Black Legion Series (ADB) - Page 20 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Black Library Fiction Here is where you can discuss your favourite Black Library publications and graphic novels. If it's published by Black Library it goes here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #191 of 600 (permalink) Old 06-16-14, 05:09 PM
Chaos God of Old Night

Lord of the Night's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Words_of_Truth View Post
As long as it's it's done in a fashion where Abaddon can't gloat over it then fine, Sigismund's death has never been known and all of a sudden we have a book where it's clear Abaddon killed him yet it's never been mentioned before, just seems awkward to me. I'd prefer it if he went out in a vague manner like the way Dorn did, i.e you don't see it happen and there's always the chance it didn't but for all intents and purposes he is gone.
It's ADB writing it. That will definitely not be a concern. After all this is the guy who wrote Void Stalker, a book with around two chapters featuring the Ultramarines, and said chapters being hailed as one of the best portrayals of the Ultramarines ever. And then Betrayer after that. With ADB as the author, it's a guarantee that both sides will get equal treatment.

LotN

https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...red-souls.html - The Kabal of Shattered Souls Project Log
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/...Book%20Reviews - Check out Talk Wargaming for reviews by Lord of the Night.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #192 of 600 (permalink) Old 06-16-14, 05:49 PM

Words_of_Truth's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by forkmaster View Post
I've always wanted a novel that details the Black Crusade that actually ends the life of Rogal Dorn. With this and if successful, there might be hope!
Dorn's not dead, it's not confirmed at least. The most up to date fluff regarding him specifically states the Imperial Fists only found his fist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of the Night View Post
It's ADB writing it. That will definitely not be a concern. After all this is the guy who wrote Void Stalker, a book with around two chapters featuring the Ultramarines, and said chapters being hailed as one of the best portrayals of the Ultramarines ever. And then Betrayer after that. With ADB as the author, it's a guarantee that both sides will get equal treatment.

LotN
I hope so.
post #193 of 600 (permalink) Old 06-16-14, 06:49 PM
Bane of Empires

Child-of-the-Emperor's Flag is: United Kingdom

Does this little snippet of info we've got about Sigismund imply that Dorn was killed before the First Black Crusade? Although, obviously, it was never stated he fell to the First Black Crusade, just assumed so by many fans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Words_of_Truth View Post
Dorn's not dead, it's not confirmed at least.
Debatable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cegorach View Post
I do love how we don't even need CotE to comment anymore, chances are he has already said something intelligent before that can be re-applied to the current situation.
Heresy's Background FAQ. (Fluff Project)
CotE Reviews: Prospero Burns (HH Review), Age of Darkness (HH Review).

post #194 of 600 (permalink) Old 06-16-14, 08:45 PM
Chaos God of Old Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Child-of-the-Emperor View Post
Does this little snippet of info we've got about Sigismund imply that Dorn was killed before the First Black Crusade? Although, obviously, it was never stated he fell to the First Black Crusade, just assumed so by many fans.
The information we have on Dorn says he went missing in the 1st Black Crusade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Child-of-the-Emperor View Post
Debatable.
True but Dorn's death isn't definitively confirmed anymore. Now it's the mystery of whether or not he did die.

LotN

https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...red-souls.html - The Kabal of Shattered Souls Project Log
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/...Book%20Reviews - Check out Talk Wargaming for reviews by Lord of the Night.
post #195 of 600 (permalink) Old 06-16-14, 09:20 PM
piemelke's Flag is: Belgium

I tend to go with words of truth here, Sigismund is one of the few loyalists who loyalist fans are proud of, one of the cool guys to balance all the near unbeatable traitor primarchs, kharns, typhus, abbadons, ahrimans, lucius, etc, it would take away some of his shine of Sigismund, his aura of invincibility if he were to be bested in cc, rather have him get a bolt in the gut and bleed out whilst disembowling some black legionaires.
Thing is ADB will make Abbadon by all means the coolest, most badass character in the warhammer universe he does not need to have Abb get cool points on behalf of sigismund
(this is all under wild speculation that he indeed intends to do this)
post #196 of 600 (permalink) Old 06-16-14, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piemelke View Post
I tend to go with words of truth here, Sigismund is one of the few loyalists who loyalist fans are proud of, one of the cool guys to balance all the near unbeatable traitor primarchs, kharns, typhus, abbadons, ahrimans, lucius, etc, it would take away some of his shine of Sigismund, his aura of invincibility if he were to be bested in cc, rather have him get a bolt in the gut and bleed out whilst disembowling some black legionaires.
Thing is ADB will make Abbadon by all means the coolest, most badass character in the warhammer universe he does not need to have Abb get cool points on behalf of sigismund
(this is all under wild speculation that he indeed intends to do this)
It is also worth noting that Sigismund DOES die, and since he is a Space Marine, he probably died in glorious battle! And all of those Chaos warriors, are imbued by the power of gods(at least in 40k, I am behind in the HH lol)
I doubt ADB would give such a loved character a terrible death. As a newish reader of ADBs stuff, I feel content to trust him with it. Sure, since Abaddon is Abaddon, I have no doubt he will be badass, but that doesn't mean Sigis wont be too!
And why does everyone seem to think he is old and worthless at 800-1k?? Dante is still kicking ass at 1K+? I bet it will be an epic battle, definitely worthy of Sigismund.
post #197 of 600 (permalink) Old 06-16-14, 11:32 PM

Malus Darkblade's Flag is: Kuwait

I think it's nice to finally touch upon the longevity of Astartes physiology.

Our only non-Chaos related example is Dante who has never been discussed in novels and some tidbit about a Salamander someone stumbles upon who has been alive for IIRC 10,000 years, which is unrealistic.
post #198 of 600 (permalink) Old 06-17-14, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Scion of Chemos View Post
It is also worth noting that Sigismund DOES die, and since he is a Space Marine, he probably died in glorious battle! And all of those Chaos warriors, are imbued by the power of gods(at least in 40k, I am behind in the HH lol)
I doubt ADB would give such a loved character a terrible death. As a newish reader of ADBs stuff, I feel content to trust him with it. Sure, since Abaddon is Abaddon, I have no doubt he will be badass, but that doesn't mean Sigis wont be too!
And why does everyone seem to think he is old and worthless at 800-1k?? Dante is still kicking ass at 1K+? I bet it will be an epic battle, definitely worthy of Sigismund.
Excuse the cutting and posting from Bolter & Chainsword, but it's pleasantly relevant.

In this case, at the last BL Weekender on one of the Heresy panels, it was asked what happened in the First Black Crusade, seeing as Cadia wasn't reinforced by that point. And I replied that I liked the idea of the Imperium victorious after the Scouring, committing the Nine Legions to the role of myth and legend while the Legions were trapped in the purgatory of the Eye. So when the newly formed Black Legion returns at the vanguard of the Armies of the Damned, they're almost entirely unopposed. Almost. "There's this ancient knight-king, leaning on his sword as he sits on his throne, a thousand years old but too proud and dutiful to die. And when the Black Legion break out of the Eye, the Black Templars are waiting for them." Hugely outnumbered: the only ones that insisted the Imperium's sins would come home to roost, the only Chapter to face humanity's sins coming back to haunt the species. As the Crusade unfolds, a lot of the Imperium joins in. But Sigismund was there first, waiting for Abaddon. The one duel he never got to fight on Terra.

And then I turned to my editor and said "That'll be Book Two."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of the Night View Post
The information we have on Dorn says he went missing in the 1st Black Crusade.

...but Dorn's death isn't definitively confirmed anymore. Now it's the mystery of whether or not he did die.
And again...:

"I thought that's where Dorn went down originally, but nope. Dorn dies aboard the Sword of Sacrilege in "a Black Crusade" between the First and Second (apparently not even one of Abaddon's, according to the Lore Peeps). I've got the actual date in my notes, but I'm on my iPad on my break. Early M32, I think. A couple of hundred years after the First Black Crusade, either way. (This all came from one of the meetings/documents where we had to plan out just what actual dates the primarchs all went down.)

Which is annoying, as I had this whole theme idea of it being the moment the Imperium finally has to accept that the tides have changed, and so on. But we had a bunch of talks about this, and Dorn was off the cards for anything like that. Someone wanted to do something with him elsewhere at some point, so it was vetoed by virtue of them asking first. No biggie, though. Ideas are free. Always more where they came from, and I prefer the resonance and symmetry of it being Sigismund. Someone else can tell Dorn's tale."

--- --- ---

And regarding WoT's unrest, where he was the only dissenting voice on the 15-page Bolter & Chainsword thread too, so I'm familiar with his perfectly valid unease:

"As as ludicrously conservative as I am on the Heresy team, and as much as I desperately say things like "We don't need to answer every mystery" and "We don't need to subvert everything" and "Our lives aren't made better by knowing Darth Vader was a little kid who built C3-P0" - in this case, I'm just not going to agree, dude. And I think I've made a good case for why, as has pretty much everyone else in this thread.

I don't see this as a diminishing factor in 40K's mystery. If it was a pointless/uninteresting/unthematic/gratuitous death, sure. But I like this one a lot. Some answers, thankfully, are great. This isn't the Lost Legions. It's a main character in the license, these days. If I don't touch it, you can guarantee someone else will. We know he dies, because all Space Marines die. Now we probably know how.

It's 8,000 years or so before the Dark Millennium, so they'll likely have forgotten it anyway."
post #199 of 600 (permalink) Old 06-17-14, 09:56 AM

Words_of_Truth's Flag is: United Kingdom

Its not my intention to be a pain in the ass, it's just the way I feel.

At least I'm consistent.
post #200 of 600 (permalink) Old 06-17-14, 09:57 AM
Chaos God of Old Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead.Blue.Clown View Post
Excuse the cutting and posting from Bolter & Chainsword, but it's pleasantly relevant.

In this case, at the last BL Weekender on one of the Heresy panels, it was asked what happened in the First Black Crusade, seeing as Cadia wasn't reinforced by that point. And I replied that I liked the idea of the Imperium victorious after the Scouring, committing the Nine Legions to the role of myth and legend while the Legions were trapped in the purgatory of the Eye. So when the newly formed Black Legion returns at the vanguard of the Armies of the Damned, they're almost entirely unopposed. Almost. "There's this ancient knight-king, leaning on his sword as he sits on his throne, a thousand years old but too proud and dutiful to die. And when the Black Legion break out of the Eye, the Black Templars are waiting for them." Hugely outnumbered: the only ones that insisted the Imperium's sins would come home to roost, the only Chapter to face humanity's sins coming back to haunt the species. As the Crusade unfolds, a lot of the Imperium joins in. But Sigismund was there first, waiting for Abaddon. The one duel he never got to fight on Terra.

And then I turned to my editor and said "That'll be Book Two."
The images that this conjures up are nothing short of epic. The Black Templars, the sole voice of warning in the Imperium that has become buoyant on it's "victory" against the Traitors of Horus, and when nobody is willing to listen the Templars go to the Eye of Terror alone to await the Legions returning to bring hell to the Imperium once again. I wonder if this conflict will be one of the reasons the Templars maintain such high numbers, so that when the Legions march they can match their numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead.Blue.Clown View Post
I don't see this as a diminishing factor in 40K's mystery. If it was a pointless/uninteresting/unthematic/gratuitous death, sure. But I like this one a lot. Some answers, thankfully, are great. This isn't the Lost Legions. It's a main character in the license, these days. If I don't touch it, you can guarantee someone else will. We know he dies, because all Space Marines die. Now we probably know how.

It's 8,000 years or so before the Dark Millennium, so they'll likely have forgotten it anyway."[/I]
Exactly. As much as we'd sometimes like to think the characters we like, for me First Claw, will never meet their end and that they'll still be around a thousand years from the current timeline. But as ADB says all Space Marines die eventually, like First Claw *sniff*, but at least when Sigismund does die we know it will be a grand death, worthy of the First Templar.

LotN

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Black Library Fiction

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode