Black Legion Series (ADB) - Page 60 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Black Library Fiction Here is where you can discuss your favourite Black Library publications and graphic novels. If it's published by Black Library it goes here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #591 of 600 (permalink) Old 03-20-16, 02:07 PM

Kharn The Complainer's Flag is: Former Soviet Union

Here's an excerpt from my new novel Khârn; The Complainer.

-----------------------
I almost didn't recognise him as he strode across the crowded deck. The warp changes all of us, for better or for worse, but with Khârn it wasn't so much a physical change, but a change to his aura.

"Hello chaps", he declared in a smooth pur. Gone was his gravelly rasp of a voice. "I wondered if you'd all like a spot of tea and perhaps some scones. I baked them myself this morning."

We stared in disbelief as he gestured to us to sit. Moments later he reappeared carrying a large plate of scones with a pot of strawberry jam and a pot of clotted cream. Khârn gestured to his flowery apron. "I won this apron in the great bake-off of Kavurios VII. There was some stiff competition, but my 3 tiered lemon meringue pie really won over the judges. Who could possibly resist a second tier covered in condensed milk?"

"Khârn!", I exclaimed, spreading the clotted cream thickly over the fresh scone, "What ever happened to you? You have changed!"

As he looked at me, a kindly smile crept across his battle scarred face.
"Well darling, 10,000 years of combat changes us all. After the massacre of Purvis I decided to take a good long look at my life and I asked myself, 'am I really happy?', and you know what? I couldn't say 'yes'. I said to myself, 'Khârn, you silly goose, is this the way you want to live your life? Filled with hatred, anger and death?' "

Khârn gestured to a box near the table. I peered curiously inside and noticed that within its cardboard shell were 4 beautiful kittens.

Khârn nodded to me and continued, "You see, I realised that I had caused far too much suffering in my time. Now it's time for change. I have opened a shelter for the galaxy's abandoned kittens. Do you know how many kittens were abandoned during the last Black Crusade?"

I stared at him blanky, taking a sip of tea from the delicate porcelain cup. "No, I can't say that I do."

Khârn let out a jovial chuckle. "To be honest, neither do I, but I can assure you that the number is high."

How could this have happened to him? How could he have changed from the most violent creature in the galaxy to a master baker and owner of a kitten sanctuary. Time changes people sure. But perhaps events change them more.

After the failure of the Heresy could anyone be surprised that Khârn would change this much? During the Heresy and even the Great Crusade, his faith and belief in Angron was absolute, completely confident in their path and victory. But then Angron, his beloved and idolised father turned into a great big piece of shit.

After Terra, the war was lost, he was found dead as his brothers were forced to flee before the wrath of the loyalists. Although he miraculously recovered, he then found himself erased from Imperial records, which, lets face it, was upsetting for all of us.

Then within the Eye the remains of his Legion were slowly hunted down and murdered by the other traitor legions, their once proud and famed reputation ruined and forgotten, only their 'cowardice' at the Seige remembered.

-------------------

I'm going to give Angel of Blood and ADB some writing credit as they both inspired me grately. If Abaddon is justified in such a dramatic change, surely they all are. ;-)

Last edited by Kharn The Complainer; 03-20-16 at 02:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #592 of 600 (permalink) Old 03-21-16, 03:25 PM

forkmaster's Flag is: Sweden

To be fair, he has been wandering sinde the Eye for an unknown amount of time. In the outside Void, it has passed cirka 2000 years. In the Eye he could have wandered for a very much longer time than that. Hence his change.
post #593 of 600 (permalink) Old 03-21-16, 04:09 PM

Squire's Flag is: Soth Korea

I loved Talon of Horus, couldn't put it down! Brilliant cast of characters and I'm always a sucker for stories involving a group of guys from different legions working together. I think it works well because you can pick up a story featuring a bunch of new characters and already know something about them based on the character of their respective legions.

As always ADB's World Eaters are brilliant. Before Betrayer the WE legion were, for me, a boring one dimensional legion that didn't really interest me. Bowden made them so much more, and after reading Talon I'm starting to think it might be the element of humour that makes them appealing

I look forward to the follow up to this and the prospect of the Alpha Legion being introduced adds to that- not to mention traitor primarchs post heresy

EDIT: Regarding the change in personality of Abaddon, this version is better and makes more sense to me. The Abaddon of the original HH trilogy kind of fits the purpose of that three book story but probably doesn't justify Horus' affection for him. Maybe you could rationalise it as the initial portrayal of Abaddon being primarily from Loken's perspective... I don't know. I'm happy with authors having different takes on characters anyway and prefer a bit of inconsistency if that means characters and concepts in the 40k universe can be improved upon over time.

www.communitycomp.org/

^ Balanced 40k!

Last edited by Squire; 03-21-16 at 04:39 PM.

post #594 of 600 (permalink) Old 03-21-16, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forkmaster View Post
To be fair, he has been wandering sinde the Eye for an unknown amount of time. In the outside Void, it has passed cirka 2000 years. In the Eye he could have wandered for a very much longer time than that. Hence his change.
And by that logic, my depiction of Kharn is equally valid, don't you agree?

I know there are contradicting accounts of who lead the first Black Crusade, but the 6th edition says it was Abaddon.
This happened in 781.M31.
The Heresy ended in 014.M31

Now, I know "THE WARP DID IT" explains any tricky problems BL and GW get into with time scales, but in most novels they state that time in the warp moves slower. In the Night Lords novels only a few hundred years have passed in the warp since the HH and they're fighting pretty much around M40.

Now we have Abaddon crusading in and out of the warp and seemlingly 10,000 years have passed in the warp but only 1000 have passed in the real space.
Actually ADB never states such a thing. The posters here all seem to think that a vast amount of time has passed which allows Abaddon to completely change his personality.

THE WARP DID IT.
Fine, fine.

The great thing about fanboys is that they will defend any irrational event. ADB could have Abaddon shitting rainbows and you'd all be climbing over each other to explain how it makes sense.

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed the novel, as I did with the Night Lords trilogy. ADB writes some lovely things. I am just hung up on the vast change in Abby's personality.

But hey, THE WARP DID IT.

Regarding Brother Lucian's thoughts that; " the belicose Abbadon perished during the Horus Heresy, and Horus had a backup created to take the role. "
A really interesting idea. Very interesting indeeeeeed. It would be pretty awesome if we later discovered that Abaddon wanted the cloning shit destroyed because he wanted to be the only clone. That would neatly explain his change in personality since he wasn't the original Abaddon. Also, we don't have to keep relying on the whole THE FUCKING WARP DID IT to explain why shit doesn't make sense.

The Warp = Wizard.
https://youtu.be/sVgVB3qsySQ

Last edited by Kharn The Complainer; 03-21-16 at 06:16 PM.
post #595 of 600 (permalink) Old 03-23-16, 07:53 AM

Belligerent Angry Marine Abaddon went through a personal odyssey in the Warp

Death of Horus greatly affected him
post #596 of 600 (permalink) Old 03-23-16, 03:19 PM
The Emperor Protects

Angel of Blood's Flag is: Wales

I don't subscribe to him being in their for a lot longer. I just think the result of the Heresy, the defeat and subsequent events justify his change just fine. I've never been an Abaddon fanboy either. I didn't like him much at all before ToH, still not a Abby fanboy. I want to read more of Khayon and Lheor.

As for the cloning theory. I've personally hates that theory ever since I first heard it.
post #597 of 600 (permalink) Old 03-23-16, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kharn The Complainer View Post
And by that logic, my depiction of Kharn is equally valid, don't you agree?
I am unfamiliar about what depiction of Khârn you refer to.

Quote:
I know there are contradicting accounts of who lead the first Black Crusade, but the 6th edition says it was Abaddon.
Black Crusades are a bit tricky as they both refer to Abaddons numbered ones, and then there a Black Crusade any daemon or Chaos Lord has lead. The 1st through 13th Crusades are all Abbadons.

Quote:
Now, I know "THE WARP DID IT" explains any tricky problems BL and GW get into with time scales, but in most novels they state that time in the warp moves slower. In the Night Lords novels only a few hundred years have passed in the warp since the HH and they're fighting pretty much around M40.

Now we have Abaddon crusading in and out of the warp and seemlingly 10,000 years have passed in the warp but only 1000 have passed in the real space.
Actually ADB never states such a thing. The posters here all seem to think that a vast amount of time has passed which allows Abaddon to completely change his personality.
It's a common used tropé in 40k fiction, but still valid. It's not mentioned as it's more or less common knowledge now. Abnett displayed the tricks of the Warp in his first GG book when some of his men have experienced a long time, while others haven't felt the time has passed at all. The Warp exist outside our linear timeline, it doesn't go faster or slower, we just experience it differently. Doctor Who's Wibbly Wobbley-explanation is the best visual I can apply in this case.

Quote:
The great thing about fanboys is that they will defend any irrational event. ADB could have Abaddon shitting rainbows and you'd all be climbing over each other to explain how it makes sense.
Or find a rational thought or theory on how it could be as it could be. I think ADB get a lot of shit, but he is very thourough with background research unlike many other authors. Frankly the clone-theory seems to outlandish to me, just like everyone is trying to make crazy ideas about Rey and how she is related to both Luke and Obi-Wan.

Abaddon wanders through the eye for an eternity. He sees things, experience things, debates with himself after all he believed in was destroyed. It seems like a big personality change from out perspective as Abaddon is portrayed in one way in books that were written 10 years ago and how his is portrayed now. The background lore updates, different authors have their personal take on things, I think this is a development that has improved a lot only.
post #598 of 600 (permalink) Old 03-23-16, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forkmaster View Post
I am unfamiliar about what depiction of Khârn you refer to.
Awww....so you didn't read my epic short story? I wrote it just for you!

Quote:

Or find a rational thought or theory on how it could be as it could be. I think ADB get a lot of shit, but he is very thourough with background research unlike many other authors. Frankly the clone-theory seems to outlandish to me, just like everyone is trying to make crazy ideas about Rey and how she is related to both Luke and Obi-Wan.
Wait...are you suggesting that Abaddon is the son of Luke Skywalker? I like this idea. Make it canon!
post #599 of 600 (permalink) Old 03-28-16, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Wait...are you suggesting that Abaddon is the son of Luke Skywalker? I like this idea. Make it canon!
Well it's not worse than the clone-theory.
post #600 of 600 (permalink) Old 03-29-16, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel of Blood View Post
I don't subscribe to him being in their for a lot longer. I just think the result of the Heresy, the defeat and subsequent events justify his change just fine. I've never been an Abaddon fanboy either. I didn't like him much at all before ToH, still not a Abby fanboy. I want to read more of Khayon and Lheor.

As for the cloning theory. I've personally hates that theory ever since I first heard it.
ADB's Abby is jarringly different from previous portrayals

ADB's early Lorgar is also jarringly different from his later, purposeful Lorgar.

In both cases, we don't get to follow their personal odysseys. We get a brief glimpse of Lorgar's in Aurelian.

We get even less insight into Abby' time in the Warp.

However, as readers we can accept that:

1. ADB's portrayal doesn't necessarily have to adhere to previous portrayals

2. ADB's portrayal is not irreconcilable...a few decades in the Warp after the death of your primarch and the shattering of your legion...such events would affect any marine

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Black Library Fiction

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode