Vulkan Lives - Page 4 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Black Library Fiction Here is where you can discuss your favourite Black Library publications and graphic novels. If it's published by Black Library it goes here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-27-13, 02:23 PM

Okay, i got mine at Dublin. I will not give you spoilers, but....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-27-13, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anakwanar View Post
Oh dear, that does not bode well but its hardly surprising. I値l reserve judgement until I致e read it but I知 not optimistic. On the other hand I知 very much looking forward to the White Scars novel by Chris Wraight. For me Black Library has three outstanding authors, Abnett, Wraight and Demski-Bowden. I知 on a mission to read all their published Black Library work.

On a side note, I do like your titbits of knowledge and appreciate that you now use spoiler tags as that way everybody can stay happy! Have you heard anything about Swallows upcoming Death Guard novel?
post #33 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-27-13, 07:18 PM
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mal310 View Post
Oh dear, that does not bode well but its hardly surprising.
I was going to say the same thing when I read that. While I loved his tie in short Fires of War and enjoyed Salamander, everything else just seemed dull, bad, or horribly over the top (kind of like The Chapters Due which I am currently slogging through; 1-2 torpedoes salvos from a destroyer crippling a battlebarge?)

Quote:
On the other hand I知 very much looking forward to the White Scars novel by Chris Wraight.
Personally I find Wraight to be hit or miss. Battle for the Fang and Sword of Justice were good, but Sword of Vengeance felt like a chore (and many decry Blood of Asaheim though I'll reserve judgment until I've read the book myself.)

Quote:
For me Black Library has three outstanding authors, Abnett, Wraight and Demski-Bowden.
Personally I'm a big fan of most of Swallow's work (barring the first two Blood Angel books and Fear to Tread) in addition to Sandy Mitchel, Lee Lightner and Nathan Long. People can say what they want about the last two in regards to the Ragnar and Gotrek and Felix books, but I find them to be more enjoyable than King.

Quote:
Have you heard anything about Swallows upcoming Death Guard novel?
Hopefully it will be more like Flight than Fear is all I can really say.

Damnation is paved on good intentions; subtle and sugar coated or blunt and honest
A hero is someone who steps up when everyone else backs down.
Popularity is what people strive for when they lack the strength to be themselves.

Seriously, is it really that hard to write reviews without spoilers?

Reporting Posts - read this

post #34 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-27-13, 07:20 PM
The Emperor Protects

Angel of Blood's Flag is: Wales

Quote:
Sigh. Can't say I'm surprised at all, but there's always that part of me that hopes Kyme might just write something good for once, the same part of me also hopes I might win the lottery though, or become immortal, or hopes for the start of the zombie apocalypse or get a chance to bump into Pierce Morgan and murder the cunt.

Having said that, I'll still need to buy it just to keep the collection complete.
post #35 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-27-13, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Have you heard anything about Swallows upcoming Death Guard novel?
post #36 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-27-13, 10:31 PM
Dazed and confused.

Khorne's Fist's Flag is: Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Scion of Chemos View Post
But YES Sandy Mitchell and William King both need to be the next ones in the Heresy.
Not too sure they'd be bothered themselves. Mitchell seems happy enough churning out Cain books. If he had aspirations to write something else I'd say he'd have been given the opportunity a long time ago. King has kind of pigeon holed himself as well.

Quote:
Are you just speculating, or do you have some source for this?

Having listened to the authors at the Dublin event I'm not feeling that there will be a huge amount of background stuff. They really gave the impression that momentum was now carrying the story arc forward and there wouldn't be a lot of looking backwards any more.

That said, considering what we know is coming soon, Mortarion is really the only primarch we really haven't seen from the inside yet, so to speak, and seeing his reasons for betrayal from his perspective would be cool.

Last edited by Khorne's Fist; 06-27-13 at 10:39 PM.
post #37 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-27-13, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkreever View Post

Personally I'm a big fan of most of Swallow's work (barring the first two Blood Angel books and Fear to Tread) in addition to Sandy Mitchel, Lee Lightner and Nathan Long. People can say what they want about the last two in regards to the Ragnar and Gotrek and Felix books, but I find them to be more enjoyable than King.
I find Swallow to be really hit and miss to be honest, even within the same novel! I thought Fear To Tread had some great parts as well as some shockingly poor parts (transformers anyone!) I really think he could have and should have ramped up the horror to the max in that book. I really enjoyed Nemises as well, don't understand some of the hate that book gets.

Quote:
I very much like the sound of this, I can't understand the constant moaning by some about the series not moving forward when it clearly is. We don't know the reasons for Mortarions betrayal and so I'd love to see this covered.

Maybe as well he can ramp up the horror for that trip to Terra. Its a great opportunity for it!

I'd like a Black Library book to really try and convey the horror of the setting and this is unfortunately rarely achieved I feel.
post #38 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-27-13, 11:24 PM
Dazed and confused.

Khorne's Fist's Flag is: Ireland

Quote:
I'd like a Black Library book to really try and convey the horror of the setting and this is unfortunately rarely achieved I feel.
Abnett for me is the only one able to capture what the horror of Chaos should truly like. He hasn't really had to do much in the HH books, but in the GG books he really strikes a chord when describing the various aspects of Chaos that the Ghosts have encountered. Unfortunately no other BL author has managed anything similar without drifting into the realm of the cartoonish.

As you said, Swallow should have really amped it up in FtT, it being the first novel to almost fully revolve around demonic themes. Unfortunately he blew that chance. The fall of the DG to Nurgle is another shot at it, but despite the fact that FotE is one of my favourite HH novels, I'm not too hopeful.
post #39 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-28-13, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkreever View Post
Personally I find Wraight to be hit or miss. Battle for the Fang and Sword of Justice were good, but Sword of Vengeance felt like a chore (and many decry Blood of Asaheim though I'll reserve judgment until I've read the book myself.)
In my opinion he's more much more hit than miss.

Brotherhood of the Storm is one of the Black Library's best legion-building entries, up there with Legion and Prospero Burns. I'm a WS fan, either an AL fan nor a SW fan, but I can appreciate that all three of these works set up their respective legions very nicely.

Wrath of Iron is very good considering that the Iron Hands are a hard chapter to write about. Their bleak outlook, obsession with bionics, extreme inhumanity make them very hard to root for. Yet Wraight does quite a good job of allowing the reader to understand why the Iron Hands have such a harsh, almost monstrous attitude. Talos's Night Lords are the likeable traitors. The Iron hands are the unlikeable loyalists.

If you're cool with brutal protagonists, you'll probably enjoy Wrath of Iron as it provides an interesting character study of the Iron Hands and the story itself is quite engaging. One of the non-Astartes characters is also especially memorable: a loyalist assassin whose behaviour really makes it clear that by modern day standards, many 40K "good guys" would be considered totally evil. On top of that, the final battle was pure bada$$.

Quote:
For me Black Library has three outstanding authors, Abnett, Wraight and Demski-Bowden.
Agreed. I've heard criticisms of Blood of Asaheim but they mostly centre around the novel's divergence from codex company structure. I honestly don't mind if a novel doesn't strictly follow codex if it offers an excellent, well-written story.
post #40 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-28-13, 08:46 AM
sadLor's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khorne's Fist View Post
That said, considering what we know is coming soon, Mortarion is really the only primarch we really haven't seen from the inside yet, so to speak, and seeing his reasons for betrayal from his perspective would be cool.
Hopefully, the WS novel goes into the Khan's motivations and the background of the WS. It's almost a guarantee though considering we know absolutely nothing about them.

Besides Mortarion, I'm actually hoping for a novel to flesh out Dorn and the IG a bit. We've had bits and pieces, mainly from novellas, but it would still be nice to have a book about their background and culture. It'll also be helpful to show a different side of Dorn...he's been shown as pretty one-dimensional so far.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Black Library Fiction

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode