Suprise Digital Mondays release: Seventh Retribution - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Black Library Fiction Here is where you can discuss your favourite Black Library publications and graphic novels. If it's published by Black Library it goes here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-22-13, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
Brother Lucian's Flag is: Denmark

Default Suprise Digital Mondays release: Seventh Retribution

http://www.blacklibrary.com/warhamme...ion-ebook.html

I just noticed they have snuck out Seventh Retribution as a digital mondays early release. It is a full lenght book unlike the e-shorts normally published every monday.

Edit: Enjoying it so far, finding it a good read with a mystery pulling the reader onwards.

Edit 2: Theres some new and -QUITE- interesting lore suprises I certainly didn't see comming!

Edit 3: Finished it! A quite interesting plot that is quite reminding me of a few choice sci-fi movies. Which I shall not name here, due to the relation to the plot to keep the suprise. Suffice to say the title of the book have an impotant meaning.

Last edited by Brother Lucian; 04-23-13 at 01:15 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-23-13, 12:02 PM

I'll have to get this after work today.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-23-13, 01:06 PM
Dazed and confused.

Khorne's Fist's Flag is: Ireland

Bean Counter should have been shit canned from BL a long time ago. Did a decent job with Galaxy in Flames, but that was his peak. Up there with CS Goto and Mitchell Scanlon as one of the worst writers they've ever had. The combination of him and the most grim, dour SM chapter of a grim dour universe just doesn't bode well for an entertaining read. The quote that was on the site yesterday from a speech by Lysander confirmed it for me.

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-23-13, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khorne's Fist View Post
Bean Counter should have been shit canned from BL a long time ago. Did a decent job with Galaxy in Flames, but that was his peak. Up there with CS Goto and Mitchell Scanlon as one of the worst writers they've ever had. The combination of him and the most grim, dour SM chapter of a grim dour universe just doesn't bode well for an entertaining read. The quote that was on the site yesterday from a speech by Lysander confirmed it for me.
I think the book is better than you give it credit for, honestly. But if you are undecided, wait for other oppinions. But mine is quite favorable. I find it have a lot of evocative imagery, being quite far from the super common bleak and grey battlefield so prevalent in wh40k novels.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-23-13, 01:20 PM
I am Alpharius.

Doelago's Flag is: Finland

I have had this thing for a while waiting for it to be read, but I haven`t dared touch after the god awful Lysander story in Architect of Fate..

But as Khorne's Fist said, it baffles me how the guy has not been booted from the game yet.

[Flerden] 9:05 pm: Why the hell can't he just go offline if he goes to watc tv?
[dark angel] 9:06 pm: It is Doelago, we will never know
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-23-13, 05:02 PM
Chaos God of Old Night

Lord of the Night's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doelago View Post
But as Khorne's Fist said, it baffles me how the guy has not been booted from the game yet.
Van Horstmann. Daemon World. The Grey Knights Trilogy. Soul Drinkers. Those are the reasons why. Galaxy in Flames wasn't the best book and Battle for the Abyss is the weakest HH novel I agree, but he is a good author. If you don't care for him then so be it, but others like me do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khorne's Fist View Post
The quote that was on the site yesterday from a speech by Lysander confirmed it for me.
Ben Counter writes good dialogue, and one of the best speeches ever in 40k is his.

"We do not know what our chances of survival are, so we fight as if they were zero. We do not know what we are facing, so we fight as if it was the dark gods themselves. No one will remember us now and we may never be buried beneath Titan, so we will build our own memorial here. The Chapter might lose us and the Imperium might never know we existed, but the Enemy - the Enemy will know. The Enemy will remember. We will hurt it so badly that it will never forget us until the stars burn out and the Emperor vanquishes it at the end of time. When Chaos is dying, its last thought will be of us. That is our memorial -carved into the heart of Chaos. We cannot lose, Grey Knights. We have already won."

Truly epic. A moment when it's impossible to not be impressed by the Grey Knights. And by humanity for having these champions among it.

LotN

https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...red-souls.html - The Kabal of Shattered Souls Project Log
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/...Book%20Reviews - Check out Talk Wargaming for reviews by Lord of the Night.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-23-13, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of the Night View Post
Van Horstmann. Daemon World. The Grey Knights Trilogy. Soul Drinkers. Those are the reasons why. Galaxy in Flames wasn't the best book and Battle for the Abyss is the weakest HH novel I agree, but he is a good author. If you don't care for him then so be it, but others like me do.

Ben Counter writes good dialogue, and one of the best speeches ever in 40k is his.

"We do not know what our chances of survival are, so we fight as if they were zero. We do not know what we are facing, so we fight as if it was the dark gods themselves. No one will remember us now and we may never be buried beneath Titan, so we will build our own memorial here. The Chapter might lose us and the Imperium might never know we existed, but the Enemy - the Enemy will know. The Enemy will remember. We will hurt it so badly that it will never forget us until the stars burn out and the Emperor vanquishes it at the end of time. When Chaos is dying, its last thought will be of us. That is our memorial -carved into the heart of Chaos. We cannot lose, Grey Knights. We have already won."

Truly epic. A moment when it's impossible to not be impressed by the Grey Knights. And by humanity for having these champions among it.

LotN
Yep, people is dissing on Ben Counter far too readilly because of one sour grape. Which I personally didn't find as bad as people likes to shout about. Memorable characters such Mhotep or Skrall really carrying that book.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-23-13, 05:27 PM
Vaz

Vaz's Flag is: United Kingdom

I am starting Van Hortsmann tonight after i finish Death of Antagonis. I have been impressed with Anandales shorts, and so far, Antagonis is up there with Helsreach as a page turner. I want to get van Hortsmann read before the second of CL Werners trilogy is released.

As to Ben Counter, he might occasionally wsrite decent stories, but they are not 40k and he has written some terrible stories in the past: grey knights trilogy being one. When i was like 14 they were pretty cool, but looking back, eh. That speech is utterly mediocre at best.

I know you dont read outside of BL lotn, but even among the shite that is turned out by mcneil, kyme and swallow, i struggle to find place for counter. I find goto easier these days. Backflipping terminators and all.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi Baji View Post
It's not a black and white question really, there are different shades of anal probing,
a rectum spectrum, if you will
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-23-13, 09:12 PM
Chaos God of Old Night

Lord of the Night's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
I know you dont read outside of BL lotn, but even among the shite that is turned out by mcneil, kyme and swallow, i struggle to find place for counter. I find goto easier these days. Backflipping terminators and all.
Actually Vaz, I read outside of BL quite frequently. I have three filled bookcases in my house and only one of them is Black Library.

LotN

https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...red-souls.html - The Kabal of Shattered Souls Project Log
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/...Book%20Reviews - Check out Talk Wargaming for reviews by Lord of the Night.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-23-13, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

Lets get back on topic. Id love to hear from others whom have read Seventh Retribution. Bring it!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Black Library Fiction

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode