brothers have basically stayed the same. There's also the issues of how there's the unsettled issue of who would have been in command if the one guy hadn't left to serve in the Deathwatch. So there's kind of the ongoing pissing contest to determine whose is bigger basically, which is very in line with pack animal behavior.
Old 06-19-13, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerogems View Post
For those of us who are a bit more interested in a good story than perfectly accurate lore, it wasn't bad.
Yes, I'm more concerned with quality of writing/story than 100% conformity with codex lore
Old 06-19-13, 12:41 PM

'Yes, I'm more concerned with quality of writing/story than 100% conformity with codex lore' - my point too. I dont care what he has done wrong with the Codex, iam not a player - but i like a superb novel when i read one.
Old 06-19-13, 12:52 PM
Dazed and confused.

Khorne's Fist's Flag is: Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anakwanar View Post
I dont care what he has done wrong with the Codex, iam not a player - but i like a superb novel when i read one.
Being a player or not has nothing to do with it. A codex provides more than just rules. It lays down the structure, traditions and history of that army as well. Wraight came along and pissed all over a lot of the stuff laid down in the codex by what appears to be sheer laziness. This was a serious disappointment compounded by the fact of just how good a job he did with Battle for the Fang.
Old 06-19-13, 01:16 PM

To Khorne's Fist - I disagree. This novel is good - after Betrayer, the best novel in HH-W40K this year.
Old 06-19-13, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

Loki1416's Flag is: USA

There's no way I would ever put this book in my "best list". Only two reasons I finished this book: It's Space Wolves and it's 40k. Besides that, I struggled after the first 20 pages to get interested.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Black Library Fiction

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in