Nemesis - Page 3 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Black Library Fiction Here is where you can discuss your favourite Black Library publications and graphic novels. If it's published by Black Library it goes here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-14-13, 09:09 PM
WFB Moderator

Tim/Steve's Flag is: United Kingdom

Kell is a good character... just not worthy of being the lead. I had serious troubles with confusing the cullexus and callidus with each other as I read this one. They were so similar in almost every aspect and the level of crap I didn't give about either one meant I had to keep checking which I was reading about (or figure it out a few pages further in).
Generally I though Soalm, Kell and Spear were decent characters and if they had been in the periphery they would have been supurb... but they really couldn't keep they story going by themselves.

Overall I think its an incredibly hard task to set someone to write a story about a bunch of loners and to make it interesting... and this book certainly didn't succeed in that aim. but having said that there were interesting sections and the descriptions of the assassins when they were operating alone was pretty cool. A long way from the best best HH book... but also a hell of a long way from the likes of Fallen Angels (and they were better then the few books I've binned before getting more then a chapter into).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-14-13, 09:44 PM
The Emperor Protects

Angel of Blood's Flag is: Wales

Even now after all this time, I still don't understand the rationality behind Kells final decision. Just seems so absurdly pointless.
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-14-13, 10:28 PM
WFB Moderator

Tim/Steve's Flag is: United Kingdom

I can't even remember the ending... which is rare for a HH book. I can remember them firing the laser and a few bits and bobs but generally its a complete blank. It was THAT good

post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-15-13, 01:13 PM
Angryman

shaantitus's Flag is: Australia

Location: A wretched hive of scum and villany. Actually PNG. Goddamn this place is a shithole.

Two things. I think sometimes that we can get a little overly critical of the HH books. They are generally written by second string writers, they are not usually the best that is avaialble in the literary world. There are some that rate very highly, ADB and abnett among others, but personally i am just happy that there is extensive fluff material being written for the game we all enjoy. Secondly, it is a bit much to complain about the garantine being one dimensional. He is meant to be. He kills, in practise he has the same function as a food processor. Press a button, and everything within a certain distance is rendered down to paste. My food processor doesnt say much.....

Sanity is for the weak.
'Evil will triumph because good is dumb.' Dark Helmet,Spaceballs
According to LUKEVALENTINE's test i am a diciple of khorne. Figures really.
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-15-13, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

Logaan's Flag is: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaantitus View Post
. Secondly, it is a bit much to complain about the garantine being one dimensional. He is meant to be. He kills, in practise he has the same function as a food processor. Press a button, and everything within a certain distance is rendered down to paste. My food processor doesnt say much.....
I totally understand what you're saying.

He could have been a brilliant creation, it was just the childish purile manner in which Swallow went about it that was the galling part. The Spear element was, in my opinion, fantastically written and so how he managed to cram two completely different styles into one book is quite baffling.

The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Black Library Fiction

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode