Black Legion Series (ADB) - Page 11 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Black Library Fiction Here is where you can discuss your favourite Black Library publications and graphic novels. If it's published by Black Library it goes here.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #101 of 600 (permalink) Old 08-14-13, 11:37 AM
Chaos God of Old Night
 
Lord of the Night's Avatar
Lord of the Night's Flag is: United Kingdom
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: The Eternal Night
Posts: 5,028
Reputation: 48
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontytheMighty View Post
Where may I read the original lore regarding this Blood Angels vs. Black Legion conflict?
http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/7th_...e#.Ugtd2G2mWQo

Right there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontytheMighty View Post
How can there be thousands of Blood Angel corpses if a chapter is around 1,000 space marines? I'm guessing he means "hundreds"?
See my post above yours.


LotN



https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...red-souls.html - The Kabal of Shattered Souls Project Log
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/...Book%20Reviews - Check out Talk Wargaming for reviews by Lord of the Night.
Lord of the Night is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #102 of 600 (permalink) Old 08-14-13, 11:39 AM
Chaos God of Old Night
 
Lord of the Night's Avatar
Lord of the Night's Flag is: United Kingdom
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: The Eternal Night
Posts: 5,028
Reputation: 48
Default

I actually have three questions for you ADB about the RotW (Rise of the Warmaster) series, two general questions and one regarding a character.

1. You've mentioned a few times that this series is potentially going to be a long-running series similar to Gaunt's Ghosts and Gotrek and Felix. But I remember when you said there would be two Night Lords trilogies and that as the first trilogy was written you determined that one would be enough to tell Talos and First Claw's story. Do you think the odds are in favour that Rise of the Warmaster series will be a long running series or that the odds are in favour of a trilogy being the limit for the series??

2. If the series does become a long-running one what content would you say it would feature, by that I mean what exactly qualifies as worthy content to become part of the series. The Black Crusades obviously but are they the limit to it?? Could other noteworthy battles and such involving the Black Legion feature in the series, or entirely new content that you create for the series? I ask because I am curious about the timeframe of the series, if it were to just focus on the Black Crusades then timeskips would be frequent in the series since each one is separated by at least 1000 years, and because of that if there were timeskips it would mean the characters would only be seen in intervals of time across the 10,000 years between the Heresy and the 13th Crusade, but if the Crusades were only a part of the series and it were to feature other things then the series would not only become much larger but we would see much more of the characters and their development across said 10k years. So in a nutshell my question is, could other Black Legion adventures/battles/incidents/etc be a part of the series as much as the Black Crusades or would the crusades be the primary focus of the series??

3. Will the other character mentioned in that extract, Telemachon Lyras, be a prominent character in the series or is he just around in the 7th Crusade??

If you can't answer these yet for whatever reason then I understand and apologies for asking prematurely.


LotN



https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...red-souls.html - The Kabal of Shattered Souls Project Log
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/...Book%20Reviews - Check out Talk Wargaming for reviews by Lord of the Night.

Last edited by Lord of the Night; 08-14-13 at 12:39 PM.
Lord of the Night is offline  
post #103 of 600 (permalink) Old 08-14-13, 01:03 PM
Senior Member
 
Dead.Blue.Clown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 456
Reputation: 7
Default

Yeah, looks typotastic to me. I'd expect that typo to be fixed in the next weekly update. The blessings of eBooks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of the Night View Post
I actually have three questions for you ADB about the RotW (Rise of the Warmaster) series, two general questions and one regarding a character.
I'm on a lunchbreak. Hit me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of the Night View Post
1. You've mentioned a few times that this series is potentially going to be a long-running series similar to Gaunt's Ghosts and Gotrek and Felix. But I remember when you said there would be two Night Lords trilogies and that as the first trilogy was written you determined that one would be enough to tell Talos and First Claw's story. Do you think the odds are in favour that Rise of the Warmaster series will be a long running series or that the odds are in favour of a trilogy being the limit for the series??
My editors were the ones who first suggested it being a long-running series. Originally, I was thinking of doing a couple of post-Heresy novels about the Sons of Horus becoming the Black Legion, and the First Black Crusade, but they essentially said "Why not make it your Gaunt's Ghosts?"

I can't say the odds, for sure. Because of the scale, it's essentially 'The Story of the Chaos Marines', and the scope's basically infinite. There's no shortage of source material, and a truly, truly terrifying amount to write about.

If there's not a series, it'll be because I got bored, or the editors hate it, or because the first three don't sell. And you can slap any name on the cover, here - I'm completely irrelevant, as the strength of the Chaos IP and Abaddon on the cover will see decent sales alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of the Night View Post
2. If the series does become a long-running one what content would you say it would feature, by that I mean what exactly qualifies as worthy content to become part of the series. The Black Crusades obviously but are they the limit to it?? Could other noteworthy battles and such involving the Black Legion feature in the series, or entirely new content that you create for the series? I ask because I am curious about the timeframe of the series, if it were to just focus on the Black Crusades then timeskips would be frequent in the series since each one is separated by at least 1000 years, and because of that if there were timeskips it would mean the characters would only be seen in intervals of time across the 10,000 years between the Heresy and the 13th Crusade, but if the Crusades were only a part of the series and it were to feature other things then the series would not only become much larger but we would see much more of the characters and their development across said 10k years. So in a nutshell my question is, could other Black Legion adventures/battles/incidents/etc be a part of the series as much as the Black Crusades or would the crusades be the primary focus of the series??
I suspect the Black Crusades would be the major focal points for a potential series, yeah. One of the main things in my back-and-forth with GW about this (and a major aspect that I constantly harp on about) is that we've seen practically nothing of the Black Crusades in the lore. These aren't raids. These aren't invasions. They're not even wars. Take any one at random. It's a Black Crusade. More than that, it's one of the Real Deal Black Crusades, instigated by the Bringer of the End Times. Most Black Crusades will sweep over dozens/hundreds of worlds, see trillions and trillions dead, and every single one will make the Badab War or the Sabbat Worlds Crusade look like a tea party. They're the Antichrist of 40K raising the Armies of Hell, the Legions of the Underworld.

So there's a lot (read: endless) scope in that.

But no, there'd be plenty of other events. Just living in the Eye of Terror would require an immense amount of violence, negotiation, and mythological-style questing, a la the Twelve Tasks of Hercules or the Odyssey. Somewhere in my chaotic (hush, no pun intended) scatter of notes, I've got mentions of the very first time Chaos comes across the tyranids, for example. Or the Tau. Or the newly-emergent Black Legion going to war against the last Sons of Horus. Or the journey to earn the Mark of Chaos Ascendant. And what the Mark of Chaos Ascendant really, honestly means. Because it's not just a star tattooed on your head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of the Night View Post
3. Will the other character mentioned in that extract, Telemachon Lyras, be a prominent character in the series or is he just around in the 7th Crusade??
Oh, no. Telemachon is a major character, around at the founding of the Black Legion. And Khayon despises him.

Last edited by Dead.Blue.Clown; 08-14-13 at 01:12 PM.
Dead.Blue.Clown is offline  
 
post #104 of 600 (permalink) Old 08-14-13, 01:25 PM
Heresy Online's Pet Furby
 
Tawa's Avatar
Tawa's Flag is: Scotland
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Cheshire, UK
Posts: 8,723
Reputation: 94
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead.Blue.Clown View Post
And you can slap any name on the cover, here - I'm completely irrelevant, as the strength of the Chaos IP and Abaddon on the cover will see decent sales alone.
You can always throw my name on there if you want?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace of Ultramar View Post
I think Tawa is a temporal entity that exists outside of the hobby/modeling timeline. Essentially, he's the Heresy Online equivalent of a Time Lord... which is kinda hilarious and frightening all at the same time.
"God-Emperor? Calling him a god was how all this mess started."
Tawa is offline  
post #105 of 600 (permalink) Old 08-14-13, 01:49 PM
Chaos God of Old Night
 
Lord of the Night's Avatar
Lord of the Night's Flag is: United Kingdom
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: The Eternal Night
Posts: 5,028
Reputation: 48
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead.Blue.Clown View Post
My editors were the ones who first suggested it being a long-running series. Originally, I was thinking of doing a couple of post-Heresy novels about the Sons of Horus becoming the Black Legion, and the First Black Crusade, but they essentially said "Why not make it your Gaunt's Ghosts?"

I can't say the odds, for sure. Because of the scale, it's essentially 'The Story of the Chaos Marines', and the scope's basically infinite. There's no shortage of source material, and a truly, truly terrifying amount to write about.

If there's not a series, it'll be because I got bored, or the editors hate it, or because the first three don't sell. And you can slap any name on the cover, here - I'm completely irrelevant, as the strength of the Chaos IP and Abaddon on the cover will see decent sales alone.
Hm I see. Well first off, Hail the Editors. I'm glad to know that source material isn't an issue, and as to those criteria; I can't comment on whether the editors will like it or not or that you could get bord by it, but I think sales will not be an issue. As you've said this is Abaddon and the strength of the Chaos IP will ensure if not great then at least decent sales for it. Though I disagree that you are irrelevant when considering the merits of the series. Another author would provoke a different response, what that response would be varies on the author, but so far I have not read a single complaint by anyone here, on the Bolthole or on Warseer regarding you being the author, whereas if it was another author there would definitely be those who would want someone else writing the series. This is just my opinion but I think the only two authors who have the fanbase to have any complaints about their writing a series be a very small minority are you and Dan Abnett. So that said I think that you authoring this series is quite important for it, as it has helped towards the series receiving a strong (good) reaction from the fans rather than a mixed one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead.Blue.Clown View Post
I suspect the Black Crusades would be the major focal points for a potential series, yeah. One of the main things in my back-and-forth with GW about this (and a major aspect that I constantly harp on about) is that we've seen practically nothing of the Black Crusades in the lore. These aren't raids. These aren't invasions. They're not even wars. Take any one at random. It's a Black Crusade. More than that, it's one of the Real Deal Black Crusades, instigated by the Bringer of the End Times. Most Black Crusades will sweep over dozens/hundreds of worlds, see trillions and trillions dead, and every single one will make the Badab War or the Sabbat Worlds Crusade look like a tea party. They're the Antichrist of 40K raising the Armies of Hell, the Legions of the Underworld.

So there's a lot (read: endless) scope in that.

But no, there'd be plenty of other events. Just living in the Eye of Terror would require an immense amount of violence, negotiation, and mythological-style questing, a la the Twelve Tasks of Hercules or the Odyssey. Somewhere in my chaotic (hush, no pun intended) scatter of notes, I've got mentions of the very first time Chaos comes across the tyranids, for example. Or the Tau. Or the newly-emergent Black Legion going to war against the last Sons of Horus. Or the journey to earn the Mark of Chaos Ascendant. And what the Mark of Chaos Ascendant really, honestly means. Because it's not just a star tattooed on your head.
Now this sounds great. You definitely make the Black Crusades sound like something that puts everything else on hold, and makes why the Imperium fears them so much more understandable. Considering the scale of the Sabbat Worlds, the Badab War, and all the other conflicts the Imperium has going on, that really does make the Black Crusades sound like something that everything sane, and even the insane, should fear.

Interesting. Chaos's "first contact" with the Tyranids and Tau would definitely be interesting, as both would be fairly shocking to the CSMs. The Tyraids, possibly the only thing as dangerous as they are, and the Tau, a race that is outside the Warp. I like the idea that Abaddon had to earn the Mark of Chaos Ascendant, similar to Archaon earning the Mark in WHF, and that there was conflict between the Black Legion and the remnants of the Sons of Horus. All sounding very good there ADB, all of it makes me very excited for the series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead.Blue.Clown View Post
Oh, no. Telemachon is a major character, around at the founding of the Black Legion. And Khayon despises him.
Ooo interesting. I checked your blog and your one mention of Telemachon said that he is involved with the Emperor's Children. So i'm going to go out on a limb here and say the words "peacock" and "fop" could be used to describe him.

Thanks for the answers ADB, you've given me a few things to think about. Particularly the scale of the Black Crusades, your description does sound much better than previous descriptions of them. Looking forward to hearing more about the series.


LotN



https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...red-souls.html - The Kabal of Shattered Souls Project Log
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/...Book%20Reviews - Check out Talk Wargaming for reviews by Lord of the Night.
Lord of the Night is offline  
post #106 of 600 (permalink) Old 08-14-13, 02:43 PM
Senior Member
 
Words_of_Truth's Avatar
Words_of_Truth's Flag is: United Kingdom
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Birmingham, England
Posts: 7,003
Reputation: 30
Default

Are you going to cover the Black Crusade where Rogal Dorn is supposed killed/lost/(other conspiracy theories here)?
Words_of_Truth is offline  
post #107 of 600 (permalink) Old 08-17-13, 10:35 AM
Member
 
Liliedhe's Avatar
Liliedhe's Flag is: Austria
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Vienna, Austria
Posts: 81
Reputation: 34
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead.Blue.Clown View Post
I, uh, actually wrote that Index Astartes: Death Company article.

I mean, I had a lot (no, really, a lot) of feedback on the Black Legion Codex, too. But I totally wrote the Index Astartes: Death Comapny article, hence the specific note, there.

I did the Munitorum: Chainswords article, too.

Hoping to do a few more in the future, but it all comes down to time.
Did you write the Abaddon Article, too? I was wondering if you had any input on it, because it contained a couple of new and very interesting tidbits I'd have expected to be addressed in your novel.
Liliedhe is offline  
post #108 of 600 (permalink) Old 08-17-13, 11:09 AM
Senior Member
 
Dead.Blue.Clown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 456
Reputation: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liliedhe View Post
Did you write the Abaddon Article, too? I was wondering if you had any input on it, because it contained a couple of new and very interesting tidbits I'd have expected to be addressed in your novel.
Nope - there was talk of me doing it (and the Black Legion Codex), but it came down to time and miscommunication. I've had a lot of back and forth with HQ about Abaddon, though.

There'll be differences between the codex and the novel series. Partly because, as always, the codex text is a fairly mythological listing of events that doesn't always hold up to realistic scrutiny, partly because that's the intention, and partly because it's what always happens when you've got two different writers drawing from the same source.

Last edited by Dead.Blue.Clown; 08-17-13 at 11:19 AM.
Dead.Blue.Clown is offline  
post #109 of 600 (permalink) Old 08-17-13, 12:19 PM
Member
 
Liliedhe's Avatar
Liliedhe's Flag is: Austria
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Vienna, Austria
Posts: 81
Reputation: 34
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead.Blue.Clown View Post
Nope - there was talk of me doing it (and the Black Legion Codex), but it came down to time and miscommunication. I've had a lot of back and forth with HQ about Abaddon, though.

There'll be differences between the codex and the novel series. Partly because, as always, the codex text is a fairly mythological listing of events that doesn't always hold up to realistic scrutiny, partly because that's the intention, and partly because it's what always happens when you've got two different writers drawing from the same source.
Thank you for answering my question. So I will ask another one (I am a curious person, I can't help it): will there be some more information on Abaddon's deeds on Cthonia? Before he joined the Legion? I am very eager to learn more about what was hinted at in the article...
Liliedhe is offline  
post #110 of 600 (permalink) Old 08-17-13, 03:01 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 443
Reputation: 1
Default

Just to say, I am really looking forward to these books.

ADB - if you read this I would want to tell you that 40k novels are generally guilty pleasures for me, but your novels and those of Abnet are genuinely excellently written and i would happily recommend to those totally uninterested in 40k. I hope you write some non-40k novels sometime.
LazyG is offline  
Reply

  Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Black Library Fiction

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome