Thoughts on Gotrek and Felix ? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Black Library Fiction Here is where you can discuss your favourite Black Library publications and graphic novels. If it's published by Black Library it goes here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-04-13, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
Banned
Magpie_Oz's Flag is: Australia

Default Thoughts on Gotrek and Felix ?

Hi guys, currently I am reading "Trollslayer" as my first G&F novel.

I got it mainly on the basis of how much I enjoyed the Ulrika series but I have to say I'm a little disappointed so far.

The book just seems to be a series of "went here, got attacked, everyone died but G&F survived and killed the enemy." rinse and repeat at the next town.

Also each chapter seems to be a story on its own? as they go through the description of Gotrek at the start of each one.

It's getting to the point of being boring and repetitive.

anyone else find this? Does the story get better? are the other books in the series the same?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-04-13, 11:13 AM

kujwa's Flag is: USA

i read the first omnibus and really enjoyed it. it was my first and to date only fantasy warhammer that i've read. i liked the stories enough to plan on either buying the mega digital collection or the other omnibus'. both the audio dramas were fun to listen to as well.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-04-13, 11:49 AM

Paceyjg's Flag is: England

If it helps Trollslayer is the poorest of the early G & F books. They get very good as the series goes on.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-04-13, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paceyjg View Post
If it helps Trollslayer is the poorest of the early G & F books. They get very good as the series goes on.
AH HA ! yes it does help. I'll press on then.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-04-13, 12:32 PM
Chaos God of Old Night

Lord of the Night's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magpie_Oz View Post
The book just seems to be a series of "went here, got attacked, everyone died but G&F survived and killed the enemy." rinse and repeat at the next town.

Also each chapter seems to be a story on its own? as they go through the description of Gotrek at the start of each one.

Anyone else find this? Does the story get better? Are the other books in the series the same?
Only Trollslayer is in that multi-story format. The rest are like normal books.

Me personally I rank the Gotrek and Felix novels in these rough scores, though i'm only past the first seven in the series.

Trollslayer - 7/10
Skavenslayer - 10/10 (It introduced Thanquol so i'm biased.)
Daemonslayer - 9/10 (The final battle though is a 11/10 for epicness.)
Dragonslayer - 6/10
Beastslayer - 8/10
Vampireslayer - 6/10
Giantslayer - 6/10

The problem with some of the G&F novels is that they feel very slow. That was the case with Dragon, Vampire and Giantslayer. The books were good but just felt so slow that at times it felt like a chore to continue, but otherwise they were good enough. Personally I prefer Josh Reynolds and Nathan Long for my G&F, the former's Road of Skulls is brilliant and G&F's best adventure since Daemonslayer, and the latter has a good solid grasp of them and while I personally like Reynolds more, Long is still very good and i'd take him over any other author.

LotN

https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...red-souls.html - The Kabal of Shattered Souls Project Log
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/...Book%20Reviews - Check out Talk Wargaming for reviews by Lord of the Night.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-04-13, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Thanks for the run down LotN, I'll take that on board.

I am a bit of a "series tragic" in that I MUST read all the books and in the correct order or the world will end! So I'll be ploughing through the lot.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-13, 06:05 PM

Paceyjg's Flag is: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of the Night View Post
Only Trollslayer is in that multi-story format. The rest are like normal books.

Me personally I rank the Gotrek and Felix novels in these rough scores, though i'm only past the first seven in the series.

Trollslayer - 7/10
Skavenslayer - 10/10 (It introduced Thanquol so i'm biased.)
Daemonslayer - 9/10 (The final battle though is a 11/10 for epicness.)
Dragonslayer - 6/10
Beastslayer - 8/10
Vampireslayer - 6/10
Giantslayer - 6/10

The problem with some of the G&F novels is that they feel very slow. That was the case with Dragon, Vampire and Giantslayer. The books were good but just felt so slow that at times it felt like a chore to continue, but otherwise they were good enough. Personally I prefer Josh Reynolds and Nathan Long for my G&F, the former's Road of Skulls is brilliant and G&F's best adventure since Daemonslayer, and the latter has a good solid grasp of them and while I personally like Reynolds more, Long is still very good and i'd take him over any other author.

LotN
But Orcslayer was pants. He must have upped his game then?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-12-13, 02:29 PM

They were the bait that finally dragged into the Warhammer universe when I picked up Trollslayer. Every Dungeons and Dragons related fantasy realm has been butchered in recent years and I was finding myself not wanting to read anything. For some reason the concept of a slayer sounded interesting. I differ from Lord of the Night because I don't like the novels as much after the author change. I can't put my finger on exactly why.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Black Library Fiction

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode