The Old World and where to start? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Black Library Fiction Here is where you can discuss your favourite Black Library publications and graphic novels. If it's published by Black Library it goes here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-13, 05:45 AM Thread Starter

Default The Old World and where to start?

They have seemingly sped up their release date schedule and real life plus college courses mixed in, I am having a hard time keeping up lol. On top of it all I am becoming a little burnt out on the series endlessly droning on (not that I have a problem with it, but every now and then I need a break). Beyond Star Wars, there is really no other series I have given a chance. I have been tempted by trying to break into the Old World as a break from Space Marines, but I (having no idea about any of it) have no idea where to begin. I was thinking of starting at the beginning of the time line with the Time of Legends stuff. My old roommate (who got me into 40k) always talked highly of the Time of Legends stuff. In your opinion would that be the best place to be introduced into the time period and the lore? or would something like the Gotrek and Felix storys be better to start with (kinda like the Gaunts Ghosts can introduce someone to the 40k universe?)

Basically all I know is that the whole series takes place on one world and Chaos exists in this storyline with the same Gods as in the 40k. Beyond that I have no idea, no idea on factions, faith, races, etc, nothing... so any idea on the best starting place would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Khyzer; 03-26-13 at 05:48 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-13, 11:16 AM
Brother Lucian's Flag is: Denmark

If theres any of the main races in the old world that interests you, I could recommend some books for you. Orks, Undead, Brettonnia, Empire, Kislev, Chaos, Lizardmen, High Elves, Dark Elves, Dwarves, Chaos Dwarves, Skaven. Which I think covers the majority.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-13, 07:59 PM
Chaos God of Old Night

Lord of the Night's Flag is: United Kingdom

Well there are plenty of places to get started on.

If Time of Legends is what your interested in I would definitely recommend C.L Werner's Black Plague trilogy. I haven't read the others and what I have read was good but not really enough to get me to read the rest of the series. But I would suggest that you read whichever topic interests you the most. Sigmar Heldenhammer and his founding of the Empire; the Sundering of the Elves into the High Elves and Dark Elves; or the rise, reign and fall of Nagash the Usurper and the end of the kingdom of Nehekhara.

There are several omnibuses that I would say are a great choice for a new reader. The Chronicles of Malus Darkblade was the first WHF, and general fantasy, series that I ever read and it got me into the entire fantasy genre. Anthony Reynolds' Knights of Bretonnia series is a good one as well, but the real classics of fantasy imo are C.L Werner's works. Brunner the Bounty Hunter and Mathias Thulmann: Witch Hunter are both excellent series and must-reads for any WHF fan.

Also Gotrek and Felix is a great starting place, a good long running series that is branching out into novellas and stand-alone novels and audios. And it has two spin-off series, Ulrika the Vampire and Thanquol and Boneripper, the latter of which is tied with Darkblade for my favourite fantasy series.

Warhammer Heroes is also a good series to get into. Each book is a stand-alone novel about a Hero or Villain of the setting and focuses on telling a story about them, sometimes their origin story, or a new story that explores these characters beyond an Army Book page. So far the best of them, imo, are Van Horstmann by Ben Counter, Luthor Huss by Chris Wraight, The Swords of the Emperor duology by Chris Wraight is absolutely epic, and The Red Duke by C.L Werner. (Still waiting on Lokhir Fellheart, seriously whoever writes a WH Heroes novel about him will be my hero.)

LotN

https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...red-souls.html - The Kabal of Shattered Souls Project Log
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/...Book%20Reviews - Check out Talk Wargaming for reviews by Lord of the Night.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-13, 08:10 PM
Brother Lucian's Flag is: Denmark

Note, only first part of the Black Plague series is out, second is comming soon.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-13, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

Ugh, you make it sound so great that I want to read them all right now lol, but where to find all the time and money for all that haha. I am having a hard enough time keeping up with just the 40k universe lol.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-13, 10:19 PM
Vaz

Vaz's Flag is: United Kingdom

There are several I'd advise: The Ambassador Chronicles, Time of Legends Malekith/Shadowking/Caledor, Nagash 1, 2, 3, Black War 1 and eventually 2. Ulrika novels (and gotrek and felix up to vampire slayer to get the background), the florin novels, and gordon rennies zavant. CL werner is a solid bet, especially later on.

Things to avoid- anything written by sarah cawkwell, graham mcneil (outside of the ambassador, that was his Thousand Sons of Fantasy), nick kyme (seriously i don't wipe my dogs arse with his rubbish)

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi Baji View Post
It's not a black and white question really, there are different shades of anal probing,
a rectum spectrum, if you will
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-13, 10:25 PM
Chaos God of Old Night

Lord of the Night's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
C.L Werner is a solid bet, especially later on.
C.L Werner is always a solid bet. There's nothing he hasn't written that isn't great. Especially his Chaos Wastes series, that Khyzer is something else I would recommend you try if you can get your hands on them. Palace of the Plague Lord and Blood for the Blood God! Both are novels that any Chaos fan will deeply enjoy, for their uncompromising and grim look into Chaos in fantasy.

LotN

https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...red-souls.html - The Kabal of Shattered Souls Project Log
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/...Book%20Reviews - Check out Talk Wargaming for reviews by Lord of the Night.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-13, 10:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of the Night View Post
C.L Werner is always a solid bet. There's nothing he hasn't written that isn't great. Especially his Chaos Wastes series, that Khyzer is something else I would recommend you try if you can get your hands on them. Palace of the Plague Lord and Blood for the Blood God! Both are novels that any Chaos fan will deeply enjoy, for their uncompromising and grim look into Chaos in fantasy.

LotN
I've always heard amazing things about C.L. Werner and he definitely won my attention and adoration after I read Siege of Castellax. I am more hoping to start with novels that set a base and a background to the world. It is a pet peeve of mine, where in a story they relate back to events of the past or key characters that are covered in another book. Like the myriad of references to Macharius in the 40k universe. So I usually find myself putting a bookmark in my books and running to Lexicanum to "be in" on the references lol... OCD I know...

Thats why I was thinking at starting at the beginning of the timeline (I believe its the beginning anyways...) with Legend of Sigmar, The Sundering, The Rise of Nagash, etc.

Going to have to buy a new bookcase for this new collection I am about to collect lol.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-06-13, 05:10 AM

I haven't read the Legend of Sigmar so I can't comment on that but I guess starting at the beginning would be good if you are unfamiliar with the fluff. However, I will say that The Sword of the Emperor set is a fantastic read. If you're a fan of dwarfs you may enjoy Nick Khyme's works. I believe his fantasy writing is far, far better than what he has done for 40K (which I find pretty much unreadable).
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-06-13, 10:59 PM

High_Seraph's Flag is: USA

Sorry for some thread hi-jacking but why read Gotrek and Felix up to Vampire Slayer Vaz? Is that when the series declines or just for the info in Ulrika as that has been something I have been wanting to pick up.

"Loyalty is its own reward."
Lion El'Jonson.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Black Library Fiction

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode