"Blood of Asaheim" By Chris Wright - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Black Library Fiction Here is where you can discuss your favourite Black Library publications and graphic novels. If it's published by Black Library it goes here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-19-13, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khorne's Fist View Post
Being a player or not has nothing to do with it. A codex provides more than just rules. It lays down the structure, traditions and history of that army as well. Wraight came along and pissed all over a lot of the stuff laid down in the codex by what appears to be sheer laziness. This was a serious disappointment compounded by the fact of just how good a job he did with Battle for the Fang.
I'd say it's a fair point and it'd be good if authors tried to stick largely within the confines of the codex, but I think of it kind of like video games. There's a point where realism gets in the way of it being fun. I can't remember what game it was I was playing recently where it just seemed like they were trying too hard to make it be realistic and only succeeded in making the game a chore to play. So I'd prefer it if authors kept to the codex as much as possible, but if the codex is going to make it difficult or impossible to tell some aspect of the story then the codex be damned any time it gets in the way of telling a good story.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-19-13, 04:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Mind you I haven't read the story, but if Ingvar was the one calling the pack a squad then I don't think thats much of an issue. I mean he fought as part of a squad, not a pack, for nearly sixty years and picked up other traits from that time; terminology wouldn't be surprising.

Though with only this partial summary, can't really say much else.

Damnation is paved on good intentions; subtle and sugar coated or blunt and honest
A hero is someone who steps up when everyone else backs down.
Popularity is what people strive for when they lack the strength to be themselves.

Seriously, is it really that hard to write reviews without spoilers?

Reporting Posts - read this
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-19-13, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

Loki1416's Flag is: USA

@Darkreever
Honestly, I dont think my write up is a partial summery. From what I read in the book, it was easily simplified down to that little bit I wrote. But in the future, I will try to do better on book reviews. Was my first attempt. (Not trying to make excuses)

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-20-13, 04:35 PM

Kettu's Flag is: Australia

I do have to ask, the first two 'reviews' of the story I have found consisted mostly of 'story would have been better without Sisters, hate those self-righteous b******' and my subsequent question about this ignored.

I don't care for Marine stories personally but I do care about the Sisters of Battle and so my question is, how are they in the story? Is it worth reading for them?

Or is this another story where they get included because the author needed someone new to hate/kill/all of the above?

Quote:
And the lovely tales about how they almost won at the battle of shaggydog, almost survived the scouring of Rocksfalls, Almost did something in the purging of Pointless and
theybeatupsomehereticsafewyearsback
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-20-13, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

@Kettu
The sisters are good in the book, it's just that there isn't enough of them in it to warrant reading it just for them. Off the top of my head, I think there was two good fight scenes involving the Sisters, but more were implied.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-04-13, 08:42 PM
piemelke's Flag is: Belgium

just finished the book, really enjoyed it, I personally found it better than betrayer,
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-04-13, 09:52 PM
Banned
SSG.House's Flag is: USA

good book...but the discription made it seem like there wouldve been more drama betwee the sisters and the wolves. Was sorta depressed there was not real animosity...it was just implied.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-05-13, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piemelke View Post
just finished the book, really enjoyed it, I personally found it better than betrayer,
Why? Just curious
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-05-13, 08:51 PM
bobss's Flag is: England

Thought it was a very flat book.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-06-13, 02:27 AM Thread Starter

It was a very flat book and in no way was it better than Betrayer.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Black Library Fiction

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode