Opinions on the following - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Black Library Fiction Here is where you can discuss your favourite Black Library publications and graphic novels. If it's published by Black Library it goes here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-11-13, 11:02 PM
The Emperor Protects

Angel of Blood's Flag is: Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by warsmith7752 View Post
I'm looking to get my next batch of black library books to get through over the next 6 or so months, the following is my list for what I think I'm going to get and I'd like to hear your opinions on the books before I buy them.

40k power armour stories (sm battles):
The Gildar Rift
The Death of Antagonis
The seige of Castellax
Architect of Fate
Flesh of Cretacia

Horus heresy:
Fear to Tread
Angel Exterminatus
Legion

I have read Horus rising and prospero burns from the Horus Heresy sieries already. Although i have to admit that i have not read nearly as much as i would like from the series.
I'd miss Fear to Tead out. Potentially one of the worst books I've ever read and a colossal disappointment on every single level.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-12-13, 12:21 PM

dickie bell's Flag is: Scotland

fear to tread improves a lot with a second read imo , just because other people don't like it doesn't mean you won't like it.
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-12-13, 01:53 PM

Default !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malus Darkblade View Post
Crimson Fist was a short story in the Age of Darkness anthology I believe.
It was in Shadows of Treachery although I think you can still buy it stand alone as an ebook.

Anyways, Flesh of Cretacia is a really good Novella especially if you like The Flesh Tearers and I'd give Fear To Tread a chance, it's not the best Horus Heresy book but it's enjoyable enough!

post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-12-13, 02:12 PM

I agree, the first part of Fear to Tread was pretty silly, I like and support the idea of

but I believed the second half more then made up for itself. By far not the best HH novel I have read to date, but I don't believe it warrants quite the amount of hate it receives on these forums. It is a fun read, and there are quite some badass moments for Sanguinius, especially against Ka'Bandha.
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-12-13, 05:57 PM
The Emperor Protects

Angel of Blood's Flag is: Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickie bell View Post
fear to tread improves a lot with a second read imo , just because other people don't like it doesn't mean you won't like it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khyzer View Post
I agree, the first part of Fear to Tread was pretty silly, I like and support the idea of

but I believed the second half more then made up for itself. By far not the best HH novel I have read to date, but I don't believe it warrants quite the amount of hate it receives on these forums. It is a fun read, and there are quite some badass moments for Sanguinius, especially against Ka'Bandha.
In fact I thought it was even worse the second time round. The chaos planet seemed even worse and more cheesy and generally shit. Sanguinius seemed even more underwhelming in every scene he appeared, quite how Swallow could make Sanguinius of all Primarchs underwhelming is beyond me. Horus, likeable good Horus at that, also seems boring and flat. All of the main characters, Raldaron, Meros, Azkaellon etc after a second reading are even more clearly lacking in any sense of character. On Raldaron, I still can't believe how a First Captain of any Legion, especially the Blood Angels good be so uninspiring, diminished, lacking in ferocity(espcially after in another novel Argel Tal bigs him up in passing. Azkaellon seems like an even bigger dick than before. And finally on the Wolves
post #16 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-12-13, 06:52 PM

hahaha, it is beyond sad that I forgot about the wolves even being in the novel until you just mentioned them.

It is a shame how right you are, now that I actually reflect back on the novel lol.
post #17 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-12-13, 07:11 PM

Bane_of_Kings's Flag is: England

Quote:
Ok, after that the books on my Definite list are as follows, new additions are marked in green.

Death of antagonis
Flesh of cretacia (read a couple reviews and the book is right up my alley)
Legion (HH)

Maybe list:
Angel exterminatus
Gildar Rift
seige of castellax
Helsreach Awesome, one of the best SMB novels to date.
Crimson Fist Pretty good Novella, one of the best stories in Shadows of Treachery aside from Prince of Crows. I'm really starting to like French's work.
Deliverance Lost A Great read, really enjoyed Gav Thorpe's take on the Raven Guard.

no:
Architect of fate
Fear to tread

Thanks again for all the advice.
Added my thoughts in yellow to the new titles.
post #18 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-13-13, 12:40 AM
Lupe's Flag is: Romania

Quote:

Architect of Fate - solid collection of short stories. 3 out of the four were quitte good, and one was simply okay.
Flesh of Cretacia - Pretty good, too. Better than Fear to Tread, if only because Amit is by far the most compelling character of FTT, and his portrayal is fairly consistent with what Swallow does.
Helsreach - Awesome book, that offers a surprisingly deep and layered perspective on a lot of aspects the 40K universe. (Astartes in relation to humans, Titan legions, the overall grim darkness of the setting, etc)
Crimson Fist - An awesome novella, although it probably loses some of its impact if you read Angel Exterminatus first.
Deliverance Lost - Great for expanding the fluff on Raven Guard, Corax and the creation of the space marines. Characters and action scenes are okay, but not entirely memorable, though.

Horus heresy:
Fear to Tread - Some swear to it, some dislike it. I found it rather okay, but it could do with some improvement.
Angel Exterminatus - Another love it or hate it book. Unlike Fear to Tread, there seems to be a consensus that Perturabo gets a brilliant portrayal (a more accurate way would be to say that he steals the spotlight and makes it his b***h from cover to cover). Everything else is greatly subjected to personal taste, but in my opinion it's one of the best books in the series
Legion - Excellent book, although with all all the gambits and deception, it could take a second reading to fully appreciate the subtleties, and even a third or fourth reading could cause some more pieces of the puzzle to fall into place...
post #19 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-13-13, 02:30 PM

I haven't read all of the titles on your list but I will comment on a few of them...

Helsreach- Simply put, one of my all time favorite loyalist SM books. I am a huge fan of ADB's writing style and I think he does a great job of delivering the grimness one should expect from Warhammer with a twist of humor here and there. His characters are rarely dull.
Deliverance Lost- Horrible. Gav Thorpe is one of the worst writers BL has. He focuses on pointless minutia to draw out already dull scenes in an effort to pump life into writing. His characters are flat and uninteresting and many of his ideas border on the ridiculous. I have sworn off buying another book of his.
Fear to Tread- I have to agree that this is not a great book. I wanted to like it since the Blood Angels are my favorite chapter but it just isn't well written. The characters are uninteresting and then there is the whole marines fighting inanimate objects thing that is just silly in my opinion. Swallow has been a stain on my beloved chapter and although this book is better than his previous BA efforts it still falls very short.
Angel Exterminatus- I liked the book quite a bit. As many have stated the portrayal of Perturabo is very good. The story is also interesting and well written.
Legion- This is also another of my favorites in the HH series. Some aspects may be sort of a leap of logic but that is the way it has been in many of the HH books. In my opinion the primarchs are far too easily swayed to heresy.
Gildar Rift- It was okay, not great but not bad either. I wouldn't put it as a high priority but if at some point down it may be worth a read. You may enjoy it more than I did.
post #20 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-13-13, 03:31 PM
Chaos God of Old Night

Lord of the Night's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
I'm looking to get my next batch of black library books to get through over the next 6 or so months, the following is my list for what I think I'm going to get and I'd like to hear your opinions on the books before I buy them.

The Gildar Rift - A rather enjoyable SMB novel, Cawkwell's Silver Skulls are very good but her Red Corsairs are better.
The Death of Antagonis - Haven't read it yet.
The Siege of Castellax - Best SMB yet. Has Chaos Space Marine characters that are true CSMs, the guys who laugh as they torture slaves just because they can. C.L Werner NEEDS to write more 40k. SOON!
Architect of Fate - A good collection of novellas. Not for everyone but I enjoyed it.
Flesh of Cretacia - Haven't read it yet.

Horus Heresy:
Fear to Tread - Excellent. Sanguinius was a great character and the battle for Signus Prime is epic.
Angel Exterminatus - Really good. Liked seeing so many familiar faces, and the Iron Warriors and Emperor's Children story was very enjoyable.
Legion - Good on some levels, but I think it's overrated. It's more of an Imperial Army novel with the Alpha Legion in a supporting role, a large one admittedly, but to me it didn't feel like an Alpha Legion focused novel.

I have read Horus rising and prospero burns from the Horus Heresy sieries already. Although i have to admit that i have not read nearly as much as i would like from the series.
Added my thoughts into the quote.

LotN

https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...red-souls.html - The Kabal of Shattered Souls Project Log
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/...Book%20Reviews - Check out Talk Wargaming for reviews by Lord of the Night.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Black Library Fiction

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode