Black Legion Series (ADB) - Page 12 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Black Library Fiction Here is where you can discuss your favourite Black Library publications and graphic novels. If it's published by Black Library it goes here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #111 of 600 (permalink) Old 08-18-13, 04:58 PM

ADB - One oft he reasons you are so popular with the BL fanbase is due to the fact that you happily/readily engage with said fanbase and that you are clearly a fan of W40k yourself! So thanks for engaging regularly!

There has been plenty of discussion over the years on various fora about the "lack of success/failure" of the Black Crusades. I am assuming this is one "myth" you intend to address in this Black Legion series right?

I have always wondered whether the vagueries and time distortion of the Warp (and residing in the Eye of Terror) may have something to do with the perception around the seemingly disjointed nature of the Black Crusades.

It could be that time is not linear in the Warp/Eye of Terror and as such the order in which realspace/the Imperium experiences the Black Crusades makes it impossible to discern a pattern and overall strategy. (ie it makes sense to Abaddon but not to the Imperium).

OR

It could simply be that time runs at a different pace in the Warp/Eye of Terror so Abaddon has only experienced centuries rather than millennia, so if the Black Crusades were seen over a shorter period of time the strategy would be easier to discern?

OR

it could be something else entirely!!!!!!

Just wondering what your view is on this?

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #112 of 600 (permalink) Old 08-18-13, 05:24 PM

I'm obviously not ADB, but I think part of the Black Crusades is that the Chaos forces are largely a loose collection of warbands that all have their own agenda and are generally just as happy to fight amongst one another as they are forces of the Imperium or anyone else. So it takes time for someone like Abaddon to get together enough forces to launch a Black Crusade.

There are a few hints at this in the Night Lords books where Abaddon pops up briefly. Talos says something about how it seems like all the Black Crusades failed and did little more than dwindle the forces aimed at overthrowing the Imperium and Abaddon retorts saying how that assumes his goal was the destruction of the Imperium each time and not something more specific. There's also some brief mention about how soon Abaddon would be calling for Chaos forces to join his new Black Crusade and the Night Lords will answer.

So given time passes differently in the eye, it's probably just that it takes a few centuries to pull together enough forces to launch a Black Crusade. Plus you'd need some kind of objective and general strategy of how you plan to achieve that objective. You don't just plan a massive invasion in a few days.
post #113 of 600 (permalink) Old 08-22-13, 03:56 PM
Chaos God of Old Night

Lord of the Night's Flag is: United Kingdom

http://aarondembskibowden.wordpress....about-abaddon/

Urgent message to all Black Legion fans: Read that. NOW!

LotN

https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...red-souls.html - The Kabal of Shattered Souls Project Log
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/...Book%20Reviews - Check out Talk Wargaming for reviews by Lord of the Night.

post #114 of 600 (permalink) Old 08-22-13, 10:12 PM
Bane of Empires

Child-of-the-Emperor's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of the Night View Post

LotN
I know AD-B didn't write that description, but it captures Abaddon absolutely perfectly. A very thought-provoking read and really elaborates The Despoiler's character. I am very, very much looking forward to reading The Talon of Horus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cegorach View Post
I do love how we don't even need CotE to comment anymore, chances are he has already said something intelligent before that can be re-applied to the current situation.
Heresy's Background FAQ. (Fluff Project)
CotE Reviews: Prospero Burns (HH Review), Age of Darkness (HH Review).

Last edited by Child-of-the-Emperor; 08-22-13 at 11:37 PM.
post #115 of 600 (permalink) Old 08-22-13, 11:19 PM

Quote:

LotN
Fucking Intense....
post #116 of 600 (permalink) Old 08-23-13, 08:44 AM
Herald of The Warp

Nordicus's Flag is: Denmark

Quote:

LotN
That. Was. Awesome.
post #117 of 600 (permalink) Old 08-23-13, 06:43 PM

Quote:

LotN
Reading that makes me think it'd be interesting if, at some point anyway, ADB went into a bit more detail about what drove Horus to fall to Chaos and all that. I know this is meant to be Abaddon's story, but it'd be a good opening chapter or prolog don't you think? It starts off filling in some of the gaps left by False Gods and maybe hits a few highlights along the way of the Heresy, culminating in the Chaos gods abandoning Horus at the 11th hour, all setting the stage for the development of Abaddon's character. After all, at least insofar as this potential series of books on Abaddon and the Black Legion go, Horus's rise and fall in the eyes of the Chaos gods is kind of the pivotal moment.
post #118 of 600 (permalink) Old 08-24-13, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke_Leto View Post
ADB - One oft he reasons you are so popular with the BL fanbase is due to the fact that you happily/readily engage with said fanbase and that you are clearly a fan of W40k yourself! So thanks for engaging regularly!

There has been plenty of discussion over the years on various fora about the "lack of success/failure" of the Black Crusades. I am assuming this is one "myth" you intend to address in this Black Legion series right?
I'd say the whole Failbaddon thing is the greatest obstacle for the Black Legion. In a way it was discussed earlier in this thread. The Black Legion Supplement was a breath of fresh air in that regard, but it still remains to be seen if the new fluff can convince people that Abaddon is not an incompetent moron.

I'm not particularly optimistic (Although that it's part due to my pessimistic nature) that it will necessarily happen on a wide scale. IMO, the Failbaddon meme is particularly deeply entrenched to the point were even Black Library novels are giving it nods here and there. The Supplement and the upcoming novel are particularly interesting, but it strikes me as too little, too late in regards to Abaddon.
post #119 of 600 (permalink) Old 08-29-13, 11:06 AM
Chaos God of Old Night

Lord of the Night's Flag is: United Kingdom

Two interesting new lore pieces about Abaddon from the Black Legion Codex Supplement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexicanum
Shortly after the Heresy, Abaddon abandoned the Legion; broken by the death of Horus and sick of war, he wandered alone into the Eye of Terror. Meanwhile, within the Eye itself, civil war soon broke out amongst the traitor Legions. Becoming embroiled in a war against the Emperor's Children, the Sons of Horus' fortress on Maeleum was destroyed and the Emperor's Children stole the corpse of Warmaster Horus himself. Eventually with the help of Fabius Bile, a number of clones of Horus were created, an act which disgusted the Sons of Horus. At this point Abaddon, disgusted by the actions of the Emperor's Children against his Primarch, returned and took the position of Warmaster and leader of his legion. Abaddon led his forces in a lightning raid on the Emperor's Children's stronghold, destroying all the clones of Horus. After his victory, Abaddon proceeded to purge the Black Legion of traitorous and self-serving elements, such as the Word Bearers champion Rynax the Unspoken, the Nurgle Chaos Lord Purgor the Putrescent, and the Slaaneshi Sorcerer Hexagalimere. Making a bloody examples of these Renegades, Abaddon was able to cement his hold on power over the Legion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexicanum
During his centuries of exile, Abaddon visited each of the six Daemon Primarchs, attempting to receive aid from each.

From Angron he gained the favor of Khorne by fighting the Primarch's daemonic champions on Goreswirl.

From Mortarion, he earned the favor of Nurgle in exchange for the the Chaos artifact known as the Hand of Darkness, which the Lord of the Death Guard sought to use to craft a Zombie Plague.

Though Magnus the Red, refused to meet with him, Abaddon still gained the blessing of Tzeentch in exchange for the Eye of Night, the sightless remnant of the Stone God. He he then turned to Ahriman, who in turn pledged the services of his Rubric Marines to the Despoilers cause.

From Fulgrim, the Despoiler was given the favor of Slaanesh in exchange for a Pythosian Psyker, offered as an unblemished vessel to contain the avatar of Slaanesh.

From Lorgar, the Warmaster learned the rare art of Daemonancy. Lorgar proved willing to aid Abaddon due to his hatred of the Adeptus Ministorum.

From Perturabo, Abaddon was given vast Daemon Engines produced deep within the Eye of Terror. The Iron Warriors proved eager to test these weapons against the renown defenses of Cadia.
I know that ADB said the Codex is a more mythological text and the novel series may differ, but I do hope we get to see some of this stuff in the series. I'm particularly interested by what he gave Fulgrim, a psyker that could contain an avatar of Slaanesh?? Must either be a truly innocent being or a very very powerful one. And the lords he killed for trying to poach Black Legion marines at the beginning, I hope we see that as well.

LotN

https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...red-souls.html - The Kabal of Shattered Souls Project Log
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/...Book%20Reviews - Check out Talk Wargaming for reviews by Lord of the Night.
post #120 of 600 (permalink) Old 08-29-13, 11:59 AM

Malus Darkblade's Flag is: Kuwait

Quote:
Originally Posted by Child-of-the-Emperor View Post
I know AD-B didn't write that description, but it captures Abaddon absolutely perfectly. A very thought-provoking read and really elaborates The Despoiler's character. I am very, very much looking forward to reading The Talon of Horus.
'In recent months, as The Talon of Horus rolls ever onward, Iíve spilled a wealth of words on Ezekyle Abaddon and the Black Legion over emails and hastily-chucked notes to various other authors and IP-tastic souls in the dark conclave of Those Who Contribute to 40K.'

I wonder if you contributed/offered advice CoTE.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Black Library Fiction

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode